Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing against the late Yokozuna but wouldn't it have drawn more interest if Macho Man had won the Royal Rumble (say he ducks a charge and Yoko eliminates himself) and gone on to face Bret at Wrestlemania? Unless there was some sort of Injury he had nobody knew about. It could've been the next Hogan vs Warrior matchup and we know how good both of them where. Bret was coming into his own and Savage may have lost a step but was still capable of putting on good matches.

Would've made it feel like a bigger matchup than a David vs Goliath setting

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Wasn't this around the period that Vince thought Savage was passed it and wanted use him more as an announcer rather than full time wrestler. I think if this did happen it would be a lot better than what we got with Bret/Yoko in terms of match quality.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I think Vince was trying to move on. He didn't book Hogan in the main event, originally, so maybe he was trying to move away from Savage & Hogan.

Besides Vince wasn't in the habit of doing face vs face matches, even though there was precedent.
Savage was in his "ambassador" role and couldn't be turned heel, Bret was the new main event face and he couldn't turn him either.

I always wondered why he didn't book Hogan vs Yoko from the start. Hogan could have put him over....wait, maybe that's why they didn't do it.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
This was always my dream main event as a kid. Bummer it never happened. They would have put on one of the best WM matches ever. They wrestled on SNME late 1987. I remember it pretty well. I was 6 years old and its on the WWE SNME DVD set that is out. Best match on the set by a mile and thats not just me being a Savage/Bret mark.

·
Registered
21,660 Posts
Vince McMahon was in the middle of pushing Yokozuna as a top guy in the company, so that's why he was put in the main event at Wrestlemania 9 (and 10.) Also at the same time Vince was trying to force Randy Savage into retirement as he was putting the focus on the so called "New Generation" of guys like Bret, Yoko, Razor, HBK etc.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
The greatest Wrestlemania drop off of all time; in 1992 Savage won the WWF Championship against future Hall of Famer Ric Flair. In 1993, he was on the fucking commentary table. For shame!

I recently downloaded every episode of Monday Night Raw from 1993 and have been marvelling at some of the poor booking decisions they made during that year. With the roster they had at the time, Wrestlemania IX had an inexcusably crummy card. Hulk Hogan was booked in a tag team title match? Savage was relegated to commentating? Bret Hart and The Undertaker were both facing people who had been in the company less than six months? Talented guys like Owen Hart, Bam Bam Bigelow and Rick Martel were left off the card altogether. Such a waste of great talent. WWF must've had some real retards writing for them at the time.

In the WWF Championship match, they had a lot of guys to choose from who were better, more over and more credible than Yokozuna. Hulk Hogan had just returned, Randy Savage could still have been a legitimate name in the main event scene, The Undertaker was incredibly popular and Mr. Perfect was white hot following his return / face turn and vanquishing of Ric Flair from the WWF. Any of these guys would have been great contenders for the WWF Championship (and we would have got a far better main event match).

Personally, I'd have gone for Mr. Perfect vs Bret Hart for the WWF title, with Hulk Hogan against The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels against Randy Savage for the IC title. Failing that, Bret vs Hogan, Savage vs Undertaker and Mr. Perfect vs Shawn Michaels would have been just as good.

Vince McMahon was in the middle of pushing Yokozuna as a top guy in the company, so that's why he was put in the main event at Wrestlemania 9 (and 10.) Also at the same time Vince was trying to force Randy Savage into retirement as he was putting the focus on the so called "New Generation" of guys like Bret, Yoko, Razor, HBK etc.
I always surprised that we never got a New Generation vs Old Generation type deal in 1993/94; the New Generation guys like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon would have benefited massively from feuds with Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Warrior, Roddy Piper etc. Summerslam 1993 could have been an old vs new style event.

·
BLACK MARKET SMILIES
5,432 Posts
Yeah, I pretty much concur with this. Vince was attempting to establish Yoko as a mega heel during the time, possibly as a way to massively put over a future rising babyface. As it worked out, Yoko returned the favour to bret at Mania X after receiving a very brief rub at Mania IX...

The only reason that Yoko didn't leave Mania IX as WWF champion was because of Hogan's politicking, he raised the point that "the fans won't like it if we end the show with a heel winning, brother!". Hogan obviously couldn't care less about the fans and was doing this in an attempt to maneuver himself into the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
WWF must've had some real retards writing for them at the time.
Just Vince and Pat I think. They were stuck in the 80's: monster heel vs heroic babyface. In their minds, Yokozuna was following on from Andre, Bundy and Studd. They felt that's what sold.

I guess match quality wasn't really a big thing to Vince then too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.