Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post! Here goes....

Will we ever see Title runs lasting more than a year again? Heck, more than 6 months?

Seems the trend is to keep title belts moving, with three month title runs (or less!) the norm rather than the odd one out.

My guess is that at PPV's, seeing a title change hands is more exciting for the fans, that it keeps the title (and wrestler) fresh and relevant.

But the big downside seems to be, is there enough time for development? I remember no so long ago when JBL was still active, that he bragged how he was the longest running Champion in Smackdown. And it was a good title run. Still not particularly 'long' by my standard, but memorable.

With titles changing quickly with MITB or seemingly every PPV or every second RAW, are any of these recent title runs 'memorable'? I'd love to see Mark Henry, for instance, hold onto the belt for a year or more. Why not? He's been built up to be unstoppable - let him run with it.

Cena has held the title 10 times (a fact which WWE seems intent on reminding viewers at every opportunity). But which of those 10 runs were memorable? The first one? I guess.

Not to say there is no place for the occasional short-run titles. I would not mind in the slightest if you took two evenly matched guys at their prime and have them win the title back-and-forth over a few months. It develops both guys and builds some credibility.

Any thoughts? I don't watch WWE as religiously as I used to myself. I may miss for a couple of weeks and miss entire Title Runs!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, why does it say 'Still Real to me, Dammit' under my username. I didn't put that there!

·
Asuka
96,243 Posts
Hey, why does it say 'Still Real to me, Dammit' under my username. I didn't put that there!
It's a default user title, non premium members don't get to choose what they have there.

As for the question...it's gonna be a long, long time. Will it happen again? Well...yeah, eventually. Year long reigns don't happen every day. The last one before Kevin Nash was Randy Savage, and the last one after was John Cena. They don't happen every day, and frankly, they shouldn't. I would rather have the title change every single month than have a guy hold the belt for a year. In my eyes, it buries the rest of the division and makes it uncompetitive. However, sometimes it can be forgiven for the sake of building a guy up. When Vince finds the guy he wants to make his new John Cena, he'll go on a rampage with the title, but it's not gonna happen for years and years. To say that it may not ever happen again, though, I really don't know. That seems like a gigantic stretch. Eventually, somebody else is gonna come along that Vince is so high on that he just decides that they're destroying everybody and carrying the title while they do it.

·
Banned
3,483 Posts
I agree op all theses title changes for both brands make the two heavyweight belts seem easy to win and and in essence makes the titles not very credible, why cannot wwe do a 4 month reign its not that long!

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
I don't know about you, but I certainly don't miss the long reigns in the likes of JBL and John Cena in 2005.
Here are the top 4 things hated when it comes to title reigns

1) Etc is boring, he's been holding the title too long. Make him drop it.
2) Title keeps getting passed around too often like a hot potato. I wish someone would have a nice long reign
3) The current crop of champs is so stale. I wish someone new would win the title
4) Too many people are winning the title. Everyone is getting a reign. Etc is unproven and shouldnt have won it

Guess what? Realistically speaking, thats the only choice youre gonna get. people were almost gonna riot when Cena and JBL had year long reigns

·
Registered
708 Posts
We will have long runs, but not for a while. Look at 2005/2006, we had long reigns from JBL and Cena, despite the fact the hot potato era had been in effect for nearly a decade. The days of two-year reigns are simply unfeasible these days, it just wouldn't work with the volume of programming, but that's not to say we can't have a massively long reign every so often.

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
I'd like to see a good 6 month long reign again but with the # of pay per views these days I doubt we see that again.
Exactly. Far too many PPV's, last minute decisions, lack of long term storytelling, etc. The most we could really hope for these days would be a 6-months reign, preferablly someone not named John Cena.

·
22,784 Posts
Long title reigns probably aren't gonna happen much these days when it comes to the WWE and WHC, but honestly if anyone right now should have a lengthy reign its Mark Henry. And yes, I am being serious lol. He's fresh as a champion, and his booking has been pretty darn great for the most part which is a rarity for any champion these days. Plus, the longer he holds it, and the more he's made to look like a dominant monster, the better the guy who beats him is gonna look. Let him hold it until WM where he drops it to... oh I dunno... Bryan? I can dream :p.

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
Long title reigns probably aren't gonna happen much these days when it comes to the WWE and WHC, but honestly if anyone right now should have a lengthy reign its Mark Henry. And yes, I am being serious lol. He's fresh as a champion, and his booking has been pretty darn great for the most part which is a rarity for any champion these days. Plus, the longer he holds it, and the more he's made to look like a dominant monster, the better the guy who beats him is gonna look. Let him hold it until WM where he drops it to... oh I dunno... Bryan? I can dream :p.
Exactly. Mark's been built up so well over the last, what has it been, 3 months or so? He has to run with title until AT LEAST 'Mania. What's the point of building him up as a monster heel for 3 months if he's just going to lose it at, say, the Rumble? If Miz can hold onto the title for 6 months, Mark Henry, with the way he's been built up, should be able to do so easily.

That's just logic speaking though. WWE doesn't do much of that.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site.

I dunno about year long title reigns as I think the modern audience is too ADD to deal with the same Champion for over a year considering the number of PPVs they'd have to keep it through.

But as for 6 month reigns, well Miz just had a six month title reign last year into this. In the modern day, I actually think that around the 6 month mark is a good length title reign and if they REALLY like someone as Champion, that should be the sort of term they aim for.

The only problem is inbetween those relatively decent reigns - we're going to still see the title treated like a hot potato.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing Mark Henry get a lengthy, dominant heel reign. Now when I say lengthy, I mean that in today's WWE terms...so like something beyond 4 months...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts