Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all of the PG Era people who fail to understand why the Rock is more popular than their hero, John Cena.

Here are some of the funny promos that I could find. Obviously its a fraction of what's available.

He uses a few of his catchphrases in this one but its pretty funny. The Rock + Jericho = Comedy Gold.

The Rock Sings (Rock vs Austin promo) One of the best promos ever!

The Rock bashes Cleveland

The Rock and Lillian Garcia

Rock vs Orton. Insults everyone all the way out of the building. :lmao

The Rock and Michael Cole

Rock mocks the Big Show :lmao And btw, you Cena fans need to listen carefully to the crowd during this entire clip. You'll NEVER hear people cheer for Cena like that.

The mocks the Big Show, Undertaker and Kane

Rock mocks various people again... Painus in your Anus. This is one of my favorites.

The Rock insults Toronto, Canadians, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, etc.. Cheered and booed during the same segment. Only the Rock can do that. lol No one in history got the kind of cheers as a face and heat as a heel that the Rock was able to get anytime he wanted. He always had the audience in the palm of his hand.

And of course the highest rated segment of RAW ever:

Rock: This is Your Life Watch all three.

Anyway, these are just examples of why the Rock is truly the best thing to ever happen to the WWE. As he likes to say now, the Rock brings it like no one else. He brings the ratings, sold out PPVs, sold merchandise, etc...

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Punk legions will still say that Rock's not in Punks league. Most delusional fanbase I have ever seen.
Well, I'm actually among the Punk legions. :eek: Personally I think Punk is a way better wrestler and he's probably one of the best promo guys right now but he's not on the Rock's level on the mic. The Rock isn't that great to watch in the ring but he owns the mic.

· Banned
3,816 Posts
Rock is the best mic man i've ever seen.

not a fan of his catchphrases, but the man is funny as hell and always spontaneous when insults, making fun of others. i don't think he even goes as scripted ("i'm the best yadda yadda").. it's just so natural

· Banned
8,974 Posts
Well, I'm actually among the Punk legions. :eek: Personally I think Punk is a way better wrestler and he's probably one of the best promo guys right now but he's not on the Rock's level on the mic. The Rock isn't that great to watch in the ring but he owns the mic.
I greatly disagree but we all have different opinions.

· Registered
6,603 Posts
He's one of the greats. Still don't think he's a patch on Roberts, Foley and Piper but I prefer the dark and serious promos, the psychological and emotional side of it more than fat and slut jokes and mild cuss words.

It's all personal opinion, and I'm overjoyed to see The Rock back, but I still think the Piper's Pit before Barrett vs Orton was a better promo than either of his in recent weeks.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
NoGimmicksNeeded covered almost all of my perspective. I'd take Roberts, Foley, Piper, Austin, a lot of Jericho and Punk... Hell, I'd unhesitatingly take the latest in-ring promo from Cody Rhodes over 80% of Rock's promo output. Rock can be quite funny but I tend to prefer darker, more serious promos that at least ever so briefly make me suspend my disbelief to wholly buy into the drama of the ongoing events in the moment of watching wrestling.

· Registered
23,494 Posts
In terms of getting crowd reactions, The Rock is no doubt one of the very best ever, if not THE best ever. However, actually having a meaningful promo that I would remember... the guy is way down there on the list. Saying "Roodie Poo", "Jabroni", "Candy Ass" and talking about lubing shit up and sticking it in people's butts just doesn't cut it for me personally.

· Registered
7,396 Posts
thread title made me laugh.

· Registered
676 Posts
You're all wrong.
Flair is by far the greatest promo man of all times, and there's not a damn thing anyone can say to refute that. Gimme a fukkin break, people. the rock never cut a promo that didn't disappoint me in some way. Next on the list would be HHH. 3rd would hafta be Dusty, despite him being shit in every other aspect of his persona. and 4th on my list is Y2J. the peoples chump was nothing more than a walking catchphrase who oversold every move and was the archetype of ignorant jock in all things that he ever said.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Oh yeah. A lot of Raven, and definitely Macho Man, Flair, Dusty and yes, I'd say Triple H when he's feeling it... Prefer them all to Rock.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, if you prefer darker promos, Raven would probably be near the top.

In terms of getting crowd reactions, The Rock is no doubt one of the very best ever, if not THE best ever. However, actually having a meaningful promo that I would remember... the guy is way down there on the list. Saying "Roodie Poo", "Jabroni", "Candy Ass" and talking about lubing shit up and sticking it in people's butts just doesn't cut it for me personally.
I'm not talking about the catchphrases. If you watch most of those videos, you'll see that there was a lot more to most of his good promos than just throwing out his catchphrases.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Why is it that the super Rock marks always have to try to PROVE their opinions? I've never seen so many overprotective people coddling their hero from even the slightest criticisms. The second somebody even suggests that Rock and his platoon of school yard jokes and decade old catchphrases might not be the be all and end all of wrestling, the links start popping up out of nowhere. I guess his work just doesn't speak for itself like a lot of other peoples.

· Registered
995 Posts
For sheer entertainment value and laughs, it's The Rock very closely followed by Y2J for me. In terms of general promos, I'd go with Piper, Roberts and Foley. All brilliant, but none have made me laugh out loud as Rock has.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.