Wrestling Forum banner

Why RAW Sucks...

5511 Views 32 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  coleminer1
When I was growing up WWF centered Raw around a match that was either announced earlier that night (which was rare) or booked the previous week. This was during the New Generation Era.
This was when #1 contenders were picked ahead of time. I remember when Hitman vs Diesel at Survivor Series '95 was the title match but the #1 contender (British Bulldog) was already known and repeatedly put over by the commentary team. You knew Bulldog was next it was just a matter of seeing who he would be facing. It told a great story.
But somewhere along the attitude era booking matches for future shows became obsolete or if they are booked ahead of time they are usually ignored until they happen. With that being said this week I've seen 100 commercials promoting that stupid jersey shore bitch and not 1 promoting their US title match, not 1 putting over their WWE champion they are promoting the wrong thing. This is why Raw sucks. Raw is all about guest hosts, long promos, and being in the public eye. Being mainstream is more important that getting your talent over this is why Raw sucks. If this is the "flagship" (which it isn't but WWE doesn't acknowledge it own history) then what goes on on Raw sets the standard for the company. And the standard is Miz is champ but Snooki is gonna bring viewers...to a wrestling show smh
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
791 Posts
It sucks because people just won't move on from the past. Sorry, it's not changing anytime soon. Either you enjoy watching it, or you stop watching it--those are the only two choices. I'm so sick of hearing about the Attitude Era or anytime from the past really. Move on!

[/rant]
whew, I feel better now

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sucks because people just won't move on from the past. Sorry, it's not changing anytime soon. Either you enjoy watching it, or you stop watching it--those are the only two choices. I'm so sick of hearing about the Attitude Era or anytime from the past really. Move on!

[/rant]
whew, I feel better now
I don't expect it to be like any other era but I expect wrestling from a wrestling show and I expect to see wrestlers in the commercials.

· Registered
791 Posts
I'm not saying you specifically, sorry I didn't mean to come off that way. It just really irritates me when people say "Oh, why can't it be like it was in (insert year here)" or "What can WWE do to be like the Attitude Era again?". I agree they do some very questionable things sometimes and could use a few better workers in the ring rather than a gimmick guy like Khali.

More matches usually makes a better show, too. I agree there.

· Registered
6,867 Posts
They've only done the 3 matches a night thing for the past 3 weeks. The majority of last year and the beginning of this year had plenty of great matches that was easily overshadowed by bad promos and booking.

You already have your wrestling aspect; I will even go as far as to say that the current roster has more wrestlers than promo makers than it ever has had in the past ten years.

It's certainly not the PG rating either simply because people think a PG rating = a G rating. PG still allows a lot of liberties. But I think the problem is that the fans of yesteryear still expect the same things to happen the same way and have the same end result. It won't happen that way. Nostalgia trips like that are what TNA is for.

· Registered
561 Posts
there promoting WM and they dont want to have the guys wrestle each other b4 the PPV since this is extra sepcial and they dont want to risk an injury.

Stop complaining..take 1 minute to think about the reasons why there doing this right now and the pros and cons and im sure you will be able to figure it out

· Banned
8,172 Posts
anythin recreated from the attitude era these days would just be considered a cheap rip off like imagine randy orton coming to the ring in a baby oil truck
Randy Orton requires a truckload of baby oil for every appearance he does. The dude is oily enough to slide his entire body head-first into Kelly Kelly's vagina (which isn't hard to do anyways).

· Banned
4,446 Posts
When I was growing up WWF centered Raw around a match that was either announced earlier that night (which was rare) or booked the previous week. This was during the New Generation Era.
This was when #1 contenders were picked ahead of time. I remember when Hitman vs Diesel at Survivor Series '95 was the title match but the #1 contender (British Bulldog) was already known and repeatedly put over by the commentary team. You knew Bulldog was next it was just a matter of seeing who he would be facing. It told a great story.
But somewhere along the attitude era booking matches for future shows became obsolete or if they are booked ahead of time they are usually ignored until they happen. With that being said this week I've seen 100 commercials promoting that stupid jersey shore bitch and not 1 promoting their US title match, not 1 putting over their WWE champion they are promoting the wrong thing. This is why Raw sucks. Raw is all about guest hosts, long promos, and being in the public eye. Being mainstream is more important that getting your talent over this is why Raw sucks. If this is the "flagship" (which it isn't but WWE doesn't acknowledge it own history) then what goes on on Raw sets the standard for the company. And the standard is Miz is champ but Snooki is gonna bring viewers...to a wrestling show smh

WHOA! WHOA! More revised history I see..during the Attitude Era, EVERYTHING was hyped and built up. IC title matches, new guys debuting, tag title feuds, personal grudge matches, upper midcarders..I mean it almost seemed like Rock beat Benoit at Fully Loaded 2000 that Benoit damn near never lost on television for the rest of the year until he faced HHH and Austin during the fall. Every title shot the Rock got was from a #1 contender's match...he didn't just come out and ask for "rematches" like today's faces. It's like night and day compared from then to there. New Generation definitely didn't have that except for the whole Bret Hart is a fighting WWF Champion gimmick that was going on at the time.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
I do agree with the OP on one thing, this whole promoting of guest hosts over everything else on the show kind of blows. I understand why they do it, to bring in ratings of course. But it's still sad and it's a blatant slap in the face to the people who are already true fans. Why do they try so hard to bring in new viewers by promoting things that have NOTHING to do with wrestling? Agggh, it's so frustrating. I just hope Snooki gets booed out of the damn building tonight. Not because I have anything against her, I just hate the whole guest host concept.

· Registered
5,307 Posts
one of the main reasons...
Nice try. Newsflash: it was PG in 97 and most of 1998. Did it suck then?

Nitro was PG in its prime when it almost put WWE out of business.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.