Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If WWE just name them for example 'bare knuckle champion', 'the viper', 'the one man rock band', 'the this and that' if they don't show us why they are exactly that?

90% of the roster give us no reason to care about them since they are all generic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So why do you watch? WWE have been doing the same thing since forever. Hulk Hogan called himself immortal before he proved himself. It's something everyone does, even boxers and MMA guys, it's called a gimmick. It's a way of promoting yourself. How do you have beef with this as a fan?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just saying the superstars should try and show a bit more to get themselves over.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
If WWE just name them for example 'bare knuckle champion', 'the viper', 'the one man rock band', 'the this and that' if they don't show us why they are exactly that?

90% of the roster give us no reason to care about them since they are all generic.
15 years later, I'm still wondering why The Rock is a brahma bull. He is a man, not a rude cow.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Well if you don't know why you should, and you don't, there's really not much point in asking why. You'll know why you should care when you start caring :p

Anyway, I think you're right to an extent. Every single moment a superstar spends on camera should be used to get themselves and their personality across. From the moment your music hits, how you hit the ramp, play to the crowd and hell, even how you stand and set your face. Every minute thing is picked up by the audience and used to make associations to you.
The problem is, a lot of guys simply don't know what or how. Someone like Wade Barrett is at an advantage simply because he's British, but then what? What of that?
Guys like CM Punk are very good at doing this. The way he sits cross-legged in the middle of the ring for example, speaks volumes on its own.

People bicker and argue about ring skills and mic skills and who's better and who's worse, but IMO there is also a lot more to it than just that. The non verbal stuff is just as important, sometimes more (to the guys that get no mic time)

·
Registered
664 Posts
15 years later, I'm still wondering why The Rock is a brahma bull. He is a man, not a rude cow.
it is not the same. the guy is right. if people need interesting things about wrestler to care about them. look at Zack Ryder. the guy got over with almost none exposure on TV. they need to use internet agressively. youtube videos while being in their gimmick, kayfabe use of twitter, etc. that would add a lot of depth to their gimmicks and would make all wrestlers relevant/interesting for all the "WWE universe"(I really hate that term, why not just WWE fans? do they live in an alternate universe or what?).

they talk about Barrett as a "bare knuckle fighter", but I doubt you can find Kimbo Slice type of fights of him on youtube or in any other place. if they were videos on youtube of Barrett fighting bums in a backyard in Manchester, people would go "oh shit this guy is for real", even if the guys guys he was fighting were drunk retards with no skill. then when they said the "bare knuckle fighter" line, Cole would say "yeah, you can watch some pretty nasty Barrett fights on youtube". with that and his mic skills and pretty good ring skills, he would be a star.

I think Daniel Bryan trains sometimes in Xtreme Couture. why not put in youtube some videos of him sparring/rolling/hitting pads/whatever with Randy Couture? that would give him more credibility than the vegan nerd bullshit.

and I won't talk about the "one man rock band" because the all thing is too stupid to make something good with it.

but anyways, you take the point. we know WWE creative isn't creative enough for things like that but if we made a brainstorm of how to make WWE wrestlers more interesting using the internet, we could find something good for each and everyone of them. perhaps we should do it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah Brock Lock is right, that would be a great way to give depth to the characters of the superstars.

I remember reading in another thread, someone suggested that John Morrison should do parkour promos where he shows off and explains some of his training and moves. Since he's supposed to be the 'Prince of Parkour', then why not actually demonstrate that gimmick and use it to build character? Same with loads of other characters.

Does anyone remember Vladimir Kozlov's promos where they showed him doing Russian Sambo training?

·
Escalator Temporarily Stairs
8,793 Posts
I remember reading in another thread, someone suggested that John Morrison should do parkour promos where he shows off and explains some of his training and moves. Since he's supposed to be the 'Prince of Parkour', then why not actually demonstrate that gimmick and use it to build character? Same with loads of other characters.
That'd be me. :)

skyman101 said:
It's not really fair to place the blame on the talent. They're just following orders, for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some cases where Superstars are given an opportunity to make themselves. I would imagine that every once in a while the powers that be want them to show who they are and prove that they deserve attention. If a Superstar fails to take advantage of those opportunities, then it's absolutely their fault if their gimmick falls flat. Besides those times, I think it's the responsibility of Creative to get a gimmick over.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the cooking with the big show thing killed me. I can see him smiling in a foreman grill ad XD

Does anyone remember Vladimir Kozlov's promos where they showed him doing Russian Sambo training?
that's what I'm talking about! I'm going to make a gimmick enhancement thread, so everyone can bring ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts