Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno, I just had this weird feeling about it, when you really look at his style of retaining the title. Hell if Honky Tonk could get away with that, why cant Ziggler?

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I am not sure if he will have THE longest Intercontinental Title reign, but it is no doubt going to be lengthy. I see WWE having no reason to take the belt off him any time soon with the role he has been on. He is proving that he is the most deserving mid-carder on Smackdown to hold the belt and is getting a very long reign to make up for being fucked out of a reign in 2009. Dolph has found himself in the main event spotlight multiple times over last few weeks between his matches with Cena and the triple threat IC title match on the final Smackdown of 2010. Ziggler has stepped up to the plate in all these occasions and delivered handsomely.

I have no problem with Ziggler's title reign as I think he is bringing a lot of credibility back to the belt. He is one of the top 5 in-ring workers WWE has right now, and I think they have finally woken up over the last 6 months or so and realized the potetial he has. I would love to see a main eventer (or high upper midcarder), challenge him for the belt going into Wrestlemania as it would really cement all the work that is being to re-elevate the IC Title and give him more exposure with the main event level talent. I hope they don't lose steam on him.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I dunno, I just had this weird feeling about it, when you really look at his style of retaining the title. Hell if Honky Tonk could get away with that, why cant Ziggler?
Because it's not the 1980's anymore. Nobody wants to see year long reigns anymore, especially when the IC title can be used to elevate people's status as it's done with Ziggler.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it's not the 1980's anymore. Nobody wants to see year long reigns anymore, especially when the IC title can be used to elevate people's status as it's done with Ziggler.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MVP held the United States Championship for a year in 2007-2008 and no one was bitching about that. Did he get pushed? No. No he did not.

·
KO
5,650 Posts
I just can't fathom why they wouldn't push Kaval to be a contender... fresh face, decently over, perfect matchup with Ziggler. Why would you not make that into a program? I see the IC title being ignored for the time being instead. Or Masters push? Oh god :(

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
He'll probably lose it around Elimination Chamber.
Yeah, I can see this happening.

And then perhaps he wins at back at Wrestlemania! :p Either that or he'll be in the MITB.
Nah, that'd be cool, but I think what Dolph needs after he "drops" the IC Title (hopefully to Dashing after a face turn), is a push to the WHC title scene so he can float around main eventers and such. I'd love to see a Jericho vs. Ziggler match for either a #1 Contender's match for the WHC or just a WHC match.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MVP held the United States Championship for a year in 2007-2008 and no one was bitching about that. Did he get pushed? No. No he did not.
Do you even know WHY he got that push? Try to guess who the longest reigning US champion was up to that point? I'll give you a hint

C-h-r-i-s B-e-n-o- _ _

Fill in the blanks. ~_~

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I could see it to be honest, is it going to happen? Unlikely but if someone was going to do it, it should be him. It could just boil down to circumstance, like if they dont want to push him to the main event but want to keep him strong then it is possible. On the other hand a babyface could get some decent momentum and they take it off him to push the other guy. From what I can tell he still has like 300 days to go. So that is like October/November time. Could they actually have a long title reign in an age when they are trigger happy with their title switches? I doubt it.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you even know WHY he got that push? Try to guess who the longest reigning US champion was up to that point? I'll give you a hint

C-h-r-i-s B-e-n-o- _ _

Fill in the blanks. ~_~
That doesn't really mean he wouldn't get a push.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
If Dolph was as solid on the microphone as he is in the ring, he'd already be main eventing on Smackdown I believe. If he loses the extra weight aka Vickie Guerrero that particular angle could elevate his mic skills to the next level, its just whether or not after that confrontation he'd have to turn babyface because of the ridiculous amount of heat Vickie gets from the crowd. I'm not sure whether he could pull of being a main event babyface.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
One problem with this...Dolph needs new opponents urgently! Because the same faces in the same matches, despite the quality wrestling, is starting to become stale.

Big Zeke and Chris Masters need to step up to the plate quickly, And I expect that Big Zeke is being groomed to be a monster, for Dolph to get over fairly. Then with the face turn, he can have a raft of new opponents.

Actually, I can see this push being totally derailed, if Jason Novak is eliminated from NXT - Vickie needs to cheat on Dolph to remove the heat, since he has played the nice guy recently, trapped with the bitter and twisted girlfriend.

As to a very long term championship - well, as I see it, the WHC is for the senior wrestlers (as in over the hill wrestlers), with some youth added to make it look relevant.

If the brand split ended tomorrow, I would say, it would be the most hotly contested championship, with the best matches in the WWE.

But I expect Dolph will be drafted to Raw, with the belt, and whoever has the USA belt at the time, will be drafted to smackdown - it will not be Bryan though.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
He won't beat the length of the Honky Tonk Man, but I think Ziggler will be Champ for a while. I also hope so, because I like long reigns AND Ziggler and the IC Title are a perfect fit.

·
The User Without Fear
2,811 Posts

C-h-r-i-s B-e-n-o- _ _

Fill in the blanks. ~_~
Matt Hardy also got injured so he probably held it longer than they were planning.

·
Registered
930 Posts
At the beginning of his pairing with Vickie, Vickie was sapping all his heat and credibility, but they've wisened up and let him talk more and come in to his own a little more with his character. His ring work was always great, but now he's finally getting heat himself because they're using him -with- Vickie instead of -under- Vickie.

He's already had the IC title for a good length of time compared to the other titles in the WWE right now, and I think he'll hand it off soon. But he's a contender for MITB, but the problem for him is he's a heel and there are plenty of new heels that have entered the main event lately. They need a new main event face badly so a face will probably win the next MITB. Still, it took a while, but I think his partnership with Vickie is finally paying off in the heat department after a weak start.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Ziggler now has nobody to lose the IC belt to so he should be holding on for a while more.

(Kofi's had his shot, Masters jobbed to Reks, Barretta jobbed to McIntyre, Chavo is LOL, godforbid ReyRey)

BUT he still has like 300 days to go before eclipsing the Honky Tonk Man's reign. Unfortunately, I don't think he will last that long. I think he'll lose it at Wrestlemania (March) or Over the Limit (May).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts