Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
What a surprise. I literally didn't give Ospreay a chance to beat the Champ. Ibushi's reign was awful and boring. He discredited the world title, and I'm happy that Ospreay could beat him.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah, not many people called that. Ibushi got lots of heat for being the guy to end the old IWGP lineage and bring in this controversial new title... only to drop it to Will in short time. He's a god level wrestler but never came across as a world champion unfortunately.

Shingo is probably challenging next, then Okada. I could see Okada winning it at one of the major shows, then of course we'll get the Okada vs. Kenny rumours all over again.

I'd love to see Will defend the title in AEW. Part of the whole rebooting the title as 'World' is to have it defended overseas apparently. He looks the part as a world champion and AEW could feed him someone like Hager as a credible opponent. I'm also very curious to see how Will would come across on U.S. wrestling TV as he's developed his star qualities well in Japan.

Some of the social media types have already boycotted NJPW because of some allegations about him blackballing a women's wrestler a few years ago. So AEW would have to be careful on that front.

Remember when Rollins tweeted this about Ricochet to Ospreay? 😂

EyIQ0FnWEAMq-PA.jpg

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Japan is down big right now. Top champions of the top promotions:

NJPW: Will Ospreay

Dragon Gate: Shun Skywalker

DDT: Jun Akiyama

Pro Wrestling NOAH: The Great Muta

AJPW: Suwama

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, not many people called that. Ibushi got lots of heat for being the guy to end the old IWGP lineage and bring in this controversial new title... only to drop it to Will in short time. He's a god level wrestler but never came across as a world champion unfortunately.

Shingo is probably challenging next, then Okada. I could see Okada winning it at one of the major shows, then of course we'll get the Okada vs. Kenny rumours all over again.

I'd love to see Will defend the title in AEW. Part of the whole rebooting the title as 'World' is to have it defended overseas apparently. He looks the part as a world champion and AEW could feed him someone like Hager as a credible opponent. I'm also very curious to see how Will would come across on U.S. wrestling TV as he's developed his star qualities well in Japan.

Some of the social media types have already boycotted NJPW because of some allegations about him blackballing a women's wrestler a few years ago. So AEW would have to be careful on that front.

Remember when Rollins tweeted this about Ricochet to Ospreay? 😂

View attachment 99624
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about transitioning the belt to Okada for a squeaky clean double title match with no controversy. There are also more stories to tell, considering the history between Okada and Omega, and the fact that he's the face of New Japan and Kenny is the face of AEW.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was hoping that Ibushi would hold on to it until Omega got around to facing him. I'm happy for Ospreay though. He's worked his ass off.

·
Registered
12,032 Posts
Congrats to Will Ospreay!

I'm just confused as to why it doesn't just keep and follow on the lineage/history of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship? It seems like it's beginning it's own new history.

·
Registered
27,020 Posts
The next few months in NJPW will be interesting.

They have 2 big Dome shows come up in May and the Dominion (which is basically their Summerslam) in June. And after Ospreay defeated Ibushi, both Shingo and Okada were set up as future challengers. And you also have guys like White and Naito on the side.

My point is that while Ospreay is champion now, there are several big shows coming up where he could drop that title.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,340 Posts
Congrats to Will Ospreay!

I'm just confused as to why it doesn't just keep and follow on the lineage/history of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship? It seems like it's beginning it's own new history.
If true that would be amazingly dumb. The WWE title has gone through plenty of name changes but still has the history. Would be insane to do otherwise here.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The likelihood of Omega winning the IWGP title in this belt collector storyline is about the same as Okada winning the AEW title and only coming back to defend it on AEW PPVs and TK being okay with that. Or Omega showing up on WWE tv and winning the WWE or NXT title. A pure fantasy.

And does anyone see Ospreay parting with the RevPro title and dropping it to Omega? Cause I don’t.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,729 Posts
Could this finally be the true beginning of the crossover? Just an observation I had, but obviously, Ospreay can speak English, whereas most of the top guys in NJPW have limited English speaking abilities. I had always said that at some point this year (if possible) a Tournament style 4-week event, ala New Japan's G1 should cross the world. First in Japan, moving to the UK, then Mexico and finishing off in the USA. Omega could be the go-between, for speaking both in Japanese and English, especially when Omega would be the heel, if facing off with Ospreay in Japan.

Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts