Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing has always made me scratch my head..Taker was one of the biggest stars in the industry at the time and he was getting some of the biggest pops ever and despite of that he was always stuck with worthless big guys.

you can watch here how over Taker was with the crowd.

1:58

3:43

4:09

2:06

1:18

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: Why Undertaker Never Won The WWF Champion between 1992 and 1997 ?

I'll say because he was still new to the company. That would be my guess.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts

Because he was over without the title. It's the same reason that a guy like Jake Roberts never held a WWF strap (to a certain extent in my opinion) or why the Road Warriors were rarely tag champs in their NWA days. They are so over they don't need straps.

I heard a rumour that Undertaker was held down for several years before getting his second title because Hulk Hogan had actually complained to McMahon and said Undertaker hurt him during their match at Survivor Series 1991. Don't know how true that is though

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts

But he won the belt in 1991, a year after his debut.

I'm assuming because Vince felt that big men should only face big men and his smaller, wrestling based guys should face their own kind.

Also, Hogan was still around till 1993 and you had guys like Bret and HBK there, who have been around since the mid to late '80's at that point. It is weird how it was nearly 6 years in between times Undertaker held the WWE Title.

But, I think it's because Vince at that point only wanted his title on guys he could build the company around and thought HBK and Bret had more appeal to the fans, especially females.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well that doesn't mean anything..he was getting some of the biggest pops and to be honest most of the times his pops were bigger than Bret's and HBK's.Instead Vince pushed guys like Diesel and Mabel.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts

I always thought at the time that it was because of the whole steroid scandal and Vince wanted some of the smaller guys to be champion. I know Undertaker wasn't roided up like Hogan or a Warrior but he was still a pretty big guy!

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts

It's a case of the writers utilizing Taker as an attraction at times versus the likes of Mabel and Sid. He also was used to put new guys over who Vince felt would need to carry the company in the near future. So many big names left at a certain point that Taker was the top dog; would you want a deadman as your main man? He established HBK during the 92/97 period, Diesel, Hart, Sid to a certain extent and Yokozuna. He's just always been this character that doesn't need the WWF Title to be a name in the business, like Piper, Perfect and actually nowadays Big Show, and even Cena. Cena really doesn't need a title anymore.

He won the WWF Title before 1992, not to mention when you're in the company for 5 years (1995) you're surely not "new" anymore?

I always thought at the time that it was because of the whole steroid scandal and Vince wanted some of the smaller guys to be champion. I know Undertaker wasn't roided up like Hogan or a Warrior but he was still a pretty big guy!
Doubt it, considering Diesel had a year long run with the belt and he looked more roided up than The Undertaker, who just looked like a big man but not overly muscled. Sid too, even worse.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts

Maybe it was because of The Kliq. Once they rose, nobody really had much going for them, probably why HBK talked Vince into putting the belt on Diesel, only to drop it to Bret, who got it right back from another member of The Kliq.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

Vince was pushing the new generation of guys who were a little smaller, so the fans would get used to the idea of seeing smaller guys rather than the muscle-bound guys of the past. You have to remember that this was a time when the WWF were fresh from the steroid scandal and were getting away from that look. So by putting smaller, more technically skilled guys as champion it set the tone for the whole show. Plus at the time Undertaker was still an average worker, it was only towards the end of the 90's that he really started to improve as an in-ring worker to the point where he could carry guys to 4+ star matches.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Undertaker has always been a special attraction star that can be featured in big gimmick matches or co-main events on a show. That 1992-1997 period you saw extensive WWF Title reigns from Bret Hart, Diesel, and Shawn Michaels and I think those guys were meant to be 'the guy' the men who could hold the title and be the face of the company. Like you said, Undertaker was insanely over and he didn't really need to ever be the face of the company or hold the championship especially when Vince wanted the three guys I mentioned to be the faces of the New Generation. Undertaker was and has always been in his own lane as a performer and with his status with the WWF imo.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Vince was pushing the new generation of guys who were a little smaller, so the fans would get used to the idea of seeing smaller guys rather than the muscle-bound guys of the past. You have to remember that this was a time when the WWF were fresh from the steroid scandal and were getting away from that look. So by putting smaller, more technically skilled guys as champion it set the tone for the whole show. Plus at the time Undertaker was still an average worker, it was only towards the end of the 90's that he really started to improve as an in-ring worker to the point where he could carry guys to 4+ star matches.
In ring work have nothing to do with being a big star..look at Hogan,Andre and Cena.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hell, look at Diesel and he held the title for a year!
Yeah..and his only good matches (during his reign) were against Bret Hart.Plus Diesel was probably the worst drawing champion in the 90's.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Re: Why Undertaker Never Won The WWF Champion between 1992 and 1997?

He was never the franchise player in his entire career.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

Because he was over without the title. It's the same reason that a guy like Jake Roberts never held a WWF strap (to a certain extent in my opinion) or why the Road Warriors were rarely tag champs in their NWA days. They are so over they don't need straps.

I heard a rumour that Undertaker was held down for several years before getting his second title because Hulk Hogan had actually complained to McMahon and said Undertaker hurt him during their match at Survivor Series 1991. Don't know how true that is though

Hogan and Undertaker are good friends. Its why Hogan lets Undertaker beat him most of the times they have wrestled.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts

Taker/Hogan were in a movie together back in the day.

Also, Taker was often hurt I suppose from 93-96, hence him always losing casket matches. He seems like a guy, that unlike others, never would complain about a lack of title or main event matches and maybe the only reason he ever got any was because of Hogan losing steam in 91, the HBK/Bret situation in 97 and a way of saying thank you for being loyal in the past decade. He was always used more to help get over other talents and didn't need the title to stay relevant.

However, I think Bret from 93-95 was indeed more popular than Undertaker.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

It is quite simple and that is because in that time period and i would say up until late 2007 whoever was WWE champion or WWE/World champion on Raw post 2003 was always marketed as the top person in the company and as great as The Undertaker is that character isn't marketable as your face of the company. Back in between 1992 and 1997 they had two people in Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart who were very easy to market as the face of the company as they basically were themselves on screen and without a gimmick character whilst Diesel was being pushed, or at least an attempted push, as the new Hulk Hogan.

Back then being WWE champion really meant you were the very top guy in WWE and you were the one who would be doing all the promotional work and special appearances for the company and it wasn't until sometime in 1998 that The Undertaker really changed his character as far as in ring work went and only really began talking on screen consistently in mid 1996 once Paul Bearer had screwed him. A gimmick character with a dark persona who doesn't talk on screen isn't someone you can market as your very top guy and isn't someone who can do promotional work but at the same time The Undertaker never needed the WWE title because his character was so dominant he could feud with anyone and it be considered a semi main event.

Also though you have to factor in that before mid 1995 there was only 5 PPV's a year in The Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, King Of The Ring, SummerSlam and Survivor Series and WWE title matches on Raw or overseas tours were rare enough let alone title switches. In 1993 they were building up Lex Luger and Yokozuna so The Undertaker wasn't involved and then in 1994 he was off screen for half the year due to injury and by the time he came back there was already Bret/Owen and the build up to Michaels/Diesel in 1995. Through 1995 the plan was to build Shawn Michaels up and he was the main focus whilst in the mid card but by 1996 he was the main focus and the face of WWE and by 1997 they gave The Undertaker his longest reign but yet he was overshadowed by Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret Hart.

·
Registered
560 Posts

He was never the franchise player in his entire career.
This.

And that's not a slight mind you, but it's true. Growing up watching Wrestling in the late 80's and early 90's, the world title was reserved for only two kinds of people.

- heels who acted as transitional champions
- babyfaces who could act as the face of the company.

Someone brought up Jake The Snake earlier. He was very over but that doesn't mean he was the right guy to slap the belt on. It didn't matter though. He was still booked rather strong, he was protected, and he was featured in several high profile story angles. He was still one of their top faces and for a short time one of their top heels.

But world champion? I dunno. I'm not sure if his character had such mass appeal like Hogan or Warrior. And that's what you have to worry about. Would Jake The Snake's face have sold Nintendo games? Would kids be begging their mom for a foam snake when they passed through the gates at a live show? We'll never know.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

It is quite simple and that is because in that time period and i would say up until late 2007 whoever was WWE champion or WWE/World champion on Raw post 2003 was always marketed as the top person in the company and as great as The Undertaker is that character isn't marketable as your face of the company. Back in between 1992 and 1997 they had two people in Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart who were very easy to market as the face of the company as they basically were themselves on screen and without a gimmick character whilst Diesel was being pushed, or at least an attempted push, as the new Hulk Hogan.

Back then being WWE champion really meant you were the very top guy in WWE and you were the one who would be doing all the promotional work and special appearances for the company and it wasn't until sometime in 1998 that The Undertaker really changed his character as far as in ring work went and only really began talking on screen consistently in mid 1996 once Paul Bearer had screwed him. A gimmick character with a dark persona who doesn't talk on screen isn't someone you can market as your very top guy and isn't someone who can do promotional work but at the same time The Undertaker never needed the WWE title because his character was so dominant he could feud with anyone and it be considered a semi main event.

Also though you have to factor in that before mid 1995 there was only 5 PPV's a year in The Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, King Of The Ring, SummerSlam and Survivor Series and WWE title matches on Raw or overseas tours were rare enough let alone title switches. In 1993 they were building up Lex Luger and Yokozuna so The Undertaker wasn't involved and then in 1994 he was off screen for half the year due to injury and by the time he came back there was already Bret/Owen and the build up to Michaels/Diesel in 1995. Through 1995 the plan was to build Shawn Michaels up and he was the main focus whilst in the mid card but by 1996 he was the main focus and the face of WWE and by 1997 they gave The Undertaker his longest reign but yet he was overshadowed by Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret Hart.
I wouldn't say he was overshadowed by Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold and Bret Hart since Taker was in the main event more than the three.

Final Four
Wrestlemania
Cold Day In Hell
King of The Ring
Summerslam
Ground Zero
Bad Blood

And let's not forget that Taker/Kane was a major storyline.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts

I wouldn't say he was overshadowed by Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold and Bret Hart since Taker was in the main event more than the three.

Final Four
Wrestlemania
Cold Day In Hell
King of The Ring
Summerslam
Ground Zero
Bad Blood
But, HBK was always Vince's guy. Three of the main events you listed, HBK was apart of. The rest, Taker was overshadowed by HBK, Austin and Bret.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts