Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest fear about AEW was that they would present the comedy stuff from BTE on their TV. With two PPVs in the bag, it seems as if this hs come true.

I was hoping for a more sports / serious type of promotion but it seems they can’t even take themselves seriously. Especially the YB seem very fond of immature rederences and humour, like putting on video game moves in a match.

If they can’t take themselves seriously, why should anyone else?

Will this keep going on once TV starts or will Khan finally have a hard talk with the ”Elite” and tell them that the kids play has to stop and that it’s time to get a bit more serious? I will still be watching the TV to try ir out but if it’s just gonna be YB trying to get laughs from their internet fans then the promotion will fail hard.

· Registered
6,258 Posts
Tony has said multiple times the BTE style will not cross over to TNT
I definitely think Khan will reign the likes of the Bucks and Omega in with BTE style stuff. I be surprised from the next show onwards you will see a lot of the comedy stuff again. The show got a lot of love but people were massively critical of the comedy skits and silly gimmick of the Librarian, I'm sure Khan won't let that happen again. Because it was Omega's show, he gave them leeway just this time.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
Firstable the videogame move in a match is because the event Is a special event in collaboration with a gaming convention and they did say they appeal to the videogame community which explains all the funny and videogame shit. ( not saying it makes it better, just that it was a special thing due to the nature of the event).
Also Tony khan already said the show wont be BTE. There is a reason why they try to throw it in every preshow. It's to try to see if they can make anything stick, so far they failed.
They said fight for the fallen will be indicative of what their TV show will be, and matt jackson said it will be a serious show with no funny shit. Guess you can do the math.
The thing that's annoying is that they tarnish their show by putting those in a "buy in" preshow.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems there's still hope things will change which is good. Just hope it's not too late come October. They are taking a huge risk by doing these things since they got all eyes on their product. If they present stuff like this, people might decide AEW is not for them and they won't get a second chance getting those people back into it, which would be sad.

· Registered
15,728 Posts
A us wrestling promotion on national TV is not going to present a sports like product. Everyone in creative/running company will see or have been alive during the success that WWF 84-89, WCW 96-98 and WWF 98-mid 01 had with cartoon comic book style tv and try to replicate it, I mean UFC and Bellator especially try to copy the over the top stuff from those periods too.

I have advocated for a more sports like product for years but it's not going to happen.

· Registered
27,554 Posts
I definitely think Khan will reign the likes of the Bucks and Omega in with BTE style stuff. I be surprised from the next show onwards you will see a lot of the comedy stuff again. The show got a lot of love but people were massively critical of the comedy skits and silly gimmick of the Librarian, I'm sure Khan won't let that happen again. Because it was Omega's show, he gave them leeway just this time.
Comedy has a definite place on the card - if everything is edgy, then nothing is - if you get my meaning?

But not as rampant as it was here - ie> 3 different matches on the card

· Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,709 Posts
IMO if people want their posts about 'silly/serious content' to be taken serious, they should actually dig into the subject. Explain approaches you want to see. Why you want to see it. How you would want to see it added. You type 250-500 words anyway, just write out a mini essay that conveys your thoughts better. Instead, most of it boils down to "I think I am a casual/lapsed fan, but I am posting on an internet forum". Why does Nakazawa for example not work to you in a way that doesn't read like "Well, he's not Randy Orton".

End of the day, you need variety. But in order to do comedy well, you need to build the guys doing that role to the entire audience. Stuff with Nakazawa is going to fall flat on people because they don't get why he's pouring oil on himself or fighting in a child-sized pool. As a result of that lack of exposure to Nakazawa or someone else doing a bit of light-hearted comedy, they get their "Hurr-durr where's muh Brock Lesnar lookalikes" stiffies in their wee briefs. Some things don't work, they know that better than anyone here. But it's something else to compound on it and make it the sole focus on any critique against AEW. Wrestling promotions don't pop on their first shows. A mixture of concern trolling and people believing they know what's best is going to give mixed feedback if they aren't well thought out in any regard.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO if people want their posts about 'silly/serious content' to be taken serious, they should actually dig into the subject. Explain approaches you want to see. Why you want to see it. How you would want to see it added. You type 250-500 words anyway, just write out a mini essay that conveys your thoughts better. Instead, most of it boils down to "I think I am a casual/lapsed fan, but I am posting on an internet forum". Why does Nakazawa for example not work to you in a way that doesn't read like "Well, he's not Randy Orton".

End of the day, you need variety. But in order to do comedy well, you need to build the guys doing that role to the entire audience. Stuff with Nakazawa is going to fall flat on people because they don't get why he's pouring oil on himself or fighting in a child-sized pool. As a result of that lack of exposure to Nakazawa or someone else doing a bit of light-hearted comedy, they get their "Hurr-durr where's muh Brock Lesnar lookalikes" stiffies in their wee briefs. Some things don't work, they know that better than anyone here. But it's something else to compound on it and make it the sole focus on any critique against AEW. Wrestling promotions don't pop on their first shows. A mixture of concern trolling and people believing they know what's best is going to give mixed feedback if they aren't well thought out in any regard.
The whole thing is just fucking stupid. Why would anyone be allowed to oil themselves up in a compeditive sport? the guy should get dqed first thing that happened. But for some reason in AEW, rules do not matter. Same thing with the 6 man tag match, the ref disnt enforce shit, everyone just dis whatever they wanted. No structure, just chaos.

· Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,709 Posts
The whole thing is just fucking stupid. Why would anyone be allowed to oil themselves up in a compeditive sport? the guy should get dqed first thing that happened. But for some reason in AEW, rules do not matter. Same thing with the 6 man tag match, the ref disnt enforce shit, everyone just dis whatever they wanted. No structure, just chaos.
The baby-oil stuff is referencing those who abuse it to look better/slicker on HD TV. That stuff is extremely slippy so Nakawaza is mocking that trope, which I think almost everyone misses the point of. If he was able to talk through stuff like that to a wider audience, I'd imagine the reception to it would be more mild than confused panic.

And lack of tag-rules is the meta of almost every organisation that isn't WWE. Check out Lucha Libre tag-wrestling. Psychology of that is tremendous despite not having WWE rules.

· Registered
27,554 Posts
I can’t stress this enough

Old writers trick - even Stephen King uses it

If everybody is a badass, or edgy - then nobody is. Edgy becomes the new normal.

You need different types of segments to let the real edgy / shocking stuff stand out

They’ll find the right balance

· Registered
2,574 Posts
My biggest fear about AEW was that they would present the comedy stuff from BTE on their TV. With two PPVs in the bag, it seems as if this hs come true.

I was hoping for a more sports / serious type of promotion but it seems they can’t even take themselves seriously. Especially the YB seem very fond of immature rederences and humour, like putting on video game moves in a match.

If they can’t take themselves seriously, why should anyone else?

Will this keep going on once TV starts or will Khan finally have a hard talk with the ”Elite” and tell them that the kids play has to stop and that it’s time to get a bit more serious? I will still be watching the TV to try ir out but if it’s just gonna be YB trying to get laughs from their internet fans then the promotion will fail hard.
One can only hope. I'm totally down with a little bit of comedy but the main event seen needs to be dark and serious in my opinion. They have the three guys at the top who could pull it off perfectly. Make that belt mean everything and have the 4 or 4 top stars in the company all hate each other and do brutal shit to each other to reach the top.

You can have babyfaces but let them have an edge and don't make them kiss the ass to much of the crowd.

· Best Post Machine
567 Posts
I just hope Orange Cassidy is there's so much fun shit you can do with him. I can already see a segment where MJF is in the back begging someone to be his tag partner for the night, camera pans out and it's OC. He's made for little pop up moments like that.
MJF and Cassidy in a tag match would be solid gold.

I'm pretty surprised they haven't put MJF in a singles match yet. I finally got around to watching All In (wasn't back into wrestling yet when it happened) and the first match with him was hilarious.

· Registered
980 Posts
Some of you guys take "everything must be serious" WAAYYYY too seriously. Just because you don't enjoy comedic aspects of something, doesn't mean other people don't. Nakazawa is one of my favourite characters on their roster and the match vs Jebailey was one of my favourite things about Fyter Fest. There's always room for SOME comedy, especially well done comedy. I'm not a fan of all the BTE stuff, but some of it I do enjoy. Let's stop prematurely shitting on what potentially might be on TV without even seeing what the first episode looks like.

Let them make some trial and error, they've had 2 shows, jesus christ.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.