Wrestling Forum banner

Why Rey Mysterio was the worst world champion ever

6K views 61 replies 45 participants last post by  WilfyDee 
#1 ·
1-Small

*Did i really need to say this?

2-No charisma

*Only got over because of the Underdog thing.

3-No Mic Skill

*Pre puberty boy voice and poor articulated

4-Bland

*What he was albeit a manlet with a mask?.

Rey Mysterio the true definition of Vanilla Mid-get, or should i say Burrito Mid-get?.

#3 ·
What I liked about Rey winning was that (albeit the circumstances) anyone could win the world championship at any given time. Sometimes the underdog can win. All the stuff.

Who's the worst world champion in my opinion?

The Great Khali. Lets be real, at least Rey could wrestle and had decent feuds with JBL and King Booker

#8 ·
I actually like Ray, mainly since his style was different. I get the idea with flyers vs brawlers vs technical vs giants. Same idea in movies and waif fu, if a small opponent can use speed and keep distance they could win. Though waif fu for women more about flexibility I think.

Anyways, being champion, maybe not the highest level belt or for a long time. Though tag teaming with a large wrestler, like say Batista makes an interesting dynamic. That seems more reasonable, the big guy is unstoppable but needs the little guy to cover blind spots, herd/disrupt opponents and shift the match.

Though one way to make the small guy more relevant is to make him the voice/brains of the two.

Just my thought.

#21 ·
I liked Rey as a kid because he was fun to watch. The 619 sucked though and is prob my least fav finisher of all time.

By the time he won the title I wasn't watching much at all. When he won I was disappointed, didn't think he should have won it at fucking WM. But looking back I can at least say he was a good worker that brought stuff to the table. I mean to say he is the worst is a bad statement. The Miz, Sheamus, Del Rio, Khali all were terrible imo. Most of them had done next to nothing but because there weren't many stars they tried to give them all heel characters and give them the title to draw heat. Those were all horrible champions that didn't deserve it. Took a lot of the prestige away from the title. At least Rey had been around and taken his lumps. It's not like he was the star of the show, he was just a transitional champion that was getting rewarded after breaking his back for a decade.

#22 ·
Mysterious with no charisma? :lmao

OP have you ever watched wrestling? He has been getting huge pops since his debut in WWE. Fans were always behind him (well maybe not at the rumble).
One of the greatest wrestlers of all time and his underdog character was always loveable.

#25 ·
Im not a size mark but Rey shudve never been champion..he was a great luchador style wrestler but he sucked on the mic and imo wasnt very charismatic...name a charismatic rey promo for me? I can only think of the eddie rey fued being kind of entertaining and that too because of eddie...his flashy moveset was the reason he was popular especially among the kids..but as a champion I could never believe it

#34 ·
Yeah Khali was shit, but atleast he was big and intimidating, Rey was so fucking small, i coud not take him serious as a champion, even a mid-carder one.
:maury

Gotta be a troll....literally out of the 4 points you brought up the only thing you got right is that Rey is small.

#35 ·
Far from it. Mysterio's initial reign was one of the most high octane reigns I've seen, just the distinctiveness of Rey from most champions before him made every day of the reign highly suspensive with regards to the obvious "how in the hell can he cling on to the championship" feel, and mind you, Rey wasn't just any other cruiserweight competitor in 06, he had established himself fighting much bigger men for years and finding ways to make the offence look highly plausible.

Also, there was nothing in the reign that pushed the realms of credibility, he almost never won a title match fully clean (most times taking help from Chavo, invoking the Eddie mantra "Lie Cheat Steal" whenever he could), taking a heavy beating almost every night, getting squashed sometimes as well ( Vs Khali in his home town) so on and so forth. He was the most "unlikely" champion in WWE history but never the most "unworthy" one.

#36 ·
Well for one Vince McMahon had him book horribly:

"Former WWE writer Alex Greenfield, in a recent interview with Wrestlinginc.com commented on how Mysterio was buried during his first World Heavyweight Title reign:

It was awful. My biggest regret from my time writing and my time as head writer is the way we treated Rey.

Greenfield seemed genuine about how he felt about Rey Mysterio. He went on to comment about the image Vince McMahon had pictured in his own mind on how Rey Mysterio wanted to be booked:

Vince had this image in his head of Rey being a very much, underneath guy. 'Gosh, I'm so lucky to be champion' guy.

He decided that and we -- and I -- tried to do my best to give Vince what he wanted but try to keep it on Rey and I wish I had worked harder on it.

WWE writers do have a lot of say on a specific wrestlers character development, but Vince McMahon is the boss, so obviously what he says goes.

Greenfield spoke about why he thought why the way Mysterio was booked wouldn't work:

I knew at the time that this wasn't going to work. You can't make a champion out of a guy that thinks he's won the lotto and that made Rey so weak.

WWE writers do the best job they can in some cases to get a specific wrestler over with the fans and to book him or her a decent amount of time in the spotlight.

Hopefully current and future WWE writers will take what Greenfield said and remember it when they shape wrestlers story-lines and character development in the WWE."

They should have booked him like Spike Dudley giant killer in ECW and there's been way worse champs Khali, Mark Henry has no charisma. He also got a huge pop the time he won against the Miz and they should of kept it on him for a lil while but no they had to give it back to super cena. For all the hard work he's done its a shame he didn't get a proper farewell match.

#39 ·
I don't like Rey always found him boring in and out of the ring, but he paid his dues and was one of the hardest working guys for all the years he was with the company, he also sold loads of merch and was a top babyface,

To believe he could beat a guy twice his size ? yes it was believable sure he is small and lacks in power.... but when you have a guy jumping off the top rope at least 8 stone it's gonna hurt... if a guy can use your own body weight against you and flip you about it is gonna hurt....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.