Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't paying attention to wrestling when the WWE decided to give the Women's belt the axe in favor of the Diva's belt and I've occasionally wondered why. I've made cursory google searches and all I could find were reports stating the women's title was gone, but not WHY it was gone.

Was it because WWE was moving in a different direction where they put the belt on models and they felt the stupid butterfly better represented their interpretation of women's wrestling?

Was there much of an uproar from fans? From wrestlers? Did anyone really care?

·
Best in the World
2,522 Posts
The number of people in Womens division is low enough as it is, no point in having 2 titles if you only really use the same 6 divas over and over. They don't care enough about the division. Frankly until they bring in some real wrestlers instead of models it will never take off.

They have Kharma, and I bet my bottom dollar they cannot use her because there are only really 2 divas who can actually (safely) wrestler with her because the rest are just too fragile.

The 2 I'm talking about is Natalya and Beth. Natalya needs to be given a good run at the title, she proves every single match that she is definitively the most talented there. A fued with Beth would be easy considering Natalya is face but WWE just don't seem to want to make it happen, and we all know why that is...(She's a Hart)

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in WWE's opinion, all change is good...which is a disgusting business philosophy.
Unfortunately, that doesn't pertain to Cena.

The number of people in Womens division is low enough as it is, no point in having 2 titles if you only really use the same 6 divas over and over. They don't care enough about the division. Frankly until they bring in some real wrestlers instead of models it will never take off.

They have Kharma, and I bet my bottom dollar they cannot use her because there are only really 2 divas who can actually (safely) wrestler with her because the rest are just too fragile.

The 2 I'm talking about is Natalya and Beth. Natalya needs to be given a good run at the title, she proves every single match that she is definitively the most talented there. A fued with Beth would be easy considering Natalya is face but WWE just don't seem to want to make it happen, and we all know why that is...(She's a Hart)
I agree that there's no reason to have two titles, but why keep the belt with zero prestige and lineage? For the pretty butterfly design?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
It was retired so they could move moreso in the direction of 'Diva' and giving them the 'Divas' title and none other accomplished that. There was a lot of uproar from people on here, and some wrestlers (Trish, Mickie), but overall nobody really gave two shits about it because nobody really gives two shits about the division, which is a shame.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Unfortunately, that doesn't pertain to Cena.

I agree that there's no reason to have two titles, but why keep the belt with zero prestige and lineage? For the pretty butterfly design?
Marketing, if I had to guess.

I too think it's an ugly and silly looking belt. I don't think any of the former women's champions were happy about it. I'm not sure what Trish said on it, but I know Lita was critical of the change, but also said that the belt only mattered in hot feuds and if the women who carry it make it mean something it won't matter what the belt looks like/what it's called--which I think is true. The Women's Championship was a joke for many years with women's wrestling treated as a sideshow. It did not gain prominence and credibility until it was hotly contested by quality female wrestlers which drew in the fans.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
I'm not sure, but it's just as well they did. Nattie and Beth are the only deserving Women's champions on the roster, the likes of Kelly Kelly can keep their butterfly.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
but why keep the belt with zero prestige and lineage?

That's the point. Keep a belt with zero prestige and lineage cause the division has zero prestige at the moment. So once the division means something again, they'll put back the meaningful title.

They've retired the womens title multiple times throughout its history as well cause of a lack of a division.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.