Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, another one of these.
If you Remember some of that promo debate stuff a few weeks ago cena constantly mentioned proving that he was on rocks level and even above it (even the biggest rock haters know that's not true). It's clear Vince is intent on having people except this. Kayfabe wise only Hogan compares in terms of being top face for a long time (hogan 84-93, cena 05-13 and counting) with long reigns; tho as we know hogan had a 4 year reign lol.

But we know there's a difference between perception and reality. Leading up to mania I listened to talk shows and heard 2 random sports broadcasters make a list of wrestlings biggest stars ever and both lists had hogan rock Austin Andre in the top 4 slots with the 5th being a debate between flair and sammartino; there wasn't even a mention of cena- a top face for the longest time since hogans heyday, a recording breaking champion, the top merchandise owner, etc. yes that's only a small Sample but the mere fact that Vince clearly had cena talk about being on the rocks level and how announcers try to mention cena being the GOAT at times, shows he's hell bent on Cena being viewed in that realm. Whether people like it or not will cena be excepted as in the league of the trifecta or even sammartino and flair?

(kayfabe wise)
He took the title from one of the 3 most popular stars in wrestling history
He kicked out of 3 rock bottoms when AUSTIN couldnt do it.
He's been the main or part of the main attraction for many manias.
A legit contender to break Ric Flairs title record.
Hell, Cena could even be the one to end the streak.

Now keep in mind I only mentioned the positives-
Cenas been top face in an era that knows its not in the league of past eras (why else would cena talk about fitting in the attitude era), during a down turn of popularity for the business (despite spikes from the rock)...

If Cena was in the echelon of hogan rock and Austin then why did Vince have to rely on part timers from mania 25 to mania 29?
Mania 27-28 were all centered around the rock embarrassing and one uping cena. Even cena winning took a back seat to the rock last night. Those manias were also carried by Hhh and taker
Mania 26- taker vs hbk - that was the main attraction.
Mania 25 is only remembered for 1 match.

Hogan rock and Austin were on top when wrestling was
White hot.
Factoring all of this in when it's all said and done will cena(in non kayfabe realistic fashion) be viewed in that league despite his reactions, not being as succesful mainstream wise, Yet still being the top dominant face of the company for 8 years and counting?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Austin and Rock really benefited from being able to feud with each other, two of the top four goats in the prime of their careers.

Cena on the other hand, hasn't really had anyone who could be his equal, you could say CM Punk is close but its really not the same.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nope. Cena can win all he wants, but he will never be loved by the audience like those guys. He's not even close to their league. Johnny boy can keep on winning, but it won't matter because there's so much more to it than that.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Last night proved there is no hope the fans will ever accept him as a true great no matter how much that old senile ass wants to force it. He ended up getting the Rock booed out of the building with that shit. Which is why everyone has that sick feeling he'll hold the title for a year, challenge teh streak, and have that "see see he is the best he broke the streak!" moment... ugh.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
-John Cena is an all-time great already.

-It didn't matter whether he won or lost the match.Even if he lost,nothing would change.

-When John Cena finally retires,he would be just below Hogan/Austin/Rock's level considering his longevity and unparalled run at the top.

-If his heel turn is successful and adds a much needed spark to WWE,he would join their league as the top stars of modern pro-wrestling.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
By the kids, yes. By the fans who aren't fans of his, but aren't jaded enough to side with one side or the other, eventually. To the people who hate him, nothing will convince them otherwise. Me personally, he comes across as coming in at the right place at the right time. He didn't break any barriers or set new standards, maybe allowing WWE to split the audience. From a money making standpoint, he's one of the greats. Will I remember him has having that moment in history? Not right now and don't say last night's ending because it came off as so phony and so fake.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In the grand scheme, Cena will be seen as a massive flop. Decade-long push, twice as much time as the face of the company as Rock or Austin ever got, and still gets a majority of boos every night.

Kayfabe-wise, maybe he is on par with them. But as far as being the face of the company, he's a total joke when compared to literally anyone else who's ever been face of the company, based exclusively on his unacceptable crowd reactions.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,425 Posts
The GOATs: Hogan, Austin, The Rock, Flair, Sammartino. Maybe 'Taker.

Then there are the Greats, people like Foley, Trips, Savage, Sting, Taker, Michaels, etc.

And then this fucker...

:cena3

He is not with Hogan, Austin, Flair, The Rock and Sammartino. No sir.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
No, Austin/Rock/Hogan/Undertaker/HBK and people of that mould had wrestling fans all over the globe cheer them. They didn't spend half their careers being booked as a babyface only to have half a crowd boo them like they weren't. Aside from when he was having his build to winning the title, the fans have never embraced Cena in the way they have with other top stars. I don't think fans will ever accept him as a true great like those guys, even after he's retired which is why he'll never be at that level in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nope, cena sucks, not as big as wwe make out, he will NEVER be amongst the true greats. Fact.

Reactions: Masked Legend

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
No.

Rock and Austin was successful because people liked them and they were entertaining. Cena fails in both those areas.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Right now he's in there league but I guarantee he'll be above them in a league of his own. Hopefully they have Cena beat Hogan's 1474 day reign, plus he'll beat Undertaker next year which will have him put as the G.O.A.T. if he isn't already. I mean no one in history can draw as much heat as Cena and that's by a longshot.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Right now he's in there league but I guarantee he'll be above them in a league of his own. Hopefully they have Cena beat Hogan's 1474 day reign, plus he'll beat Undertaker next year which will have him put as the G.O.A.T. if he isn't already. I mean no one in history can draw as much heat as Cena and that's by a longshot.
I hope that's sarcasm.... the WWE has been in steady decline his entire time on top...

·
Stay Fearless
7,384 Posts
I think he has been there for awhile.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nope he could be a 30 time champion and still not be in that category, flair is the record title holder but even he doesn't get into the category with those 3.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts