Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Remember that OMG moment when Angle fucking tosses Shane like a rag doll through the KOTR glass, TWICE! There was lots of moments like those on PPVs in the past.

The sheer violence, blood, the bumps, the moments you see only on PPV that was well... what made a PPV exciting.

I get that the TV show is PG, but does that really have to apply to the PPV? Why can't PPVs have violent and brutal matches like these? That's what makes people believe the PPV was memorable. You're NEVER going to interest people by just having two guys square off in a ring. Now more so than ever as pretty much everybody is so desensitized to violence.

It was funny, I had a thread on here a few weeks ago about if sex and violence make wrestling better. The results were pretty much unanimously yes. And then interestingly enough when the NWO did their pannel in the UK, Kevin Nash basically reiterated the same thing that sex and violence makes wrestling interesting.

ANYWAYS,

point being, I get that TV is PG and they can't do much. I just don't see why the PPV shows can't have matches like that to really give people something to talk about.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
They suck because they don't give fans their moneys worth anymore. The do the bare minimum, try to limit injuries, lack surprises, anything with Orton will be bland and boring and then its over and you feel like yo wasted your time watching it for free.

·
Leader of #TeamBAE
1,560 Posts
I always thought it made sense to go all out for feuds that truly call for it. For every Chris Benoit that dies early, there's a Ric Flair that, inexplicably, outlives everybody (Watch him die tonight....). There should be a controlled forum for the discussion of pushing boundaries in feuds/matches that call for it. I'm not a fan of senseless blading, but if Punk wanted to bleed in his match with Lesnar at Summerslam or if Orton wanted to do it in his match with Bryan at HiaC, why stop the superstars? This sounds absurd, I know.

Triple H would bleed in every match on every PPV, and it got to the point that it was so laughable and predictable. Matches that call for it, should have it. The environment is better than it was 10/20/30 years ago.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
They just have shitty creative at the moment. When they actually try they can have a really great PPV I mean 2011 Money In The Bank one of the best B shows of all time and that was in the PG era and why was it good they had a great main event angle going on and then they had really great wrestling on the show. Now WWE is all about this Authority angle and once again the product is about HHH like its 2003 again and I doubt many fans really give a shit at this point.

·
I AM SO KAFKAESQUE
1,782 Posts
I get that the TV show is PG, but why can't PPVs have violent and brutal matches like these?
I don't think you really understand. The WWE product as a whole is PG now. That's not just an arbitrary rating slapped on the show now, it has an influence on everything they do; from marketing to merchandising to their PPV shows, they're PG now.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Seems like they are trying to get more ratings for the show by putting the PPV matches on free TV, and less concerned with the buys. The 6 v 6 match from last week was something that I bet a lot of people would've paid to have seen, likewise they are so obsessed with not letting people surpass John Cena in terms of popularity, the smark fans are starting to revolt by hijacking certain matches on the card (which I think is a good thing).

·
Banned
25,988 Posts
Is it just me, or do half of the PPV matches always get fought again the next night on Raw via rematches?
Nah, you certainly aren't the only one. Alot of people including myself have noticed this. It's pretty stupid and diminishes the ppv they just put on when you don't need to order it and can just tune in to Raw the next night to see most of those matches again, for free.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't think you really understand. The WWE product as a whole is PG now. That's not just an arbitrary rating slapped on the show now, it has an influence on everything they do; from marketing to merchandising to their PPV shows, they're PG now.
I guess that doesn't apply to Total Divas.

With all of the dildos, Nikki Bella perving out, and Cameron talking about how her boyfriend's huge penis hurts when they fuck.

·
Banned
7,451 Posts
We had a whole month of Susan G Koman breast cancer awareness dedication.

That would have been unimaginable 14 years ago, when tits were being flaunted around each night. I was hoping whenever they bring up a breast cancer awarness moment that the old "King" would have uttered the words "puppies", bad sadly no. :(

WWE is never going to change. They are Nintendo, many years after their rival that made them get edgy briefly is long dead (i.e. SEGA / WCW)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anyone who thinks you can't have a good PPV with a PG product never watched wrestling before the attitude era.
Let's not forget that due to popularity of programs such as Raw the ratings were put in place to begin with for confused (?) parents that had no idea what their kids were being exposed to. It was at least risque back then. Sexual innuendo was a huge part of Raw in it's early years. There's nothing like that now. There was a happy medium between now and ECW level adult programming and the WWE doesn't even want to go with a hard rating. It's closer to a G rated product honestly, but can't be due to the inherit violence a 3 year old wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
It has as much to do with them protecting the wrestlers as it does with staying PG. The days of chair shots to the head and the like are over. The product probably won't ever get to that point ever again. You can blame that guy who never existed for that.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The PPV's definatly don't have the big feel they used to, the problem with the weekly television is we have seen pretty much everyone face everyone else, so it's rare a fresh match comes alone to grab out attention, at WM big show and orton were tagging against the shield, now some months later they are fighting each other, plus the amount of orton big show matches(as an example) anything that could be done HAS been done, outside of orton going to big shows kids school and rkoing them before giving them punt kicks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1. There are far too many PPV's right now. At times there seems to be a PPV every other week which seems to force creative to give dull finishes to matches in the name of continuing a rivalry. Example: The recent Bryan vs Orton rivalry.

2. Should be a decent story behind most matches. Outside of the big matches there are undeveloped stories in most of the matches on a PPV card. The Divas match for example sells the lack of cohesion in Aj's team just before the match, rather then have an example earlier in the week. The Diva's match was not for the title and could really have happened on any Raw or Smackdown, as proved on the next night. So why should we care? Creative has to put a good story behind it, more then just these ones are on a tv show and these ones aren't. Langston and Axel has sprung up out of nowhere, they thought for the first time very recently and then we have to buy in to their match on a PPV, which again could have happened on any of the recent shows. More on this in a moment. Rybacks challenges haven't gone on for a long time either. This has been done before very successfully with Kurt Angle and this was because Kurt was allowed to build momentum over a number of shows. Ryback was given one or two nights to build his story and then was squashed abruptly.

3. The titles don't matter anymore. This is kind of continuing from the previous point. In the past PPV's could push two wrestlers out without developing the story much, but do it in the name of competing for a title, usually a midcard one. Back then though the midcard titles mattered, wrestlers sold how much they wanted them in promos, champions weren't squashed every week, and the number one contender usually had to win a few matches or done something of note before getting their shot. This doesn't happen anymore so when you're trying to book Curtis Axel vs Big E Langston at a big PPV it's no surprise that the match isn't a highlight and feels like a filler match. The Divas, Tag Team and US titles were all rested at Survivor Series. The match for the WWE title, seemed to be more focused on other issues. The only match that felt like it might be about the title is Cena vs Del Rio and that was a rehash from of the match from Hell in a cell. This is one of the big four PPVs! Perhaps the one good thing to come out of the unification match is the belts will be the focus, it has to happen consistently for them to mean anything in the long run but perhaps this is the start.

4. WWE isn't giving the fans anything special. The reason the OP is calling for blood, violence and sex is because the OP more then likely has come away from the PPV thinking "well nothing much happened there". The WWE can sell matches without blood, sex and violence but it has to have matches with stand out moments. For me there was one OMG moment at Survivor Series, when Roman Reigns speared Rey Mysterio just as Rey seemed to be going through the old 619 routine. It surprised me and it was awesome. But where was it? right at the beginning of the show. The rest of the card had good matches but nothing with a truly stand out moment. All the results were pretty predictable and some of the finishes were flat. If you want to do such a PPV then yes you need blood, sex and violence to sell it. I can't think of too many other OMG moments in any other PPVs, moments that were unpredictable. The last one perhaps was AJ turning on Cena for Ziggler to win at TLC. Not every match needs one but you need a few of them at the PPV and you need at least one of them to happen in your marquee matches.

5. All the great performers are stuck in the early matches. Best performers of the last year? The Shield, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Cody Rhodes and Antonio Cesero. Last month or so, throw in the Wyatts, Usos and Goldust. Where on the card are they? At the beginning or in the middle. In tag matches. With little or no time to express themselves. No wonder the event seemed boring. Want John Cena or Randy Orton in the main event and not against each other? Then put one of these guys in the match with them, with the same attention to storyline you've given the Big Show and you might make some magic. Is it no surprise that the match featuring just the abilities of two of the more average performers of the last year feels in need of jazzing up with abit of sex and violence?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.