Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With this being The Miz's first time main eventing Wrestlemania, and as champion no less, it would seem that its imperative that the match be good to help further his blossoming career. A great showing would really help boost him into the upper echelon of the WWE, win or lose.

But, with that said, a lot of people on this board seem to think that promo skills matter much more than in ring ability. Cena has never been a technician, but he has had some great matches throughout his career with a plethora of people. The Miz has yet to have what I would consider a great match as champion (his closest imo have been with John Morrison on Raw and Orton at TLC). So if Wrestlemania comes around and the match blows, will it hurt The Miz and Cena?

It wouldn't be the first time a match hasn't lived up to Wrestlemania hype. Many feel that Randy Orton Vs. Triple H didn't live up to the hype (or the build-up). The difference though is that neither was their first Wrestlemania and they where both well established stars by the time that match rolled around. The match kinda sucked, but it didn't hurt them. There wasn't that added pressure of it being their first showing.

Cena undoubtedly has pressure as well, with him being the more experienced of the two, if the match is sorry than I can imagine alot of people will place blame on him for not leading the match in a better direction. But, at the end of the day, The Miz is the one who needs this match to be a good one. Cena can survive a bad Wrestlemania, The Miz cant afford that at this stage.

So...yeah...what do you think?

· Registered
41 Posts
First, the Miz HAD a Wrestlemania match last year when he teamed with Big Show against Morrison and R Truth. Second, yeah he needs to have a good match. I think he's on the cusp of being a big star for wwe, if he delievers in the main event, I think it'll be great for him. If not, well he'll probably be able to recover, it'll just slow his momentum.

· Charismatic Enigma
4,327 Posts
Miz's match at WM26 wasn't dark lol

This wrestlemania will be the true proving ground for him, I sure as hell hope he has a great match and im not doubting it either. Just because cena and miz aren't the best technicians doesn't mean they won't pull out a good match, and I hope for the best.

Besides they've both had good matches here and there, they know they'll have to bust out everything

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I don't think it will matter.

First off, unless they botch every other move, I GUARANTEE Miz fans will come on the board and say "AWESOME (no pun intended) performance by the Miz", "Miz carried Cena", "Miz/Cena-give them credit".

Secondly, I think more people are just excited about the Rock and Cena and potential there that if the match lasted 2 minutes and the rest was a fight between Rock and Cena, people would be okay with it.

So, either way, it doesn't matter if Cena vs Miz sucks.

· Registered
2,647 Posts
I think nobody expects a 5 star match from it, that's why they involved the Rock in the picture, adding this amount of stat power it's the only way they had to make this match Wrestlemania worthy.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
I think Miz & Cena are more than capable of putting on a very good match, the one concern i have for this match is that with the likely involvement of The Rock, we see Miz & Cena just go through the motions until Rock runs in.

· Registered
7,396 Posts
it won't suck but ofc it would matter if the ME of the biggest show sucks.

· Banned
8,284 Posts
This is actually not only the third time The Miz has had a match at WrestleMania, but the third time he's defended a title there as well.

WrestleMania XXV (2009) - Defended the World Tag Team Championship with John Morrison against The Colons (lost)
WrestleMania XXVI (2010) - Defended the Unified Tag Team Championship with Big Show against Truth and Wisdom (won)
WrestleMania XXVII (2011) - Defending the WWE Championship against John Cena (?)

WWE dosen't count the first year because it was a dark match...courtesy of Kid Rock.

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want The Miz to succeed. I want to be a fan. His mic work has been stellar and he's played the heel role to great affect the past couple of weeks. The only thing holding me back from being a true fan of his is his ring work.

But I think Wrestlemania will be his moment. I think he and Cena could potentially have a great match. Cena is fully capable of putting on a great match. Hell, he carried The Great Khali to a good match when nobody prior to him had been able to do that. He arguably brought out the best in Batista and Orton as well. The Miz has shown he is able to be directed too, and he's grown more comfortable in the ring since his time with Danielson. The talent is there, they just have to do it.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
It didn't seem to matter when Randy Orton and Triple H had the worst match of the year at WrestleMania 25, a match that was not only bad, but didn't even have a single bit of reaction from the crowd during it. Worthless, heatless match. Their pushes resumed as though nothing happened, so.....no.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
Yes, he needs to have a decent match and he will as long as Cena remembers to sell for once. The two of them had a decent match on Raw in '09 (the night after The Bash), an extra 5 minutes of that will be fine as long as they aren't closing the show.

· Anti-Hero
11,709 Posts
It will matter to the Miz's career if the match sucks. Not so much for Cena, he'll pull through.
I think it's pretty safe to say that these two performers, whatever their virtues and faults, will give their best efforts. Both are extremely driven individuals who will be shooting for that WM moment. I could see Cena really wanting to give the Miz a huge rub by having a stellar match and putting him on the map. Could be a surprise match of the night.

· Banned
149 Posts
It didn\'t seem to matter when Randy Orton and Triple H had the worst match of the year at WrestleMania 25, a match that was not only bad, but didn\'t even have a single bit of reaction from the crowd during it. Worthless, heatless match. Their pushes resumed as though nothing happened, so.....no.
Is your sig big enough? Christ

And HHH Vs Orton match was hindered by having to follow Taker Vs HBK. Wasn\'t a bad match, but misplaced on the card. The build-up to the Mania match at 25 was spectacular and both wrestlers were white hot.

This match doesn\'t matter because the Miz doesn\'t really matter. It\'s just about what the interaction between Rock and Cena. The Miz can be interchangeable with anyone. People will be on the edge of their seats for the Cena-Rock finale.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.