Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know he bought it but that was his gimmick and I'm sure he defended it atleast once before losing it.

I don't think there is/was another millionaire character in wrestling so it should be just this storyline and recognize him as a former world champion.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
you have a valid point due to the fact Ziggler is recognised as a 2 time champ.

other than that its pretty obvious.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
It was back in a time when very careful consideration went into making sure the belt stayed over. I've read somewhere that they were going to allow him to keep it and changed their mind after a few matches. Can't remember where and I searched real quick and can't verify that, though. In hindsight I wish they had let him keep it and had him and Savage trade wins up until around Survivor Series. It would have done wonders for his legacy. It's not like the terrific matches him and Savage put on that year didn't bring honor to the title.

They did an entire tournament and still ended up sending the exact same message to the audience that was sent that night on The Main Event. Neither Dibiase or Savage were going to have that belt unless Hogan was intentionally eliminated somehow. Might as well have just rolled with Dibiase as champion

Reactions: M.V.W.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It was back in a time when very careful consideration went into making sure the belt stayed over. I've read somewhere that they were going to allow him to keep it and changed their mind after a few matches. Can't remember where and I searched real quick and can't verify that, though. In hindsight I wish they had let him keep it and had him and Savage trade wins up until around Survivor Series. It would have done wonders for his legacy. It's not like the terrific matches him and Savage put on that year didn't bring honor to the title.

They did an entire tournament and still ended up sending the exact same message to the audience that was sent that night on The Main Event. Neither Dibiase or Savage were going to have that belt unless Hogan was intentionally eliminated somehow. Might as well have just rolled with Dibiase as champion
it was all about hogan then tho bud.

if he didn't like something then it didn't work for him, brother

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,477 Posts
it was all about hogan then tho bud.

if he didn't like something then it didn't work for him, brother
It was all about Hogan back then but I don't believe that was Hogan's doing completely. Hogan was supposedly much more humble back then and wasn't using his backstage political pull as much. Vince was the one pushing the Hogan machine more than even Hogan was.

Either way, the fact that they didn't strip Andre immediately for attempting to compromise the integrity of the title and they billed DiBiase as the champion for three house shows means that he should be recognize as a former champion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
although thinking about it, wasn't HHH awarded the title the once? thats bullshit as well!
HHH was awarded the title Because he won a number 1 contender match and When Brooke became exclusive to SmackDown that number 1 contender match won Take the place of a title match won

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It was all about Hogan back then but I don't believe that was Hogan's doing completely. Hogan was supposedly much more humble back then and wasn't using his backstage political pull as much. Vince was the one pushing the Hogan machine more than even Hogan was.

Either way, the fact that they didn't strip Andre immediately for attempting to compromise the integrity of the title and they billed DiBiase as the champion for three house shows means that he should be recognize as a former champion.
you are correct, if someone was ever billed as champ they should be recognised as such

HHH was awarded the title Because he won a number 1 contender match and When Brooke became exclusive to SmackDown that number 1 contender match won Take the place of a title match won
i know the story but it seems a tad weak, they should have done something instead of awarding it to someone.

If in Dibiases case it was a heelish thing to pull then fair enough. but just to award the title? seems weak to me.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,410 Posts
I think it was just a way to get the title off of Hogan and onto Savage without having the two face each other because they were both babyfaces. I don't think Debiase was really factored into it tbh. But looking back now, it would have been great if Debiase was allowed to hold it for a time and then drop the title to Randy Savage. It would have gotten him tremendous heel heat, and it plays into Million Dollar Man's character.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Because he "bought" the belt. Still think he should have won the tourney at WM 4.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Here's Dibiase and Honky Tonk Man discussing what the original plans were. Dibiase was going to be win the tournament. Savage was subbed in due to circumstances.

·
Premium Member
15,068 Posts
From the company's perspective, there was no reason they should have. Dibiase wasn't a legitimate champion. He bought it and the integrity of the title was compromised so much that, the next day on TV, Tunney banned the commentators from even talking about it, only to lift the ban for the following week, which is when he vacated the belt.

And his reasoning for vacating the belt was a perfect explanation for why Dibiase wasn't and shouldn't have been recognized as champion. He detailed the only way a wrestler could win the title, via pinfall or submission (which Dibiase didn't). As far him not immediately stripped Andre of the belt for compromising it's integrity, he kind of did. The reasoning for stripping Andre was because of the "rulebook", which states that a champion may end his reign by publicly surrendering the title which, in Tunney's words, "is exactly what happened when Andre The Giant presented the championship belt to Ted Dibiase". The only problem with that was, in the upcoming tournament, he practically rewarded Andre despite him being the cause of the mess to begin with.

Regardless, there's no case to be made for Dibiase being recognized as champion. Could totally see if he was randomly stripped of the title with no rhyme or reason but Tunney perfectly explained why neither of the three should be champion. You can't bring up Triple H, as that's not comparable. Triple H was given the title by the company (in the context of kayfabe). Dibiase bought the title from a guy that, according to Tunney's explanation, rendered the belt vacant the minute he sold it to Dibiase. In other words, based on his ruling on Andre's actions alone, Dibiase's reign didn't exist. Andre's actions negated that, so there's no reason why Dibiase should've been recognized as champion.

He was only recognized on house shows in order to get heat on him. I'd also argue it was because the day after The Main Event, they had two huge, yet regionally televised house shows that evening in Boston and that night in Philly, which Dibiase worked Hogan in tag matches on top. The wound is still fresh. And for the sake of the story, it's better to leave it untreated for another week than to bandage it up for the sake of...I'm not even sure there's a valid reason to react that fast, considering the objective, which is to get heat on Dibiase. Philly, Boston and the cliff hanger presentation on TV was the perfect way to do it.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
i know the story but it seems a tad weak, they should have done something instead of awarding it to someone.
Don't forget though that was just the beginning of the booking of that title being weak for over a year. Trips lost it a month later to HBK at the first Elimination Chamber, just to win it back the next month... and thus started The Reign of Terror.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dibiase also got shafted out of being the first ever IC champ. In 1979, Dibiase won something called the "North American Heavyweight Championship". The gist of it was that upon signing with the company, WWE saw big things for Dibiase and although they were uncomfortable about putting the World Championship on him, they crafted a special belt for him in order to differentiate him from the rest of the roster.

I remember watching a shoot with Dibiase years back and from what I recall he mentioned it became this political thing where either Pat Patterson or Vince Sr. wanted to get the belt off him and get it on to Patterson. So initially they just had Dibiase drop the belt to Patterson but then ultimately decided to scrap the NAHC and reboot it as the IC championship by having Patterson win a fictitious tournament in Rio. There is probably a bit more to it than that but after all these years my memory is all fogged.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
He didn't ever win it (he was handed it by Andre the Giant) and then he never defended it (did he?) Either way, the reason they don't count him is part of storyline "you may have all the money in the world but you can never buy the title"

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He didn't ever win it (he was handed it by Andre the Giant) and then he never defended it (did he?) Either way, the reason they don't count him is part of storyline "you may have all the money in the world but you can never buy the title"
He defended it on house shows which was something back then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts