Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forever Blowing Bubbles!
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is Edge/Del Rio random with no build up? For a start, there's still a couple of months before Wrestlemania. There is more than enough time to build Wrestlemania worthy heat between the two. Also, are we forgetting that ADR took out Edge's best buddy Christian? I fully expect that to come into the feud and that within itself gives Del Rio a shitload of heat with Christian's popularity, and Edge can use this to his advantage to get the fans behind him. Then Christian could return and add even more spark to the feud. At first he would ally himself with Edge, but as the feud goes on they could pull off stunts that makes Christian's intentions questionable. Then they could either make it a triple threat for Mania or the more likely scenario in my view, Edge vs. Del Rio with Christian in Edge's corner. Maybe a heel turn at the end of the match costing Edge the World Title giving the IWC an orgasm and Edge/Christian post Wrestlemania program. The possibilities are endless. I've heard a lot of people complaining that this is a random feud and not Wrestlemania worthy and just wanted to put this out there.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
ADR/Edge seems so random.
If they weren't so quick to have them face off, Mysterio/ADR would've been better.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
ADR/Edge seems so random.
If they weren't so quick to have them face off, Mysterio/ADR would've been better.
ADR won the rumble and a shot at the title.

Edge has the title.

ADR must face the guy with the title to use his title shot.

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS RANDOM?????????

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
ADR won the rumble and a shot at the title.

Edge has the title.

ADR must face the guy with the title to use his title shot.

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS RANDOM?????????
Random in that it doesn't have a backstory from either wrestler to make it great WM match.

Ex. Michaels/Hart, Cena/JBL & HHH/Beniot/Michaels

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Its random because all one-on-one matches, and especially championship matches at Wrestlemania are usually big payoffs to a feud that's been going for a while, or that has some meaning to it. The only reason Del Rio and Edge are facing is because Del Rio won the rumble and Edge is champion. No story or emotion there whatsoever.

However, the optimist in me will be glad to eat my words if over the next couple of months they can actually making this pairing worthwhile. I liked your idea about Christian being in Edge's corner at WM and costing him the title, but seeing as its likely they are going with Kofi/Del Rio to build momentum for WM its possible they may just leave Christian out of the whole thing altogether. Which would no doubt suck cause he would bring a lot more depth to the feud. I guess time will tell how this turns out.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Its random because all one-on-one matches, and especially championship matches at Wrestlemania are usually big payoffs to a feud that's been going for a while, or that has some meaning to it. The only reason Del Rio and Edge are facing is because Del Rio won the rumble and Edge is champion. No story or emotion there whatsoever.

However, the optimist in me will be glad to eat my words if over the next couple of months they can actually making this pairing worthwhile. I liked your idea about Christian being in Edge's corner at WM and costing him the title, but seeing as its likely they are going with Kofi/Del Rio to build momentum for WM its possible they may just leave Christian out of the whole thing altogether. Which would no doubt suck cause he would bring a lot more depth to the feud. I guess time will tell how this turns out.
this makes me think that mysterio will walk out of the chamber with the strap seeing as ADR VS Rey Mysterio actually has a backstory to it somewhat

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
I guess I'm not too fond of it because they have no real heat between the two of them and their pairing just is not very appealing. They have no common ground or past, there's nothing that binds them together. Its obviously not a "dream match". Before this no one was saying "Man I hope one day we can see Del Rio vs Edge!"

I don't know. You hope for bigger matchups than Del Rio vs Edge for Wrestlemania, especially when the match involves the royal rumble winner.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Edge is so irrelevant now, that’s my problem.

·
New Game. New Rules. New Era.
4,440 Posts
^^ Exactly. And Edge/Del Rio seems like a Bragging Rights worthy PPV match. It doesn't seem like a WM worthy Match. TBH, they should've went with Mysterio/ADR if they didn't have them battle so many times.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I know this Edge/Del Rio feud hasn't started yet but for some reason it's just hard to care about this upcoming feud, it lacks any backstory other than 'champion vs contender' label, it just seems blah considering it's a WM world title program. IMO, this Edge/Del Rio feud needs third participant to turn its heat up, and that person should be either Christian, or my personal choice, Kofi Kingston.

The reason why Christian should be involved is obvious and OP has explained it well. And my alternative feud is that Kofi should also get involved in the Edge/Del Rio world title program. Kofi has started his feud with Del Rio, did you watch the Del Rio/Kofi/Swoggle segment on Smackdown? I gotta say that segment was very entertaining and showed that Del Rio and Kofi could have a great feud in the future, i love the aggression that both men showed and this kind of aggression is needed to make any feud exciting to watch. Kofi can make the Edge/Del Rio feud tons more interesting, WWE is all about the youths at this stage, Kofi is the current reigning IC champion and he doesn't have any contender for his title, i think he should get involved further in the upcoming Edge/Del Rio feud instead of just simply serving as a fodder to Del Rio at EC. WWE should build him up as a threat to Del Rio, if WWE has any balls, let Kofi go over Del Rio at EC and i'm sure this will benefit both men, Kofi wins against Del Rio in a convincing fashion and then Del Rio will try to injure him afterwards, this will keep Kofi's momentum yet at the same time giving Del Rio massive heel heat boost, i know this sounds very risky but it's worth a try to keep both men relevant instead of keeping one of them relevant while hurting the other. As for Edge, he already had a confrontation with Del Rio on Raw and Edge also had wronged Kofi in the past *coughsnowayout2009*, Kofi can also claim that he deserves a world title shot at WM since he beat a Royal Rumble winner and he has worked hard to get to where he is right now, and then Teddy Long will return and grants Kofi's wish, these backstories could potentially produce an intense, exciting world title program.

Kofi can deliver a strong match with anyone and is good at getting fan reaction during matches which will make any match more exciting to watch. Del Rio is pretty skilled, and Edge would need good opponents to have a great match these days (his matches with Miz have been terrible IMO), i'm sure these three can deliver in a triple threat match WM main event. Del Rio should come out as a winner, and then feuds with Kofi afterwards in a long intense feud which culminates in Kofi finally winning the world title at some point.

·
My man
6,506 Posts
This is why new wrestlers shouldn't get the main event at wrestlemania, there's no background to them, there's nothing epic about it. Anyone facing the Undertaker is pretty epic, but anyone facing Edge is lackluster. Even Orton vs Kofi would be better than ADR vs Edge because it's got some tension and background to it, heck Barrett or Jackson vs the Big Show will have more background to it than ADR vs Edge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I got a few

I'm sick of edge in world title matches at mania, hes becoming like cena. The past four years hes been in a world title match. GTFO already

Delrio isn't ready he's hasn't been in wwe half a year for goodness sake
While Regal will be lucky to make a dark match at mania and he's giving the wwe years and years of his life

good enough?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
just a question for those who complain about the "backstory"

how do you want any new guy to get backstory if you don't give them story at all?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. Both of the guys are good and I'm confident they will put on a real solid feud. There is enough time to create interest, but they are going to have to push it really hard ASAP.

·
My man
6,506 Posts
just a question for those who complain about the "backstory"

how do you want any new guy to get backstory if you don't give them story at all?
That's the problem when you book new guys to strongly, look at Wade, he's got issues with a lot of the major wrestlers already as most of the time he lost out, Del Rio on the other hand basically walked all over his and now he's stuck feuding with someone else he has no history with. It's the same problem Sheamus kind of had to, he lost all momentum because he won every feud he had, now he's lucky if he gets into the main event on RAW.

·
Ho!
18,025 Posts
Del Rio shouldn't be main eventing Mania yet, and with Edge in the shape he's in, I don't think the match will be that good. That plus what everyone else has said about there being no emotional investment or back story to the match.

That being said, people should wait to see what happens. I mean, while I don't see the potential myself, who knows? This could be feud of the year with correct booking and writing. I wouldn't count on it, but I'd be happy to see that happens.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
Del Rio shouldn't be main eventing Mania yet, and with Edge in the shape he's in, I don't think the match will be that good. That plus what everyone else has said about there being no emotional investment or back story to the match.

That being said, people should wait to see what happens. I mean, while I don't see the potential myself, who knows? This could be feud of the year with correct booking and writing. I wouldn't count on it, but I'd be happy to see that happens.
What I was going to say. While the prospects of this feud don't sound too appealing, I'm at least going to wait and see what we get before yapping lol.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,340 Posts
Isn't this Edge's 4th or 5th straight year in a heavyweight championship match at Wrestlemania? I was away from WWE and I've been trying to catch up with major storylines and PPVs. I'm shocked that Edge has had so many month long title reigns. He doesn't seem
to be in condition to wrestle the top PPV in the main event for a title and the retirement
talk is quite off-putting.

I would have preferred to see Morrison or Kingston go against Del Rio.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's the problem when you book new guys to strongly, look at Wade, he's got issues with a lot of the major wrestlers already as most of the time he lost out, Del Rio on the other hand basically walked all over his and now he's stuck feuding with someone else he has no history with. It's the same problem Sheamus kind of had to, he lost all momentum because he won every feud he had, now he's lucky if he gets into the main event on RAW.
I have to disagree a little. This isn't so much about ADR being booked strongly coz he really hasn't, he's won matches against Rey and RTruth and even then he won half of those due to his personal ring announcer. The problem is that he hasn't really had interactions with anyone really. There is little history coz of the litle time he has been around. He won the feud ending match with Rey but it only made Rey look better as he stopped and beat the hell out of Ricardo. Barrett was in many ways a fluke, he did something epic then spent months going toe to toe with Cena and also facing others on the side, He is being built how Del Rio should be, hanging out in the main event scene being close to the title but doing other relevant things in the mean time.

Del Rio just went from feuding with Rey to feuding with Truth to Royal rumble winner, with very little happening all this way. The problem I see with this feud, is that Del Rio still seems midcard he hasn't been booked to look like a main eventer, he's only been on PPV 2 times b4 the rumble and he lost both time and in one he was knocked out and carried off. The match just lacks the feel of two main eventers going 4 the title, maybe this will change going into mania but i dunno, when it comes to main event interactions SD is not the place to be

1 - 20 of 27 Posts