Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
RESTINPEACE
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking a break from mainstream wrestling latley i just cant stand the current wwe there product is just unwatchable im not saying i want another Attitude Era again but want i want is a TV14 product in 2010 from WWE enough of this pg crap. Im more into the minor leagues now because its a sport and pro wrestling can learn alot from UFC and how popular it is now. TNA is getting worse than it already is and ROH is giving us Wrestling but there really isnt an altrenative to the e does any one else feel the same way i do i think Pro wrestling is dying a slow death.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
I don't think so. It's being over-shadowed by MMA at this point.

Reactions: #1UndertakerFan

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I think it's possible. Pro wrestling always goes through cycles of popularity. No matter what the TV Rating is.

The 2 biggest periods in the history of the business were when wrestling was very family and kid oriented, like it always has been for the most part. Then, there was the Attitude Era.

I don't think the WWE being PG has very much to do with its popularity. Being able to say "ass" and "bitch" along with a few drops of blood and bra and panties matches aren't gonna change that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
probably when people like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Wade Barret, and others become the big superstars

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I think it's possible. Pro wrestling always goes through cycles of popularity. No matter what the TV Rating is.

The 2 biggest periods in the history of the business were when wrestling was very family and kid oriented, like it always has been for the most part. Then, there was the Attitude Era.

I don't think the WWE being PG has very much to do with its popularity. Being able to say "ass" and "bitch" along with a few drops of blood and bra and panties matches aren't gonna change that.
Yes but back then MMA wasn't around. In this era people dont watch wrestling not because they think its stale but because MMA exists. The truth is many people today see MMA as the better, REAL version of pro wrestling. So in their minds they think "why would I watch a bunch of fake fighting when I can watch the real thing?" Back then you didnt really have anything similar to wrestling that was real like you do today. All you had was boxing which isn't nearly as similar to wrestling as MMA is.

The way I see it MMA is basically killing a reason for Pro Wrestling to exist. It already happened in Japan. Its already happening here. Why do you think Vince is starting take his company more overseas?

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
It's hard to say but I think probably yes. They might need to find new marketing strategies and the like though.

Hard to compare the WWF Rock n Wrestling or even Attitude era to now as there is so much more entertainment out there now competing for people's attention.

And I think MMA is a factior yes, but I don't think UFC, Strikeforce etc will always be this popular, it will die down like wrestling has.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
Yes but back then MMA wasn't around. In this era people dont watch wrestling not because they think its stale but because MMA exists. The truth is many people today see MMA as the better, REAL version of pro wrestling. So in their minds they think "why would I watch a bunch of fake fighting when I can watch the real thing?" Back then you didnt really have anything similar to wrestling that was real like you do today. All you had was boxing which isn't nearly as similar to wrestling as MMA is.

The way I see it MMA is basically killing a reason for Pro Wrestling to exist. It already happened in Japan. Its Alredy happening here. Why do you think Vince is staring taking his company more overseas?
This.
And it's very close minded how people think that way.
People don't look at it as watching a movie or just pure entertainment.

I don't know the answer to these:
What was the era that people started to know it was "fake"?
And when did the ratings start to go real low again? Right after the Attitude Era or what?

·
Registered
510 Posts
This. Also, no competition.
I don't think so. It's being over-shadowed by MMA at this point.
Umm i would not say it has any competition from MMA considering the huge difference in the way the sports are A conducted and B marketed

MMA has taken over where boxing was, but not really, its slowly slowly getting a large fanbase but nowhere near 80s-90s boxing.

The competition is a good point, but really I think its the low quality of a show they put out. So much star power, so much flexibilty and yet its always the same faces. If you've watched a ppv you notice they step it up, I saw JoMo do a submission maneuver and i was baffled. JoMo has talent? All i see him do is job to the mizz and tag teams with Truth.

If the booking stepped it up, they could produce a teen friendly show and still keep their audience. All the kids understand are the superstars anyway

·
October 28th, 2010- My return to WF
959 Posts
I think that ratings actually have something to do with it. I haven't watched wrestling for a while, and when i did get the breeze of wrestling whether it be a commercial or something of that sort, but when I first got the news that Cena's F.U. was now called the Attitude Adjustment... I raged. Does he even do the STFU anymore? Its probably called the Candyland or something dumb like that. Also, I want to see some guys get busted open! Sure we could watch 2 half naked guys exchange slaps until one falls over and gets pinned OR the WWE could go back to having a superstar bust their head open on the turnbuckle, smashed through the announce table, and beaten with a ladder. nothing too extreme, but just a little bone to throw for the fans. im not too bummed about the pg-ness, however it does build more "steam" when 2 wrestlers cuss each other out, attack each other backstage,and there is blood everywhere. why was stone cold so popular? ...there you have it... why was the rock so popular (think about his words)? ..exactly.. there was vulgarity and violence. there is no possible way to sell violence to children without them being violent. so stop building the wall and let the dam collapse already.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was about to make a post about this myself. My original position was that wrestling was taking a break from the "attitude" because it honestly got kinda boring after awhile, and do back to some 90's more animated kid friendly entertainment. Ive been cool with this concept the past year or so but after the past month and a halfs shows I am getting sick of it, now its almost like a episode of full house or Boy Meets world, kiddy stuff with an occasional adult reference. In terms of wrestling theres some really really talented people in the company but none of them ever wrestle....? and for the most part a lot of these guys characters/personas suck horribly. Im hoping that within 2011 we can have a slight increase into more "attitude" and then by 2012 we can have TV-14 shows.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I was about to make a post about this myself. My original position was that wrestling was taking a break from the "attitude" because it honestly got kinda boring after awhile, and do back to some 90's more animated kid friendly entertainment. Ive been cool with this concept the past year or so but after the past month and a halfs shows I am getting sick of it, now its almost like a episode of full house or Boy Meets world, kiddy stuff with an occasional adult reference. In terms of wrestling theres some really really talented people in the company but none of them ever wrestle....? and for the most part a lot of these guys characters/personas suck horribly. Im hoping that within 2011 we can have a slight increase into more "attitude" and then by 2012 we can have TV-14 shows.
The misconception around here is that Edgy=Attitude Era which is just a bunch of bullcrap. You can do edgy and adult driven without all the over the top Russoness of Attitude Era it just needs to be taken a bit more seriously. Im not saying they should go all indy and have no storylines with extremely long matches and spot fests but I do feel they should take it to a more simplistic approach. Ditch the goofy characters and costumes(Tyler Rex the Barbarian, Sheamus the clown, Goldust, etc.) and instead have more over the top Personalities(Guys like Ric Flair, Rick Rude, etc.) The storylines should be more title driven and more down to earth than what we usually get(Like Vince complaining about Nexus terrorizing the wrestlers when he can just fire them all....), tone it down with the glitz and glam(like fake orange tans and body oil), and give the whole product alittle more edgy look(Too many colors and lights everywhere. It looks like Candyland).

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey,Boys Meet World and Full House were great TV shows..

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,084 Posts
When we say "Pro Wrestling," in America, I presume, it's honestly difficult to say. The most recent time period which is labeled as a "Boom Period" was powered by two major wrestling promotions battling it out, not merely to be #1 but to survive. The whole business from the mid-'90s through around 2001 or so was based on alacrity and trend-hopping.

However, it becomes difficult to quantify what we mean by pure "boom" periods if we're discussing WWE in particular. Their most financially successful year ever was 2007. And 2009 and 2010 thus far have both been very, very solid, despite a shaky economy that definitely hurt almost all avenues of entertainment, including WWE (live attendance has dropped a bit in the past six months or so and it's all due to the aftermath of the outbreak of the recession, but the outlook for the next six months or so is fairly good).

So, it's frankly hard to say when it comes to pro wrestling in general. I've spoken to a couple of indy promoters in California who thank God on a daily basis that WWE exists and remains as mainstream and positively strong as it does, because WWE remains the spectacle most young fans initially get into, and at least some of those young fans eventually want to find out what else is out there, like a kid who grew up on Indiana Jones Spielberg movies and then grows up wanting to watch Orson Welles classics and the latest Wong Kar-Wai picture. The whole "WWE's a monopoly and they'll never let anything rise up against it" line of thinking cuts both ways at the very least.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
So, it's frankly hard to say when it comes to pro wrestling in general. I've spoken to a couple of indy promoters in California who thank God on a daily basis that WWE exists and remains as mainstream and positively strong as it does, because WWE remains the spectacle most young fans initially get into, and at least some of those young fans eventually want to find out what else is out there, like a kid who grew up on Indiana Jones Spielberg movies and then grows up wanting to watch Orson Welles classics and the latest Wong Kar-Wai picture. The whole "WWE's a monopoly and they'll never let anything rise up against it" line of thinking cuts both ways at the very least.
That's an awesome point about WWE opening doors for these indy feds to even be noticed and given a shit about. I've been to local events, or even smaller scale international events. The first promotion I ever watched properly, and that hooked me? WWE.

It definitely acts as a dominant power in the industry, but also as a steady pillar around which it's based.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
This.
And when did the ratings start to go real low again? Right after the Attitude Era or what?
To be honest, it's a bit of a misconception that the amount of people watching RAW has gona down substantially since the Attitude Era. It's just that the ratings system has changed. Case in point, RAW got 5 million viewers in 2000 and received a 6.03 rating, whereas an episode in 2010 received that number and got a 3.38 rating. Business is still strong for WWE, no matter what anyone thinks.

As for the original question, I'm unsure if there will be a real boom period again because wrestling carries a bit of a stigma about it now that it never had before.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
in the future yes the business always drops and picks up something always gives wrestling a spark and it lasts for years but with MMA beating Vince's Ass in PPV then not for a long while

1 - 20 of 57 Posts