Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just watched the main events of rampage this week and we have Moxley in his usual no rules fight all round the ring using the ring furniture blading himself match and ending with a run of the mill no rules garbage tag match. Does anyone enjoy this stuff?

Don't get me wrong i enjoyed watching ECW from time to time and occasional Terry funk or cactus jack matches. Public enemy and nasty boys were fun now and then. But when you run this shit every single week it's just gets lame as fuck. They seem to have booked themselves into a corner that they have to try and out do it every single week.

These type matches should only bee seen once every few months and talent should not be allowed to use furniture in between so as to make them a big deal when they do happen. Now we have 120 pound women doing them regularly and it just looks phoney and fake and they are just plain boring now.

AEW really need to employ an experienced booker at this point who understands the business and does not hot shot things every week.

·
Waiting for Kawato
4,461 Posts
They tend to do pretty well, numbers-wise, so they keep doing it. You would think it would be a case of diminishing returns, but I guess they're just determined to run it into the ground.

There are exaggerations in your post, of course, but I do agree with your general point. Of course, all things considered, they're doing pretty well, so to say the guy doesn't understand the business is a bit much. They've been going for 3 years now, he's not some greenhorn.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
They committing the same mistakes as lucha underground to me, LU started overdoing ot with hardcore style matches around season 3 to try and grab back ratings and all it did was water down the product and the same is happening with aew, maybe khan should push those that can actually show in ring psychology to grab fan interest instead of having to lower themselves to tacky blading, thumbtacks and table spot tactics on a weekly basis because when fans grow bored of watching it every week, then what will they have left to save their flagging ratings, more wwe reject signings?

·
Waiting for Kawato
4,461 Posts
They committing the same mistakes as lucha underground to me, LU started overdoing ot with hardcore style matches around season 3 to try and grab back ratings and all it did was water down the product and the same is happening with aew, maybe khan should push those that can actually show in ring psychology to grab fan interest instead of having to lower themselves to tacky blading, thumbtacks and table spot tactics on a weekly basis because when fans grow bored of watching it every week, then what will they have left to save their flagging ratings, more wwe reject signings?
Both Moxley and Swerve are more than psychologically sound... Also, just because a match has blading, tables and thumbtacks doesn't mean it can not show in-ring psychology or grab fan interest in ways other than doing stupid spots.

Right?

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They tend to do pretty well, numbers-wise, so they keep doing it. You would think it would be a case of diminishing returns, but I guess they're just determined to run it into the ground.

There are exaggerations in your post, of course, but I do agree with your general point. Of course, all things considered, they're doing pretty well, so to say the guy doesn't understand the business is a bit much. They've been going for 3 years now, he's not some greenhorn.
TV ratings aren't doing well. The folk in arena might like it as they are likely at a show for the first time and tapings go on so long a garbage match might break the boredom up a bit. For folk watching on TV it's every single week across both shows no rules garbage matches often on TV. It bores me for sure and must annoy others too.

·
Waiting for Kawato
4,461 Posts
TV ratings aren't doing well. The folk in arena might like it as they are likely at a show for the first time and tapings go on so long a garbage match might break the boredom up a bit. For folk watching on TV it's every single week across both shows no rules garbage matches often on TV. It bores me for sure and must annoy others too.
The TV numbers are doing fine. They're not doing so remarkably, transcendently god damn well that they're growing at an alarming, unprecedented rate, nor are they strong enough to withstand the downward curve that the entirety of TV is on this summer that the WWE has been solely spared from by all of the shit going on there, but they're doing fine.

Rampage's numbers are bad, but you take both the timeslot and the aforementioned downward trend in TV into account and it's hardly anything to get your panties in a twist over. Dynamite is fairly regularly the number 1 show on cable every Wednesday.

Again, it's not every single week across both shows, so I don't know what use there is in continually repeating that. It bores me too, but presumably there is a reason they keep doing it. It may be desperation, but if it wasn't working they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People go through tables every week, there's no rules matches every week or at least the ref doesn't apply the rules, there's chair spots and furniture used every week, theres gimmick matches it seems every week. Last I heard rampage ratings had dropped from 1 millionto about 375,000 a week which is pitiful. Rampage and Dynamite was full of and headlined by garbage matches this week. It might pop a one off crowd but if you watch the product every week its just dull and lazy booking.

·
Big Time Chels #1 Fan
3,855 Posts
Just watched the main events of rampage this week and we have Moxley in his usual no rules fight all round the ring using the ring furniture blading himself match and ending with a run of the mill no rules garbage tag match. Does anyone enjoy this stuff?

Don't get me wrong i enjoyed watching ECW from time to time and occasional Terry funk or cactus jack matches. Public enemy and nasty boys were fun now and then. But when you run this shit every single week it's just gets lame as fuck. They seem to have booked themselves into a corner that they have to try and out do it every single week.

These type matches should only bee seen once every few months and talent should not be allowed to use furniture in between so as to make them a big deal when they do happen. Now we have 120 pound women doing them regularly and it just looks phoney and fake and they are just plain boring now.

AEW really need to employ an experienced booker at this point who understands the business and does not hot shot things every week.
It looks like Tony Khan was playing WWE 2K19 when it came out in 2018 every day on his Xbox while booking Create A Wrestler characters against real talent on a moments notice, then setting it down to play with his action figures a bit and then deciding to open a promotion with his dads money. 95% of the AEW booking makes no sense and feels like a WWE 2K CAW fantasy booker.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It’s beyond overkill at this point. A no rules, no DQ, falls count anywhere, lights out, deathmatch, or bunkhouse match or dumpster match literally every week. It’s WAYYY too much. They brought in the All Atlantic title and the trios title but obviously a hardcore title is needed much more :cautious:.

And of course, 9/10 of them don’t even remotely call for these stipulations.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Inexperienced Booker with a bloated roster.

·
Big Time Chels #1 Fan
3,855 Posts
When Lance Archer was stabbing Cowboy Shithead with the fork during that death match they had that's when the cement really settled in my mind on the fact that AEW is going to keep doing this stupidity. Those 2 guys had zero feud, zero story and no reason for a blow off match of that style. Death match stuff with excessive bleeding, when its done right can be fun once or twice a year with two people in a lengthy, intense, heated and bitter feud as a way to conclude their issues, but the way TK books it is so over the top and so often, and the matches lack quality on all fronts, its really a turn off.

·
Registered
29,232 Posts
AEW does overdo it at times with the gimmick matches. Take last night for example. I thought Lee & Swerve vs. Nese & Woods was a fine little street fight, but it really didn't need to be a street fight. Their feud up to that point was based mostly around a comedy character with Sterling. Putting them in a Street Fight just felt like an excuse to have them crash through tables.

So, I would just say try to only do the gimmick matches when it's appropriate and when the feud calls for it.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AEW does overdo it at times with the gimmick matches. Take last night for example. I thought Lee & Swerve vs. Nese & Woods was a fine little street fight, but it really didn't need to be a street fight. Their feud up to that point was based mostly around a comedy character with Sterling. Putting them in a Street Fight just felt like an excuse to have them crash through tables.

So, I would just say try to only do the gimmick matches when it's appropriate and when the feud calls for it.
They could have had a regular wrestling match and it would have been just fine!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts