Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years we heard, ''Cena buries people'', ''Cena gives no one a chance'' blah, blah.

Now almost 3 years, he is now in Hollywood, doing his movies, his shows and hosting. He has taken a major backseat from WWE. He himself said that he is ready to have someone take his place.

Everybody asks me, 'hey, when are you moving over?' It just fuels me to get stronger, faster and hone my craft more," Cena stated. "People have moments, moments that last in the annals of WWE history. But if you look at what I've done, I just show up all the time and deliver. I am waiting for someone after 14 years to show up all the time and deliver. You can ask many other WWE Superstars who know exactly how hard that is. I am just waiting for someone not to do it once, just to do it consistently better."
He has lost clean to some of these wrestlers, put them over and not even one of them comes close to take his place. He is still the face, and still he sells more merchandise than everyone even though he is now a part-timer.

I feel like the is this huge void that missing when Cena takes his breaks. You can tell Smackdown lacks something when he is not there. You can be a great wrestler, but you have to tell a story and make people want to listen to you.

Can we now accept that Cena wasn't the problem, that the problem was no one ever came close to what he gives to the company.

Reactions: Heath V

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Because while he's nowhere near as massive for the business as guys like Hogan, Flair, Rock, Austin he's still a great draw that not just anybody is going to pass unless they just have that special something. You had guys who've periodically outsold him, but nobody that could sustain it.

He has that special it quality and a 14 year run as a premier character and 12 as thee main event, that's a lot to pass up unless you're just that once in a lifetime​ talent who is going to bring back interest to the business in a noticeable way. At this point they just have to find somebody to sustain until somebody can take the reigns.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
When it comes to look and work ethic nobody even comes close, he is a companies dream employee! People can deny it all they want but Cena really is the modern day total package.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree.

If you look up to all John Cena feud and the people who he "buried", I cannot find who actually will be Top Star if he hadnt "buried" (except he already top star like Batista, Shawn, HHH etc). You may say Bray, Rusev, and KO, but I dont think so because they all still have long career.

Ohhh there is one, he is Wade Barret. But yeah, ONLY ONE and he left because he want to rest from prowrestling (CMIIW).

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Daniel Bryan, CM Punk were guys that were set to replace Cena, but due to unfortunate circumstances not much could be done. WWE wanted Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose to be the next guys but this plan isn't working much either. At one point HHH and Steph have to realize that the next guy besides Wyatt, Rollins that the fans go crazy for means that will be your next top guy. We get it, Reigns is their top choice, but it's not Vince's actual choice when he said he wanted some wrestlers to reach for that brass ring and then said Cesaro can't because he is Swiss. Cena, Vince, HHH may know to an extent of who isn't their next top guy, but the real problem is that they can't really figure out who it is with the current booking and creative. Do you modify the Reigns character and let him do some cool moves like his brother did and turn him heel or do you force the fans to follow your choice? McMahon knows something is wrong, it's HHH and Steph that need to step up more.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Thing with Cena which is what I said would happen is that they would try to assign someone the same role not realizing that Cena is one of a kind and can't be replaced. He was never rock, Hogan or Austin at their peaks but he was incredibly consistent for more than a decade whereas the aforementioned trio saw huge booms and busts during their runs.

Someone mentioned punk and Bryan but we all know WWE would try to turn both into Cena jr..Bryan was already happening.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it is because WWE is dividing its attention to many, short storylines with several Superstars, instead of a few, big storylines who can elevate someone into the new face of the company.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
He's been the only total package for many years. While others have been popular and great in certain areas they've always had big problems like age/injuries/physique/charisma/availability, he's the only one that ticks all boxes.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Because Cena became the top guy in a time where wrestling was still a hot product/commodity. It isn't now. It isn't mainstream. So how can anyone take his place? People remember Cena from a time when wrestling was COOL. It's even harder to bring new eyes to the product now because there are so many options in regards to TV nowadays.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For years we heard, ''Cena buries people'', ''Cena gives no one a chance'' blah, blah.

Now almost 3 years, he is now in Hollywood, doing his movies, his shows and hosting. He has taken a major backseat from WWE. He himself said that he is ready to have someone take his place.

He has lost clean to some of these wrestlers, put them over and not even one of them comes close to take his place. He is still the face, and still he sells more merchandise than everyone even though he is now a part-timer.

I feel like the is this huge void that missing when Cena takes his breaks. You can tell Smackdown lacks something when he is not there. You can be a great wrestler, but you have to tell a story and make people want to listen to you.

Can we now accept that Cena wasn't the problem, that the problem was no one ever came close to what he gives to the company.
It's not like they haven't tried to install Cena's successor.

However, the public had largely rejected Roman Reigns.

Every big moment Roman has is showered in boos, and it's nothing personal. I feel sorry for the guy, being put in such a bad situation all the time.

Hell, even the Rock couldn't get him over, holding his hand up in the center of the ring, basically the WWE brass going to their meal-ticket and DEMANDING the public accept their orders.

Well, the public overall said "Nope".

Ratings continue to fall. We'll see how long the WWE's ego holds before they can even begin to admit they cannot dictate what works in wrestling.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The biggest reason is that being in that position is something few are capable of handling and even fewer are capable of achieving. I'ts not a position that just anyone can thrive in. It's not even a booking issue as all "top" guys get some sort of unrealistic booking. It comes right down to the person in the position. He's going o be hard to replace because guys who have the requisite tools from a presentation standpoint may not be able to handle the rigors of actually being the guy that catches the heat for the entire company. There is a very fine line that needs to be walked in regards to wrestler and face of the company. Right now the WWE lacks a person with the requisite connection and skillset to really take Cena's spot.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Because they never invested the time to develop anyone else. The WWE worked best back in the day when everyone had a role. The Attitude Era was shaped largely by Stone Cold and The Rock. Still you had guys like Mick Foley, Undertaker, Triple H helping out. The WWE could have done that during the time of Johnny Boy and did not instead putting all their eggs in the 1 basket. That basket is stepping away now and the WWE is suffering because of it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
When it comes to look and work ethic nobody even comes close, he is a companies dream employee! People can deny it all they want but Cena really is the modern day total package.
Miz can easily give Cena a run for his money on work ethics and mic skills, but not the looks or actual wrestling

·
Registered
588 Posts
Because Cena is a total package and he had enough charisma and mainstream appeal. And today is a lot harder because people who are older doesn't like babyfaces anymore. Wrestlers are too generic today, nobody has a good character. The Shield have failed at this point but they are still young and maybe they can repackage them in the future.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Vince is going to just keep doing whatever he wants to, until something forces him to change. Even then, the only time any of the changes lead to a significantly better product, was when his company and way of life were being threatened and he had to take a back seat.

They haven't found a successor for Cena yet, because Vince still hasn't gotten to a point where he feels he has to go in a different direction then the guy he picked 6 years ago to be the lead-in-waiting, for his increasingly unintelligible reimagining of the Adventures of Superman.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,633 Posts
They had that with styles but wwe wanted cena to have his 16th title which was meaningless and uneventful. Then they gave the belt to wyatt which had potential but sadly he feuded with Randy Boreton who dropped the belt to Juice. Wwe had a John cena replacement but they are so obsessed with braking the record that they ruined that despite the fact that cena should never even mentioned in the same sentence as ric flair let alone be equals in title reigns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts