Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main event picture has witnessed a lot of split reactions lately. Cena, HHH, Punk and Nash have all been shown to be against each other, but nobody really stands out as the clear cut fan favorite.

I think this is a problem if this is by design. WWE is sacrificing the potential electric atmosphere of a traditional good vs evil rivalry in order to appease to every specific WWE fan, and in the process, no superstar stands out. No superstar rises above the rest and defines the direction that the business is going.

Punk can't get over in a HHH/Cena feud if HHH/Cena fans are being given reasons to still cheer for them. Cena can't get over in a Del Rio rivalry because he is despised by Punk fans (in general) and Del Rio is an established heel, so in essence you have a feud where more than a majority of the audience is against both superstars, marginalizing the anticipation and impact the feud could have.

Think of a major sports rivalry like the Yankees-Red Sox in a playoff game. Now picture that game being played on a neutral field instead of at Yankee Stadium or Fenway. Completely takes away the atmosphere of tens of thousands of passionate Yankee fans who despise Boston or the tens of thousands of passionate Red Sox fans who despise the Yankees. WWE needs to make up their minds and establish more distinguished roles in the main event, and they need to do it fast.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Not reading the OP but tweeners are most certainly not hurting the WWE, in fact I think they're helping it.

I mean think about the purpose of heels. They're there so that the audience hates them so much, they automatically love whoever they're feuding with, and even pay money in the hopes that they'll see them get their ass kicked.
But if everyone already loves the guys feuding, and they're being legit, there is no reason to change it. Kids are probably looking at the older audience thinking 'why the hell do they like CM Punk? He's mean, Cena is way better let's go Cena.' And the older audience are thinking 'stupid kids, that Cena is so corny and CM Punk is superior in every way.' What's wrong with that? Either way they are both paying money to support their favourite guys.

When you have traditional babyfaces and heels, it often means changing the character who's turning. Like, why is this guy suddenly insulting every crowd he's in front of? It's a little nonsensical. The good thing about so called "tweener" storylines is that it's much like real life, they all have a point so to speak. Like, you see where Triple H is coming from, but you also see where CM Punk is coming from. The interest lies in who you choose to support.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
CM Punk should be face, Cena needs to turn heel along with Triple H.

Cena would beat Del Rio and become a corporate heel champion, aligning himself with Triple H.

Probably not going to happen though.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You do realise that Steve Austin was basically a tweener, right?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
1-2 tweeners help the WWE, 4-5 tweeners hurt WWE. Right now I see Punk, Orton only as tweeners. Stone Cold was a tweener and he saved WWF.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
how are tweeners hurting the wwe its tweeners that get everyone tuning in because you never know what theyre gonna do
This I agree with to an extent. Uncertainty definitely helps things as far as a 'I must tune in' standpoint.

The fact that WWE is actually going to go ahead with developing their own TV Network tells me that the ratings must be sufficient enough along with their other revenue stream; so as long as the product is appealing to me, I could care about ratings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts