Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
go down in history as the only man to have only won the WWE Title in their career?

You look at all the GOATs and they spent their time in the mid-card (no matter how long it was) winning Tag Team, IC and US championships until they were "ready" to be the big dogs... Lesnar was in and out of the WWE with "dominance" and only ever won the WWE Title.

Now I haven't done heaps of research, but to the best of my knowledge no one in WWE history has ever spent time in the company and only won "the big one" (Goldberg excluded but it was the WHC, I'm talking about the WWE title).

Will Lesnar be the only person to have ever done this? Or will someone else in the future?

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,317 Posts
Re: Will Lesnar-

He won the King of the Ring and the Royal Rumble too.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Exactly!

Lesnar won the big three, and nothing else... no US, IC or anything...

·
Read Only
1,147 Posts

You could probably draw comparisons to Del Rio's massive push. If he left now his record would be more impressive than Lesnar's. Yes his money in the bank got him his first title but you can bet if the king of the ring still existed in the format that the winner main evented Summerslam he would have won that instead of the mitb.

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts

Exactly!

Lesnar won the big three, and nothing else... no US, IC or anything...
Okay.

from Wikipedia..

Championships and accomplishments

Collegiate wrestling
Big Ten Conference
Big Ten Conference Champion (1999, 2000)
Ranked the #1 Heavyweight in the Big Ten Conference (2000)
National Collegiate Athletic Association
NCAA Division I Runner-up (1999)
NCAA Division I Champion (2000)
North Dakota State University's annual Bison tournament
Heavyweight Champion (1997–1999)[188]
National Junior College Athletic Association
NJCAA All-American (1997, 1998)
Junior College National Champion (1998)

Mixed martial arts
Ultimate Fighting Championship
UFC Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Two successful title defenses and title unifications
Longest reign as Heavyweight Champion in UFC history - 707 days
Submission of the Night (1 time)
Tied (Randy Couture, Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia) for most consecutive heavyweight title defenses (Two)
Only man in UFC history to earn consecutive wins over three reigning UFC champions[189]
Only second fighter in UFC history to win title in his fourth pro fight (after Randy Couture)
Only person to ever win the NCAA Division I Heavyweight Championship and the UFC Title
Only second person to win a Professional Wrestling and MMA World Championship (after Ken Shamrock)
Headlined two highest PPV events in the UFC history (UFC 100, UFC 116)
Headlined four out of six highest PPV events in the UFC history
Cover Athlete for UFC Undisputed 2010
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Box Office Draw (2008–2010)[190]
MMA Most Valuable Fighter (2008–2010)[190]

Sherdog Awards
Beatdown of the Year (2009)[191]

World MMA Awards
Breakthrough Fighter of the Year (2009)[192]

Sports Illustrated (SI.com)
Top Newcomer of the Year (2008)[193]

Inside Fights
Rookie of the Year (2008)[194]
Biggest Draw (2008)[194]
Spike Guys' Choice Awards
Most Dangerous Man (2009)

Professional wrestling
Brock Lesnar as WWE Champion
New Japan Pro Wrestling/ Inoki Genome Federation
IWGP Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[55]1
Ohio Valley Wrestling
OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Shelton Benjamin[20]
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Feud of the Year (2003) vs. Kurt Angle[195]
PWI Match of the Year (2003) vs. Kurt Angle – a 60 minute Iron Man match on SmackDown!, September 16[196]
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2002)[197]
PWI Wrestler of the Year (2002)[198]
PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2003[199]
World Wrestling Entertainment
WWE Championship (3 times)2[200]
King of the Ring (2002)[7]
Royal Rumble (2003)[8]
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Brawler (2003)[201]
Best Wrestling Maneuver (2002) F-5
Feud of the Year (2003) vs. Kurt Angle[202]
Most Improved Wrestler (2002, 2003)[203]

He is the one of the GOAT athletes, entertainers, and wrestlers. Just because he didn't hold other championships besides "the biggest prize in sports entertainment" during his original run with the World Wrestling Entertainment(which was only 2 years -- Night After Wrestlemania X8 Until Wrestlemania XX) does not mean he's not good.

Blasphemy.

·
Read Only
1,147 Posts

Okay.

from Wikipedia..

He is the one of the GOAT athletes, entertainers, and wrestlers. Just because he didn't hold other championships besides "the biggest prize in sports entertainment" during his original run with the World Wrestling Entertainment(which was only 2 years -- Night After Wrestlemania X8 Until Wrestlemania XX) does not mean he's not good.

Blasphemy.
The fact he was wwe champion after what 5 months and didn't seem out of place shows his pedigree. No one is saying this is a bad thing. Keep your pants on friend.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Okay.

from Wikipedia..

Blasphemy.
I'm talking STRICTLY in the WWE here, not in MMA, OVW or anywhere else...

and I didn't say he's good... I'm just asking if anyone in the near future or even on the current WWE/NXT roster, is capable of having a career in the WWE and only win the biggest title?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone else will ever do that, Lesnar is a one of a kind guy that could pull it off.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,164 Posts
I never noticed it until now. Really a wondrous career. 3 time WWE champ, headlined Wrestlemania, won KOTR and the Rumble, had matches with Angle, Benoit, RVD, Hogan, Rock, Goldberg, Taker all in 3 years. Truly unprecedented and incredible.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
Sid never held a midcard or tag title, so no. Not in the WWE anyway, which is the only criteria relevant. 2 WWE titles, no midcard singles, no tag.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sid never held a midcard or tag title, so no. Not in the WWE anyway, which is the only criteria relevant. 2 WWE titles, no midcard singles, no tag.
Thanks!

This is what I was looking for...

In retrospect, Lesnar does beat him by 1 title reign, KOTR and Rumble win but still it's interesting to see Lesnar isn't the first

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I remember hating Brock Lesnar when he was the next big thing.

Now I don't think he was ever that bad. Especially when compared to the goofy ass John Cena a few years later.

Brock is also one of my favorites in the company today, so things have changed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
go down in history as the only man to have only won the WWE Title in their career?

You look at all the GOATs and they spent their time in the mid-card (no matter how long it was) winning Tag Team, IC and US championships until they were "ready" to be the big dogs... Lesnar was in and out of the WWE with "dominance" and only ever won the WWE Title.

Now I haven't done heaps of research, but to the best of my knowledge no one in WWE history has ever spent time in the company and only won "the big one" (Goldberg excluded but it was the WHC, I'm talking about the WWE title).

Will Lesnar be the only person to have ever done this? Or will someone else in the future?
Goldberg was also US and Tag Team champion.

Edit: I see you said WWE, sorry.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hogan was like that until he won the tag title belts with Edge. Yokozuna was like that, too. As was Undertaker.

It doesn't really matter, as they skip lots of people into World Title programs, especially when they're giving them a "monster" push.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hogan was like that until he won the tag title belts with Edge. Yokozuna was like that, too. As was Undertaker.

It doesn't really matter, as they skip lots of people into World Title programs, especially when they're giving them a "monster" push.
i.e. Sheamus and Del Rio (until Sheamus won the US title)..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts