Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on Impact they give away better versions of their matches.

Sure the ME wasn't on impact or Flair/Lethal, but they had a BETTER Kendrick/Willaims match than the one on VR and a better MCMG/Beer Money match.

I'm really not sure at all why they gave away the ladder match for free especially. Anyone have an answer for this?

I'm not complaining about the matches being free, but if I dropped $$ on the PPV it would be kinda wack that 4 days later theres 2 better versions on TV. No wonder they do under 10k buyrates.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I still dont understand why last nights show wasnt hyped more with the matches they had. And the decision to put them on free tv as well, not that I'm complaining, but its like a waste of a few extra buys for the PPV.

I dont drop money on TNA PPV's, plain and simple. Most of the time you get a good rematch the next TV taping, and most of the time there are only a couple good matches on the PPV to begin with.

Its just not worth the money when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Uh, the MCMG/Beer Money match at Victory Road was miles better than their match on Impact.

·
GIANTS
2,647 Posts
First people bitch about how Impact only has 15 minutes of wrestling and how they need better matches, then when TNA delivers on that, people still bitch!

Typical IWC thread.....

And as some wrestling experts have said, there is more money for TNA in TV than PPVs. So that is why they put so much effort and good matches on free TV.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen MCMG/Beer Money more than enough times. VR was overrated, I've seen them have better matches than that only dif is the Guns won for once. The ladder match on the other hand was something different for once.

No one is bitching about the wrestling, you clearly missed the point of the post if you think that. I'm just saying it would be pretty lame to have shit you paid for given away free 4 nights later.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Don't act like WWE's ppv are worth buying either. At least TNA has potential to put on sick matches, they always get at least one great match on there PPV cards.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,403 Posts
I thought both Beer/Money matches were around the same quality, the VR match maybe slightly gets the edge but I'd have to watch both again.

The Kendrick/Williams Impact match was indeed better than the PPV match but that doesn't surprise me, the VR match booked more as an angle than an actual match. But to answer the OP's question, TNA right now has to get a bigger TV audience and I can understand why they give away big matches for free on Impact. There's certain ones I didn't like (like Joe/RVD for example) but in large this is a company that's surviving off it's TV market alone. I'll never complain about getting great TV matches cause I think that should be part of your strategy, TNA might just do a little more than necessary at times.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
First people bitch about how Impact only has 15 minutes of wrestling and how they need better matches, then when TNA delivers on that, people still bitch!

Typical IWC thread.....

And as some wrestling experts have said, there is more money for TNA in TV than PPVs. So that is why they put so much effort and good matches on free TV.
If thats the case, then why not hype a show like last night a little more than they did?

I had no idea there was a ladder match, street fight, and an I Quit match all in the show until it started.

·
GIANTS
2,647 Posts
If thats the case, then why not hype a show like last night a little more than they did?

I had no idea there was a ladder match, street fight, and an I Quit match all in the show until it started.
TNA don't advertise enough, and that is the one problem that will sink them into the ground. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that when TNA advertised January 4, they pulled a 1.5 rating. Even Heyman said they need to advertise more and get their brand out into the public's attention.

Instead Jarrett/Dixie just focus on bringing in more big name free agents and hope they draw ratings.

Advertising is key, TNA needs to get that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Typical IWC thread.....

It's starting to get unbearable anymore..

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
S'all about viewing figures nowerdays, not buyrates...and I think TNA's ppv ratings indicate just that.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But to answer the OP's question, TNA right now has to get a bigger TV audience and I can understand why they give away big matches for free on Impact. There's certain ones I didn't like (like Joe/RVD for example) but in large this is a company that's surviving off it's TV market alone. I'll never complain about getting great TV matches cause I think that should be part of your strategy, TNA might just do a little more than necessary at times.
Fair enough I guess.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
With 2 million viewers for TV, and 10'000 PPV buyers, something doesn't add up.

Edit.

Doesn't scale in contrast with the 5-10 million viewers for TV and 200'000 PPV buyers of the other company.

Or does it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You wanna know why we should pay for PPV's? Because TNA management won't care about putting an effort into making their PPV's worth their money until we prove that we can hold up our end of the bargain.

We've been complaining about PPV quality matches on Impact and underwhelming PPV's for a while now. But riddle me this: Why would TNA put money, time, and effort into putting on the best PPV's in wrestling (which they can easily do, given their great roster), when their target audience streams it, therefore negating the profit that TNA can gain from it?

It's been said that TNA's PPV's are like extra-long Impacts. Guess what? It's not just the Impact Zone that makes it seem that way. I'm willing to bet that when it's all said and done, a TNA PPV might as well be an extra Impact special for all the money they make from it.

A smart company casts all their nets where the fish are jumping. Right now, Impact is what TNA needs to focus on, because they have more to gain from focusing on it. If we want better PPV's, we need to prove to TNA that PPV's are a worthy investment, and that means buying them.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why should I hold up my end of the "bargain" when they aren't building their PPV's properly though? I shouldn't reward them with my money for doing a shit job. In fact giving them money for doing a shit job, would just encourage them to continue doing a shit job.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
So...first we need to pay for TNA ppvs, and THEN they need to be good?

That doesn't make sense.

TNA is fully capable of putting on great ppvs (Lockdown '06, Bound for Glory '07, Turning Point '09). The fact that the most of the ppvs of the Hogan/Bischoff era has sucked is just a testament to how big of a failure this venture is.

With that said, I have no problem with TNA putting on rematches the next impact. WWE does it all the time (remember the Orton/HHH Last Man Standing match BEFORE their terrible 2/3 falls match on the ppv?)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
But do you really think that in this digital age, a wrestling company would, or should, focus on PPV's as their main source of revenue? PPV buys have decreased just like CD buys have decreased, because it's far eaisier to go online.

And TNA built Victory Road up very well, might I add.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Why should I hold up my end of the "bargain" when they aren't building their PPV's properly though? I shouldn't reward them with my money for doing a shit job. In fact giving them money for doing a shit job, would just encourage them to continue doing a shit job.
While true, most wrestling fans aren't likely to buy a PPV either way, regardless of how good or bad the product is. TNA's buyrates in 2005 are rumored to have been shitty, but everyone always praises it as the greatest year of the company's history. Hm.

TNA PPV's could be 5-10 dollars, and people would still be mooching off streams, myself admittedly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts