Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Aggressively White
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was a super technical wrestler, had the look and charisma as well as being over. I remember he was in his teens on the roster and one of the best. WWE/ECW/WCW/TNA haven't had an English champion and Britain is one of the biggest markets for WWE, for instance MITB got more viewers in the UK than the USA.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
I remember Ric Flair being pretty high on him.

Back when Alex Wright first got started in WCW, he had an undefeated streak and faced Flair at Worldwide in the United States Title tournament. Flair went over but afterwards, regretted it, feeling he had killed Wright's momentum. So, they redid the match and I can't remember exactly who won but IIRC, it ended in either a DQ or a draw.

Needless to say, this was during WCW's power struggle, where Flair was losing more and more power to Hogan. And no matter how good Alex Wright was, Hogan wasn't going to let him outshine him.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Alex Wright was underrated as a worker. I've been watching a lot of mid-90s WCW and this guy was having great matches with Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, pretty much anyone at nineteen, twenty years old. That's pretty incredible I think, he was like the Doogie Howser of pro wrestling.

However, while his English did improve somewhat his promo skills were never great. The dancing gimmick did him no favors to main event. The Berlyn gimmick bombed. I don't think he was World Champ material, but WCW could have pushed him better, he was one of their guys, one of the few that only wrestled for WCW and nowhere else. I heard he runs a wrestling school now. It would be cool to see him wrestle one more match in like New Japan.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Das Wunderkind still, to this day, holds a win over Triple H...a win that the Game has never gotten back.

Fuck Daniel Bryan, Alex Wright vs Hunter at WM30.

Reactions: Emotion Blur

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Alex Wright was never WCW champion because he's Alex Wright. Who, aside from the OP, has ever thought Alex Wright was championship material?

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
He was a super technical wrestler, had the look and charisma as well as being over. I remember he was in his teens on the roster and one of the best. WWE/ECW/WCW/TNA haven't had an English champion and Britain is one of the biggest markets for WWE, for instance MITB got more viewers in the UK than the USA.
His in-ring work was best when he was Berlyn, but the gimmick sucked balls. Much like his Europop gimmick. Long story short, he had the package, but creative murdered him. He should've jumped to the WWE when Benoit, Eddy and co did, and he'd probably have had a top career around the IC title and as JTTS.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Great well backed up point.
Fair enough.

He was too skinny, couldn't cut a good promo, was overshadowed by at least a dozen better midcarders, had another dozen or so real stars to overcome and was just a fairly forgettable wrestler.

I like Hardcore Holly, for example, but I never once thought he should have been WWF champion. Some guys just aren't cut out to lead a major wrestling company. Alex Wright is definitely in that group.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did he get any other title or title push in the WCW?

·
Aggressively White
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair enough.

He was too skinny, couldn't cut a good promo, was overshadowed by at least a dozen better midcarders, had another dozen or so real stars to overcome and was just a fairly forgettable wrestler.

I like Hardcore Holly, for example, but I never once thought he should have been WWF champion. Some guys just aren't cut out to lead a major wrestling company. Alex Wright is definitely in that group.
He was very muscular IMO, '24 wrestlers better than him'; list, and I'm certain none will be younger.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Damn near off-topic, but I felt it had to be posted:

And now on-topic, I'm just not aware of a point in time where people gave enough of a shit about him to make him worth being champion (but maybe I'm wrong). It's like asking why Lash LeRoux or Prince Iaukea weren't champions. Sure, Alex had the ring skills, but I never got the impression he needed to go anywhere above the mid-card.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,196 Posts
Not sure how to respond to this...OP you have to be trolling. You are trolling right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts