Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legit question. I’ve seen so many people say how much they hate Del Rio and how he was absolute shit in his WWE run. I get that the man himself is a piece of crap, but as a performer I always enjoyed his work. He was a great heel, even had a good babyface run until they put him against the popular Ziggler. He had a great look, a great manager, entrance, etc. He had charisma in terms of his presence and how he carried himself, but on the mic he could be quite bland. On the other hand though he was good in the ring and I recall people seemed to like him during his initial debut but I guess things soured. So why the hate and is it justified?

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
"He had charisma", no he didn't actually, well at least not as far as WWE is concerned. In fact it's the main contributing factor in his overall hate from the fans. He could work sure, but he was the epitome of charisma vacuum. He came off as phony, dull, and extremely basic. It's a wonder his manager Ricardo was far more over than he could have ever hoped to be in WWE. Which is weird because of you watch ADR in any other promotion such as AAA, LU, and hell even Impact he shines like a legit star. It's just in WWE he quickly became an after thought regardless of WWE's poor attempts at establishing him as the head draw for the Mexico demo, which obviously failed. Perhaps it was ADR having a lack of overall desire to be there and when you consider how creatively bankrupt WWE was even then when those were fairly entertaining years compared to now it still shows, just look at how short his second run was.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
He's probably a little underrated, as he seemingly had all the right tools, but the general thing is he was pushed really hard but generally the crowds never took to him. Just crickets all around.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Because...

he was absolute shit in his WWE run.
^that.

And...

He was a great heel, even had a good babyface run. He had a great look, a great manager, entrance, etc. He had charisma in terms of his presence and how he carried himself. On the other hand though he was good in the ring and I recall people seemed to like him during his initial debut but I guess things soured.
No, he doesn't and didn't.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
They pushed him way too hard at first. Nobody needs to win the Royal Rumble and MITB and the title in the same damn year, which was what Del Rio did in 2011. That's overkill and didn't endear him to me. Plus he was super boring and the "I'm a rich dude" gimmick got old fast. Ricardo was way more entertaining and fun than him, which also overshadowed him. Plus I don't really think he had many memorable matches or moments :shrug Even his MITB cash-in was boring LOL.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Because he was pushed beyond his talents. He had charisma and wrestling abilities, just not enough of either to deserve being positioned as a top hand. And it got to the point where it was clearly being forced just because Vince loved the guy (guess he was desperate to find a new Hispanic star to capture the interests of the Mexi demo.)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Much like Sheamus, he got the rocket push strapped on so fast despite no one giving a shit about him. Both just reeked of some ulterior motive ie: Vince's attempt at having a new mexican star, or being someone HHH likes to work out with

Despite both continuing to suck and draw shit reactions, they kept getting pushed harder and harder

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,097 Posts
He was actually a very good in-ring performer. I really wish there was more to him than that even though I did think he had an interesting heel character and a surprisingly decent face character too. His program with Dolph Ziggler was excellent.

But he was pushed way too fast and too early into his WWE run. The man was never given a chance to establish himself and it didn't help that they took his personal announcer away, which was the best thing about him.

·
Southern Pride
3,541 Posts
The main problem with Del Rio was that he was boring. He lacked charisma. His personality lacked a lot.

Once Ricardo was "future endeavored" ADR became even less tolerable. Ricardo was more over than Del Rio was.

I say this as someone that was a fan of his at the start..but them pushing Del Rio very hard made him stale after awhile.

Lucha Underground did great on hiding Del Rios flaws.

·
Premium Member
44,032 Posts
His attitude mostly. He just always seemed to be raising a stink or getting into trouble about something.

But he was one of those guys I never saw much in, but he kept getting big pushes time and time again. Most of the time, he was so dry and uninteresting. His initial character of being both an evil rich guy and an evil foreigner felt one note, old hat, and without any kind of nuance to set him apart from all the other ones that have played those tropes out. Honestly, the best thing about him most of the time was his ring announcer.

It didn't help that his feuds tended to suck. His feud with Sheamus was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had in wrestling on a week to week basis and only made both of them look stupid. Him being wrapped up in the Punk/Nash "who sent the text" fiasco wasn't ideal either. His match with Swagger at Wrestlemania 29 has to be one of the most uninteresting World Title matches in Mania history.

The only times I kind of liked Alberto were in these instances:

1) In WWE, when he turned face the first time by sticking up for Ricardo. That was the one time I recall him feeling like something natural with emotions and motivations that made sense, and it was a genuinely satisfying face turn to see him helping out his buddy who always stood up for him but was in trouble against Big Show.

2) Outside of WWE, he was good in LU. His feud and big match with Texano was pretty good, and he did some good stuff with Johnny Mundo too. He seemed more passionate and motivated here.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts