Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
He will certainly be in that conversation.

Hulk Hogan, Sting, Bret Hart, Andre The Giant, Billy Graham, Bruno Sammartino, Ric Flair, The Rock, Stone Cold, Booker T, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, Adam Page, i'd say will be remembered more so than Roman Reigns, but you can have that discussion because the key word is "considered"....If you do a list of top 50 of all-time, then yes, but top 10....might be a stretch.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am a huge roman fan, and was a fan when he just started out in the fed, before he got his first baby face push. I remember before his mega push he was down to the last few in a royal rumble and the crowd (due to hating the others left) were all in romans corner and were upset he didnt eventually win. I would have pulled an audible and have him win. If he had have won that his career arc would have been even better. I also think he has received undeserved hate over the years.

Now that I have said all that, he is nowhere near GOAT talk. Maybe top 40.

·
Likes wrestling....
11,010 Posts
Yes....and no.

He will easily be considered a GOAT by the WWE machine, he almost certainly belongs in the GOAT conversation by those who consider wrestling WWE only. But in the over 100 year history of the sport....No, he is not.

He's outside the top 100 all time right now, In a few years, he might be in the top 100. But unless something changes big time, he is nothing more then in the 80's or 90's all time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
He'll be written the way DX is credited with turning the MNW's around with the tank invasion with actual fans knowing the real story. And people believe what they're told so yes, WWE will make him one of the GOATs.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Roman is literally just Lex Luger in the mid 90s, the only difference is back then Vince had to listen to his audience to draw money, now he can push who he wants because of TV deals and such. He's not even as over as your average Attitude era low midcard guy or your average Ruthless Aggression midcard guy was. If they pushed Charlie Haas or Mark Jindrak as long and as strong as they have Reigns, they could have given you comparable if not better results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When all the people in the industry say Roman is on another level right now, even MJF shows respect in interviews... I believe they know more what they're talking about more then us here. 🤷‍♂️

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,441 Posts
I imagine within WWE, he'd probably go down as kayfabe one of the greatest to have ever lived.

You only need eyes and a decent opinion to know however that hes barely top 50.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And do you think Seth Rollins and AJ Styles are goats? you are a nerd
Luckily anti-Nerd pogroms, so common in the 1980s and depicted on many movies and TV shows, are a thing of the past. Although Revenge of the Nerds taught us there are shades of grey and the nerds targeted by middle aged “letterman” and “jocks” may just turn out to be rapists.

1980s Riddle of the Sphinx: What Smelled Worse than the inside of the ATeam Van?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Take a closer look at the numbers, Reigns is a draw for today's wrestling
By today’s standards he is a draw. Which means no one outside of wresting knows him from Adam’s Ox.

How couldn’t he be a draw. The WWE still draws TV ratings and attendance, and he has been the near exclusive focus for years. The question is whether they would be drawing even fewer people/viewers if they’d made someone else the focal point or if there is any evidence he brought in new viewers. The answer to both is no. The only feedback he has gotten from the crowd is people want him to go away. Now that he has the amazing Paul Heyman, people are happy the character is improved but often indifferent and many are done with him winning every main event no matter what they do with his storylines

I don’t draw a sharp line between the Shield guys. They were all obviously booked like monsters and given insane pushes. They were all basically given everything at once. It’s just that Roman was the Hogan, Rollins was his primary rival and threat Savage, and Ambrose was supposed to be Piper- at the periphery as an attraction with nearly as formidable super powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Take a closer look at the numbers, Reigns is a draw for today's wrestling
he be remembered in the same breath as Batisa or Orton major mainstream star but not a big enough draw to be on the level of the goats. I mean does Roman not being on the show hurt the ratings at all ? What were shows getting when he decided to take time off ratings wise ? Probably the sane as they are with him

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If you asked me before his heel turn I'd say lol, no.

Now? Yeah I think so. He's doing some really good work the past year and a half. It's all relative. Will he be on the level of Rock/Stone Cold, or HBK/Taker? No obviously not. But still - in an all-time sense, he's rising up

21 - 40 of 111 Posts