Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like so many wrestlers who are groomed by Vince can make all sorts of mistakes, DUIs, fail drug tests, etc but with others, one mistake and your career is never the same again.

looking back, Chris Masters was really good in the ring for a "body guy". During his face run, he was able to improve his wrestling because he wasn't as big. He could bump well, had charisma, was over with the crowd. WWE was having him lose almost every match as a face and was putting over even lower mid carders like Tyler Reks. Breaking out of the Master Lock went from being a big, monumental moment to now being broken out of by everyone.

it is a shame, I think Chris Masters should be in the same position as guys like Drew, Lashley, Mahal and others who left and came back. I would not even mind him in a role like Shelton Benjamin in WWE. He has never spoken badly about WWE to my knowledge, while others like Sylvain Grenier have sued the WWE and been rehired in backstage roles.

^ PS: Drew needs to go back to this theme

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
He got pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I liked him. I'm surprised they haven't welcomed him back. Not sure he's blacklisted though.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
He's only 37 years old. He'd be great as a guy to back-up Randy Orton on Raw. But they've got Lashley doing the Full Nelson, so maybe now is not the right time.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
technically not blacklisted, actually they have him in the alumni section and have featured him on a top physiques list on their website a few years ago. other than that I don't know if he's been mentioned since.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Masters is one of the guys that if brought back will never be "the guy" but could have a very solid upper mid card run. Nothing wrong with that..

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
He was initially buried because Triple HGH is an a**hole who gets away with everything because of who he's married to.

Furthermore, Masters was a guy who just looks good, he had no all but 0 abilities on the mic and had no charisma. Pretty much the same problems that plague Rollins, Reigns and Charlotte. The difference between them and Masters is that Masters wasn't really favored by the management despite not delivering.

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
He went on to become one of the foremost names in concussion research, so if Vince buried him at the time, he's sure as fuck not going to do that now.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,144 Posts
technically not blacklisted, actually they have him in the alumni section and have featured him on a top physiques list on their website a few years ago. other than that I don't know if he's been mentioned since.
Wasn't he a part of that lawsuit with many wrestlers against WWE? I haven't checked in a while tbh.

He was vastly better as a worker during his second stint and if I recall he beat Tyler Reks on Superstars twice in a row so I wouldn't consider that putting over Reks in a big way.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Chris Masters only chance to make it was on his first run in WWE, the company was lacking a physical specimen like him in the main event scene and Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle left the company leaving two good spots in the uppercard, but he missed that spot because he was so green that Shawn Michaels complained because he didn't want to work him and they had the cut short their feud after one match, and the other one who missed his spot was Carlito because he was lazy.

When he returned to the company (2009-2011) WWE was in the process of elevating CM Punk, The Miz, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, Christian to a better place in the card, there was no way the company would choose him over them.

He left the company when he was 31 years old, it's been 9 YEARS and no other company has trusted him a main eventer spot, not even TNA/IMPACT when they were on their "let's push every former WWE talent we can sign" era.

I don't think WWE has blacklisted him, is that he has been so off the radar that even the smarky fans that forgotten about him, if it wasn't for this thread there was a big chance that his name had not been mentioned in the forum in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wait I'm confused? did someone think Chris Nowinsky and Chris Masters were the same person? :unsure:

Furthermore, Masters was a guy who just looks good, he had no all but 0 abilities on the mic and had no charisma. Pretty much the same problems that plague Rollins, Reigns and Charlotte. The difference between them and Masters is that Masters wasn't really favored by the management despite not delivering.
you can still have charisma without being amazing on the mic :ROFLMAO: Batista, Sheamus and Lashley aren't great on the mic either. He did have charisma though. He was over as both a heel and a face.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
wait I'm confused? did someone think Chris Nowinsky and Chris Masters were the same person? :unsure:

you can still have charisma without being amazing on the mic :ROFLMAO: Batista, Sheamus and Lashley aren't great on the mic either. He did have charisma though. He was over as both a heel and a face.
Are you kidding? Batista is pretty good on the mic. Just look at his heel promos when he was going against Cena. Sheamus, Lashley and Masters were terrible on the mic. Masters was never really over all that much. He did have potential though.

·
Southern Pride
3,385 Posts
Masters during his second run in WWE (his last run) did have me interested. It was weird how they completely had the guy lose often.

I feel like theirs something between Vince or whomever and Chris Masters that we don't know about that kept them from using Masters better. ..because I do remember him showing potential back then as a babyface and it just never happened.

He was not great on the mic. but decent in the ring.

As far as I know, he isn't blacklisted. They just simply lost interest in him.

Also side note: McIntyre as a babyface shouldn't ever use that slow and boring entrance music from long ago.

Second side note: Nowinski and Masters is nothing alike other than they both had great physiques and share the same first name. Surprised that someone got them confused. "Chris" is common just like "John" and "Bobby".

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
he missed that spot because he was so green that Shawn Michaels complained because he didn't want to work him and they had the cut short their feud after one match
so I just listened to an interview recorded 2 weeks ago where he says Sean Michaels was actually putting him over backstage but Cena was burying him and saying he didn't want to work with him. so I'm wondering where you got your information because it doesn't align with what Masters is saying.

"Cena would always try to call my offense for me because I don't think he thought I was capable of doing it. I remember Cena would complain about having to work with me a lot and one thing I appreciated about HBK is.. Cena would insinuate I was the shits and HBK would chime in and say "I didn't have any problem working with him". For Sean to say that meant a lot more to me than anything Cena could say about my work. "

1 - 20 of 44 Posts