Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title wrote wrong, should say 'as long as he's in the main event'*

I've seen a bunch of threads saying 'who?' will succeed Cena, or 'will Orton?' succeed Cena. So do you think simply that Cena will remain the man/face of the company what ever you want to call it, if he's merely a staple in the main event, or simply rather high up the card, and not on the recieving end of a huge push, which the Ortons of the world have been consistently getting.

The main event stars (minus Batista) who have been pushed as main event players since and/or around the same time as Cena, have not come close in terms of star power, such as Edge, Rey, Orton, Jeff etc.

Even though he could be taken over as the face of the company whilst still on the top end of the card, as it has happened before (Bret->HBK, Austin->Rock). Do you see this as a possibility at all?
To me it won't happen, then constantly keep making stars which is great, but can't make a mega star. And considering Cena has been in the main event only about 70% of the time since he returned in 2008.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Basically whilst he's still in the WWE, he'll be the face of the company.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I don't think so there could be someone on the roster now or a superstar in the future that will overtake his spot in the next year or two.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I wrote this is mid September last year regarding Randy Orton taking over from John Cena as the main man in the company or at least even being the realistic true alternative like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were for each other and then Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock for each other aftewards.

As everyone knows right now WWE are trying to push Randy Orton on screen as an almost equal of John Cena in terms of being the main man on Raw and i will say that as things stand they are doing a good job as i don't think Randy Orton has ever seemed better outside of in between his comeback in late 2008 and WrestleMania 25 when his push was buried as always by Triple H but as good as Randy Orton is doing right now there is a doubt in my mind to whether he can ever really be the equal of John Cena in the way that The Rock was for Stone Cold Steve Austin.

When The Rock came through as a main event star in mid 1998 everyone could see he was there for the long term but when he turned face in mid 1999 he suddenly evolved and within a few months became on screen a legitimate alternative to Stone Cold Steve Austin as a believable main man in the company. By the time The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were going into WrestleMania 17 there was a lot of people who would tell you that The Rock had overtaken Stone Cold Steve Austin as the main man in WWE and had he not gone on to make a film straight after WrestleMania 17 may have well gone on to surpass Stone Cold Steve Austin as well.

If you look back at 2000 which was the biggest year for The Rock you will see that the ratings and PPV buyrates were higher than in 1999 which was the biggest year for Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock sold a hell of a lot of merchandise as well although not as much as Stone Cold Steve Austin did but on paper by 2001 the people that say The Rock was at that time bigger than Stone Cold Steve Austin do have a legitimate opinion. I wonder though if Randy Orton can do the same up against John Cena as that is the biggest obstacle in Randy Orton's way in him being the main man in WWE.

I have always said that for their generation John Cena and Randy Orton are easily the two biggest stars although i would rank The Undertaker and Triple H in that order ahead of Randy Orton in terms of the biggest stars in the company but i see The Undertaker and Triple H as wrestlers from a different generation, they were wrestling fifteen years ago in "The New Generation Era". I just don't know if Randy Orton can really draw as the top man and i don't think he would make WWE as much money in PPV buyrates and merchandise either which is a HUGE part of why John Cena is the main man in WWE.

It is always good to have two different top guys in the company as it gives fans an alternative like Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant, Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar all were for their respective era's but in their time they all did what that particular era needed and right now Randy Orton can't do what John Cena can do and that is draw people in to watch whether it is because you are a fan or even if it is to hate him and also make Vince McMahon a hell of a lot of money with PPV buyrates and merchandise.

Whether people like him or not or whether people are a blind Randy Orton mark or not there isn't anyone who can honestly deny the fact that John Cena is far and away the biggest star wrestling has seen since Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock and his mainstream appeal just adds to him as a wrestler because he can draw people outside of wrestling to watch him. Randy Orton on the other hand has had numerous WWE/World title's reigns and whilst never being the main man hasn't grasped the opportunity and ran with ball when he had it.

John Cena only needed one chance back in 2005 to cement his spot and be the main man in the company whilst Randy Orton first had his chance a year earlier and it wasn't until late 2008 that he didn't anything again of any real note. So that makes me wonder if pushing Randy Orton as an on screen equal to John Cena will work in the same way it has for other's like it did for Shawn Michaels, The Rock and Kurt Angle in their era's against Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Brock Lesnar and can he make Vince McMahon as much money outside of the ring.

Unless WWE go with John Cena and The Undertaker in a WWE/World title unification match at WrestleMania 27 with it being rumoured WWE are going to unify all their titles i can't see anything other than Randy Orton winning the WWE title in Raw's main event most likely against Wade Barrett and i guess that is when we will see what Randy Orton can do as champion and a face. As a face champion is the time when you need to be a draw though and start bringing in money from PPV buyrates and selling merchandise and if Randy Orton doesn't at least do just slightly less then the numbers that John Cena does then i think it is safe to say that John Cena's spot as top guy is undisputed regardless of what Randy Orton's blind marks will say and Randy Orton will always be the number two guy.

So as you can see from that even back then i had my doubts about Randy Orton taking over from John Cena and this was at a time when Randy Orton was white hot and getting the push of his life, even being pushed over John Cena as well. The thing that i knew back then though was that Randy Orton just can not sustain momentum when being pushed so hard and being HUGELY over and that has now been seen as Randy Orton is back to being alright and whilst still being the second most popular wrestler on Raw behind John Cena the crowd has cooled on him since the middle of last year.

Now some people will tell you that Randy Orton's momentum started waning when WWE pushed the feud between John Cena and The Nexus as the top feud on Raw over Randy Orton's own feud with Sheamus but the reality is that Randy Orton was opening and closing Raw for the majority of time he was feuding with Sheamus and Cena/Nexus became the main feud once John Cena lost at Hell in a Cell and had to join The Nexus. The thing is that the first night after Hell in a Cell we also saw the start of Orton/Barrett as well which meant that Randy Orton was still involved in the main feud on Raw and was part of the top focus but what happened was John Cena and Wade Barrett made people care more about what they were doing than Randy Orton did which is why more people saw it as Cena/Barrett with Randy Orton on the side.

Outside of Randy Orton there is no one who is believeable or realistically going to take over the mantle of the main man and face of WWE that John Cena has because people like John Morrison, Bryan Danielson, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Kofi Kingston, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler are a long way behind Randy Orton who in turn is a long way behind John Cena. Taking over as the main man in the company isn't an easy thing to just do and there are so many reasons why John Cena is where he is and Randy Orton is so far behind him and then the other group way behind Randy Orton and if i am honest i really don't see anyone taking over from John Cena for another five years because he is only 33 years old and hasn't even yet reached his peak years as a wrestler or as a character.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrote this is mid September last year regarding Randy Orton taking over from John Cena as the main man in the company or at least even being the realistic true alternative like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were for each other and then Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock for each other aftewards.

As everyone knows right now WWE are trying to push Randy Orton on screen as an almost equal of John Cena in terms of being the main man on Raw and i will say that as things stand they are doing a good job as i don't think Randy Orton has ever seemed better outside of in between his comeback in late 2008 and WrestleMania 25 when his push was buried as always by Triple H but as good as Randy Orton is doing right now there is a doubt in my mind to whether he can ever really be the equal of John Cena in the way that The Rock was for Stone Cold Steve Austin.

When The Rock came through as a main event star in mid 1998 everyone could see he was there for the long term but when he turned face in mid 1999 he suddenly evolved and within a few months became on screen a legitimate alternative to Stone Cold Steve Austin as a believable main man in the company. By the time The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were going into WrestleMania 17 there was a lot of people who would tell you that The Rock had overtaken Stone Cold Steve Austin as the main man in WWE and had he not gone on to make a film straight after WrestleMania 17 may have well gone on to surpass Stone Cold Steve Austin as well.

If you look back at 2000 which was the biggest year for The Rock you will see that the ratings and PPV buyrates were higher than in 1999 which was the biggest year for Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock sold a hell of a lot of merchandise as well although not as much as Stone Cold Steve Austin did but on paper by 2001 the people that say The Rock was at that time bigger than Stone Cold Steve Austin do have a legitimate opinion. I wonder though if Randy Orton can do the same up against John Cena as that is the biggest obstacle in Randy Orton's way in him being the main man in WWE.

I have always said that for their generation John Cena and Randy Orton are easily the two biggest stars although i would rank The Undertaker and Triple H in that order ahead of Randy Orton in terms of the biggest stars in the company but i see The Undertaker and Triple H as wrestlers from a different generation, they were wrestling fifteen years ago in "The New Generation Era". I just don't know if Randy Orton can really draw as the top man and i don't think he would make WWE as much money in PPV buyrates and merchandise either which is a HUGE part of why John Cena is the main man in WWE.

It is always good to have two different top guys in the company as it gives fans an alternative like Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant, Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar all were for their respective era's but in their time they all did what that particular era needed and right now Randy Orton can't do what John Cena can do and that is draw people in to watch whether it is because you are a fan or even if it is to hate him and also make Vince McMahon a hell of a lot of money with PPV buyrates and merchandise.

Whether people like him or not or whether people are a blind Randy Orton mark or not there isn't anyone who can honestly deny the fact that John Cena is far and away the biggest star wrestling has seen since Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock and his mainstream appeal just adds to him as a wrestler because he can draw people outside of wrestling to watch him. Randy Orton on the other hand has had numerous WWE/World title's reigns and whilst never being the main man hasn't grasped the opportunity and ran with ball when he had it.

John Cena only needed one chance back in 2005 to cement his spot and be the main man in the company whilst Randy Orton first had his chance a year earlier and it wasn't until late 2008 that he didn't anything again of any real note. So that makes me wonder if pushing Randy Orton as an on screen equal to John Cena will work in the same way it has for other's like it did for Shawn Michaels, The Rock and Kurt Angle in their era's against Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Brock Lesnar and can he make Vince McMahon as much money outside of the ring.

Unless WWE go with John Cena and The Undertaker in a WWE/World title unification match at WrestleMania 27 with it being rumoured WWE are going to unify all their titles i can't see anything other than Randy Orton winning the WWE title in Raw's main event most likely against Wade Barrett and i guess that is when we will see what Randy Orton can do as champion and a face. As a face champion is the time when you need to be a draw though and start bringing in money from PPV buyrates and selling merchandise and if Randy Orton doesn't at least do just slightly less then the numbers that John Cena does then i think it is safe to say that John Cena's spot as top guy is undisputed regardless of what Randy Orton's blind marks will say and Randy Orton will always be the number two guy.

So as you can see from that even back then i had my doubts about Randy Orton taking over from John Cena and this was at a time when Randy Orton was white hot and getting the push of his life, even being pushed over John Cena as well. The thing that i knew back then though was that Randy Orton just can not sustain momentum when being pushed so hard and being HUGELY over and that has now been seen as Randy Orton is back to being alright and whilst still being the second most popular wrestler on Raw behind John Cena the crowd has cooled on him since the middle of last year.

Now some people will tell you that Randy Orton's momentum started waning when WWE pushed the feud between John Cena and The Nexus as the top feud on Raw over Randy Orton's own feud with Sheamus but the reality is that Randy Orton was opening and closing Raw for the majority of time he was feuding with Sheamus and Cena/Nexus became the main feud once John Cena lost at Hell in a Cell and had to join The Nexus. The thing is that the first night after Hell in a Cell we also saw the start of Orton/Barrett as well which meant that Randy Orton was still involved in the main feud on Raw and was part of the top focus but what happened was John Cena and Wade Barrett made people care more about what they were doing than Randy Orton did which is why more people saw it as Cena/Barrett with Randy Orton on the side.

Outside of Randy Orton there is no one who is believeable or realistically going to take over the mantle of the main man and face of WWE that John Cena has because people like John Morrison, Bryan Danielson, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, The Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Kofi Kingston, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler are a long way behind Randy Orton who in turn is a long way behind John Cena. Taking over as the main man in the company isn't an easy thing to just do and there are so many reasons why John Cena is where he is and Randy Orton is so far behind him and then the other group way behind Randy Orton and if i am honest i really don't see anyone taking over from John Cena for another five years because he is only 33 years old and hasn't even yet reached his peak years as a wrestler or as a character.
I agree with that, I find it simple saying Cena = Roadrunner, and Orton = Cayote.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
imo even wwe fans will get sick of cena soon enough

you know this year marks the 7th year in a row cena has been in a wm title match

fucking disgusting

·
Registered
31 Posts

you know this year marks the 7th year in a row cena has been in a wm title match

fucking disgusting
That speaks just as much as to how weak the entire overall roster is.
I know that if I were in charge I'd be pushing younger guys to the last 20 minutes of Raw every night for the next 3-4 months trying to find someone who can make that special connection with the roster.

I've been drifting in and out of the WWE fanbase for the past few years, but after the rumble it seems like Morrison is way over the crowds. Somebody needs to get him an acting coach, and teach him how to cut a promo.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

fucking disgusting
You say that yet Hulk Hogan main evented WrestleMania every year through to WrestleMania 9 at a time when there were so many people on the roster who could have filled that spot from a match quality perspective but he was the biggest draw. We later saw Triple H main event or be involved in the WWE/World title match at 8 out the last WrestleMania's and the one's he didn't were main evented by Austin/Rock and the Streak vs Career match between Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker whilst he was injured at WrestleMania 23 but originally set to face John Cena and Triple H was never a major draw.

So with John Cena being the completely undisputed top guy in the company and the entire industry right now and WrestleMania being the biggest PPV of the year why would Vince McMahon not put him either in a WWE/World title match or the main event. I am not sure if you noticed or not but in the last couple of years John Cena played a HUGE part in putting The Miz where he is now just by working with him and also put Sheamus and Wade Barrett over and basically made them what they are today, just by association and being involved with John Cena also put CM Punk back on the map after spending a year jobbing and going backwards rapidly.

It isn't the cool thing to do bashing John Cena anymore and that was so 2005 and 2006 so why some people turn any thread with John Cena's name in the title or even a thread where his name comes up into an anti Cena thing i have no idea but the reality is whether you bash him or not still tune in and watch him if only to see him beaten so without realising it you are making him a bigger draw. What you should really be fearful of is that at 33 years old we still haven't John Cena hit his prime as i remember Vince McMahon saying before that most wrestler's usually hit their prime in between 35 and 38 years old so you could see another five years of John Cena on top and with the way the business is and no one anywhere near his level i wouldn't be surprised to see it happen either.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
cena will always be in the main event because he is the only guy in the business today who has the "IT" factor.

Too many wrestlers in the main event in these days are either given a big opportunity to early in their career (wade barret, shaemus, del rio) or are just not good enough (miz, orton).

Cena has experience of working with other promotions in his career not just wwe so he has knowledge many other wrestlers these days do not have.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
Cena will be the face of the company until they find a new one. I don't think that person is on the roster right now and that includes Orton. He's so far behind Cena it really is ridiculous when people say that they are equals. And as much as I mark for him, Orton has never spear headed an era like people are claiming he has. It was Cena/Batista and now we are starting to fully enter the Cena/Orton era but Orton is pretty much only there by default. The next face of the company is out there just waiting to be snatched up I'm sure and Vince is probably going out of his mind trying to find him because they need him and they need him badly.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Cena will be the face of the company until they find a new one. I don't think that person is on the roster right now and that includes Orton. He's so far behind Cena it really is ridiculous when people say that they are equals. And as much as I mark for him, Orton has never spear headed an era like people are claiming he has. It was Cena/Batista and now we are starting to fully enter the Cena/Orton era but Orton is pretty much only there by default. The next face of the company is out there just waiting to be snatched up I'm sure and Vince is probably going out of his mind trying to find him because they need him and they need him badly.
I couldn't agree more as Randy Orton is SO far behind John Cena as a star in this business it is untrue and in reality Randy Orton is behind John Cena, The Undertaker, Triple H and Rey Mysterio as a star in the business. That being said i do see John Cena and Randy Orton as the multi year mega feud for their generation in the same way Hogan/Andre, Michaels/Hart, Austin/Rock and Lesnar/Angle all were for their own era but the multi year mega feud doesn't mean that the two star's have to be the two biggest star's of that particular era.

·
New Game. New Rules. New Era.
4,440 Posts
He will be the face of the company unil they fine someone to take his spot. Which won't be anytime soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts