Wrestling Forum banner

Why the fuck are they humanising Orton?

7223 Views 119 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  Marrow
They are getting seriously close to completely ruining his entire character which has taken years to build. The Viper is not supposed to be a caring husband and father. The Viper does not give interviews about how much his loves his big shiny bus. The Viper doesn't give a fuck. But last week it started with them showing his family on TV and then this week incorporating them in the storyline. Yeah I understand it added an extra dimension to the storyline but they would not pull that shit if it was say, Undertaker or Kane, and I think Orton's character should be taken as seriously as those two are.

Maybe Orton is just going through another evolution where he is a more humanised version of himself similar to Triple H's character but right now it just seems so so so wrong.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Registered
845 Posts
Well it's not like they built him as an monster with no human qualities or morals. Remember HHH coming into his own home and even threatening to return the favor to Orton's "wife"? Yea,they did pretty much the same thing when Orton was feuding with HHH and he was an evil and nearly unsympathetic heel during that time.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Couldn't agree more. It's not enough that he is becoming so stale in the ring, now they want to ruin his character's persona as well.
That match with Mysterio on Monday was anything but stale. That's the Orton I want to see, not the one racking up 5 move combos like Cena does but the Orton that can hit a signature out from nowhere. 1, 2 or even 3 move combos I can handle but stuff like that should be spread apart which is something which Orton seems to be trying to get used to. He's still pretty new at wrestling as a face. Until last year, he hadn't done it since 2004-2005.

· Registered
421 Posts
Maybe they're going back to the "Cocky Legend Killer" gimmick he had on his first (and failed) Face run!?!? When he used to give interviews, flirt with women etc (RKO to Stacey was awesome!!)

· Registered
4,651 Posts
I'm not exactly an expert on Randy Orton mythology, but isn't the whole idea behind the Viper persona that he's a cold, calm and collected kind of guy who hears voices in his head telling him to go into crazy mode?

I see no reason why the Viper can't love. I think you just want him all to yourself.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Maybe they're going back to the "Cocky Legend Killer" gimmick he had on his first (and failed) Face run!?!? When he used to give interviews, flirt with women etc (RKO to Stacey was awesome!!)
I somehow doubt he'll flirt with women considering it's pretty public that he has a wife and kid as well as the fact that WWE have acknowledged that. But he seems to be meshing his 'Viper' gimmick with his 'One man Dynasty' gimmick which tbh I'm happy with considering his 'Viper' gimmick at 100% can confuse the audience sometimes (i.e. the children) because he doesn't act like Cena does.

· Registered
421 Posts
I somehow doubt he'll flirt with women considering it's pretty public that he has a wife and kid as well as the fact that WWE have acknowledged that. But he seems to be meshing his 'Viper' gimmick with his 'One man Dynasty' gimmick which tbh I'm happy with considering his 'Viper' gimmick at 100% can confuse the audience sometimes (i.e. the children) because he doesn't act like Cena does.
I didnt mean he was going to start again, I meant the gimmick he used when he used to flirt with every diva in the building as an example of the sort of things he used to do.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
I'm not exactly an expert on Randy Orton mythology, but isn't the whole idea behind the Viper persona that he's a cold, calm and collected kind of guy who hears voices in his head telling him to go into crazy mode?

I see no reason why the Viper can't love. I think you just want him all to yourself.
Well, think about vipers in the wild. Do they brag about having their own company vehicles?

No. All a viper wants to do is sink its venomous fangs into whatever motherfucker it can.

Likewise, I don't think a character that has been established as a violent sociopath with schizophrenia that experiences auditory hallucinations should be shown as a loving spouse and doting parent. It just doesn't feel right.

· Registered
4,024 Posts
Yeah I don't like this side of Orton either, I went to a house show on Sunday and after his match he was high fiving and hugging all of the fans around ringside. WWE probably doesn't want kids to be confused, they won't see Orton as a face if he's always shown as an evil man who likes to kick people in the head or as he always says skull.

· Registered
9,884 Posts
They're trying to sell him to Cena fans.

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I usually agree with you Samee, but not with this topic. Orton got really stale and was completely boring. But this lightens up his character a little bit, hopefully not too much. He will still be the same "Viper" in the ring, he just needs more character to prevent him from going stale.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Well, think about vipers in the wild. Do they brag about having their own company vehicles?

No. All a viper wants to do is sink its venomous fangs into whatever motherfucker it can.

Likewise, I don't think a character that has been established as a violent sociopath with schizophrenia that experiences auditory hallucinations should be shown as a loving spouse and doting parent. It just doesn't feel right.
I think the idea of the whole 'Viper' nickname is at least when he's a face, when Orton goes into that 'voices in his head' schizophrenic-type state, he begins to take up some of the behavioural mannerisms of a viper which is to 'sink it's venomous fangs into whatever motherfucker it can', as you put it. It just so happens Orton can control that and he focuses it on people he chooses to focus it on. I suppose the uncontrolled Orton would be better but in this evironment it wouldn't work atm so Orton being like this is all good in my book.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's not like they built him as an monster with no human qualities or morals. Remember HHH coming into his own home and even threatening to return the favor to Orton's "wife"? Yea,they did pretty much the same thing when Orton was feuding with HHH and he was an evil and nearly unsympathetic heel during that time.
Simply having a wife doesn't seem so weird for Orton's character seeing as in the segment with Triple H he didn't seem to care for his family at all, he just cared about saving his own ass. I understand he was heel then but you get my point. Back then he was sick and deranged that he kissed an unconscious woman in front of her crying husband after knocking her out. Could you see the current Orton doing that? No.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

A whole dimension to the character is him being ice-cold and completely void of emotion. A dimension that has seemingly been lost now.

Maybe it will be for the best like I said in the OP but right now it's just weird and feels very wrong.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
They should ignore his real life familiy just like they do with Kane and Undertaker. Undertaker is even married to Michelle McCool, but Kane never tried to kick her ass to get to Taker.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.