Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think he will? I just watched his debut from 2010 and it looks like that's the most heat he has ever got.

I personally don't see it happening, at 36 he will probably leave WWE once they stop pushing him in the world title scene. I realise he debuted at a relatively late age in the WWE and this may mean he gets title runs well into his late 30's should he choose to stay. Also, does anyone think he might be a backstage politician? He must have some serious dirt on somebody backstage to still be getting pushed.

He seems only happy to job when it's to the likes of Cena or Sheamus and not willing to put over younger guys.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Ya know, whether you are the biggest Del Rio fan or not, the guy has actually already paid his dues, he's been working hard in wrestling for years before he even got to the WWE, so without a doubt deserves his spot there, he is also a very good worker and a good in ring worker too, very reliable for the company, which is one of the reasons some talents don't get their push, this is a vital thing in regards to the WWE, if you want to get the push, you have to give the business 110% commitment, which Del Rio does.

He's still very young too, a wrestlers peak is quite often mid - late 30's and has a lot of time within him, I really don't think that Del Rio has any say in regards to who he does or doesn't job to, that's a little silly to think otherwise ... he's getting pushed because he's a good worker and reliable to the company, and he does deserve his push.

I'm not even Del Rio's biggest fan, but credit due where it's due.

Reactions: Lilou

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
Wouldn't paying dues happen before the countless pushes because if so i don't see how he'll ever pay his dues?

Maybe he gets pushed for the Latino market and maybe just maybe WWE actually sees that he is talented. It amazes me how Del Rio has so many hate him on here but he has very good matches all the time. It's not his fault WWE gives him crap stories and crap feuds.

·
18,013 Posts
Wouldn't paying dues happen before the countless pushes because if so i don't see how he'll ever pay his dues?

Maybe he gets pushed for the Latino market and maybe just maybe WWE actually sees that he is talented. It amazes me how Del Rio has so many hate him on here but he has very good matches all the time. It's not his fault WWE gives him crap stories and crap feuds.
Well said!!!

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Hes their guy for the Mexican market and hes gonna be safe for most of his WWE career unless he gets suspensions. Remember back in 2010 when everyone loved the guy when he debuted and now hes just another guy the IWC hate.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
There's no such thing as paying your dues. WWE is a business, you don't miraculously reach the top after working so many hours or putting over so many people, you reach the top when the people calling the shots feel you're at a level that you will start turning them a hefty profit if given the screentime.

Maybe Alberto didn't deserve all of this, maybe it wasn't the best decision to put him towards the top, but it doesn't matter. It simply doesn't matter what the guys in the back think, it's what the boss thinks and what's best for business. The only thing that matters in that regard is that he acts in a respectful manner backstage and makes working with him an easy job. If he does that and there's still somebody who doesn't want to work with him, then they're just unprofessional and need to go.

EDIT: Think of some of the biggest names of the past, a lot of them didn't "pay their dues". Steve Austin debuted in December 1995, by June 1996 he had won the King of the Ring, a little more than a year later he won the Royal Rumble, and then the next rumble after that, going on to win his first world title a mere 27 months after his debut. There wasn't a whole lot of putting people over in his early WWF career, but nobody would ever say it was a bad decision to give him so many big wins early in his career.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Does anyone think he will? I just watched his debut from 2010 and it looks like that's the most heat he has ever got.

I personally don't see it happening, at 36 he will probably leave WWE once they stop pushing him in the world title scene. I realise he debuted at a relatively late age in the WWE and this may mean he gets title runs well into his late 30's should he choose to stay. Also, does anyone think he might be a backstage politician? He must have some serious dirt on somebody backstage to still be getting pushed.

He seems only happy to job when it's to the likes of Cena or Sheamus and not willing to put over younger guys.
That's exactly it. As soon as WWE stops pushing him hard, he's going to quit when the contract he has at the time expires.

So if he ever does pay his dues, I have no doubt it's going to be short-lived followed by him retiring. It will probably be the same way for Cena and Punk too. If those guys ever get a "jobbing run", which is doubtful. They've been spoiled by not haivng to put people over for so long that it's probably not gonna happen besides on a very short, rare occaision, followed up by a strong push for a long time.

Ya know, whether you are the biggest Del Rio fan or not, the guy has actually already paid his dues
When people say that about a WWE wrestler, they are almost always talking about paying their dues while on television in WWE.

That matters a lot since it's what everyone sees. The roster is putting Del Rio over to make sure he looks good and he isn't returning the favor. Any time that happens, it's going to rub a lot of fans the wrong way no matter who it is. Del Rio's a big lightning rod for it since he's by consensus less interesting than most of the guys being pushed as hard as him.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

LOL whoa, he's 36? Had to google, and confirmed.

·
18,013 Posts
That's exactly it. As soon as WWE stops pushing him hard, he's going to quit when the contract he has at the time expires.

So if he ever does pay his dues, I have no doubt it's going to be short-lived followed by him retiring. It will probably be the same way for Cena and Punk too. If those guys ever get a "jobbing run", which is doubtful. They've been spoiled by not haivng to put people over for so long that it's probably not gonna happen besides on a very short, rare occaision, followed up by a strong push for a long time.

When people say that about a WWE wrestler, they are almost always talking about paying their dues while on television in WWE.

That matters a lot since it's what everyone sees. The roster is putting Del Rio over to make sure he looks good and he isn't returning the favor. Any time that happens, it's going to rub a lot of fans the wrong way no matter who it is. Del Rio's a big lightning rod for it since he's by consensus less interesting than most of the guys being pushed as hard as him.
If they've paid their dues, they've paid their due's, regardless of which company it's been with, people wouldn't say the same about Sting if he came to WWE would they? .. and why? Cause everyone knows how much Sting has paid his due in WCW, TNA etc..

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
EDIT: Think of some of the biggest names of the past, a lot of them didn't "pay their dues". Steve Austin debuted in December 1995, by June 1996 he had won the King of the Ring, a little more than a year later he won the Royal Rumble, and then the next rumble after that, going on to win his first world title a mere 27 months after his debut. There wasn't a whole lot of putting people over in his early WWF career, but nobody would ever say it was a bad decision to give him so many big wins early in his career.
All you had to do was look in the crowd to see why Austin was getting pushed. Austin 3:16 signs and t-shirts galore

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
853 Posts
There's no such thing as paying your dues.
Of course there is. You start somewhere, and have to learn, get experience, i.e. better.

WWE is a business, you don't miraculously reach the top after working so many hours or putting over so many people, you reach the top when the people calling the shots feel you're at a level that you will start turning them a hefty profit if given the screentime.
What are you doing until you're at that "level"?

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwegreate...ng-steve-austin-vs-superstar-bill-du-25036550

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You're good for the company, you're pushed, that's all. Alberto Del Rio can attract the mexicans, he get pushed because that's what best for business, he doesn't have to do something like " paying his dues " ( which he did, even in the WWE, he wasn't directly put into the main roster like Sin Cara )

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm aware Stone Cold started in WCW, but it's kind of a moot point since Del Rio was a seasoned veteran when starting as well...
You've lost me. ADR paid dues in CMLL and other promotions in Mexico, before that as a legit collegiate wrestler, and MMA fighter (9-5 lifetime record).

·
18,013 Posts
You've lost me. ADR paid dues in CMLL and other promotions in Mexico, before that as a legit collegiate wrestler, and MMA fighter (9-5 lifetime record).
This exactly.

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
He paid his dues in Mexico. If you want someone that didnt pay his dues look at Lesnar or even Orton to some extent hell even Cena,Angle,Batista,the rock,Goldberg and alot of other wrestlers got pushed harder and faster then del rio so stop hatin cause he earned Everything. Didnt pay his dues my ass. You do realize he,s been wrestling since 2000 right? Thats 13 years. As long as Bryan and Punk. Didnt they pay there dues too? fpalm

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
While I find paying your dues to be somewhat ridiculous, it's a fact that it happens in the business a lot. Wade Barrett got a huge push right from the start as the leader of the Nexus and when they finished the angle with Cena going over there's no doubt in my mind they wanted to take Barrett down a peg and the thought backstage was probably that Barrett was given a lot early on and now needed to take a step back. I fully expected this to happen with Del Rio after his push sort of failed, because there are countless examples of it happening, but every time he lost a World Title he went straight back into the main event scene and within a few months he had a title again. I still find Del Rio winning the WWE Title in a triple threat with Punk and Cena one of the strangest things, it just felt so off and killed the momentum Cena and Punk had. It seems like Del Rio has stroke backstage.

Anyway, IMO he should have lost the belt back to Ziggler at Summerslam and I've always thought a Del Rio/Ricardo tag team could have worked. Del Rio the serious wrestler, Ricardo busting out some fun moves but always the liability. It would have gotten over and would have taken Del Rio out of that World Title scene which I think would be refreshing to the fans.

I hope once Samuray Del Sol gets called up they won't feel the need to push Del Rio because he's Mexican.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts