Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of all the guys that WWE could have pushed, they choose The Miz. I know he's a hard worker outside the ring and all, but he has some severe flaws in the ring and IMO, doesn't have what it takes to be the face of the company. While I did enjoy him during his teaming with Morrison, I've grown pretty sour on him ever since Wrestlemania or so. This guy had the opportunity of a lifetime, to be in the main event of Wrestlemania and he blew it. It was probably the single worst Wrestlemania main event of all time and I'm not holding him entirely responsible as John Cena is just as bad but come on, how many guys would kill for that spot? They should have stole the show.

Another thing is, everybody on the internet hates the "Sports Entertainer" non-wrestler types, so why is this guy so popular? Yeah he improved, but he's still not a real wrestler in my eyes. He's more character driven, and that's fine and everything. Plenty of guys were character driven -- The Rock mainly. The difference is, The Rock could back it up in the ring. Sure he wasn't the best wrestler on the roster but he could get it done. He could put on one hell of a main event and The Miz has yet to do that. Can you guys think of one TRULY great match The Miz has ever had? And I'm not talking about that match from earlier this year with Morrison where it was clearly Morrison doing all the work. I remember watching that match and thinking "This is Morrison doing spot after spot" and it's true.

The Miz lacks severely in the ring and IMO, his flaws outweigh his strong-points. Thoughts?

·
Asuka
96,211 Posts
Their reasons are obvious, his hard work, his marketability potential, etc. Regardless, they chose wisely for once and went against their recent boner for people who can wrestle. Ring work should not dictate pushes. This is not the Olympics, this is a television show. This is why WWE is dying (well, not dying, but severely decreasing in popularity), there are no people that know how to entertain anymore except for a select few, it's all purely competition based bullshit. People don't want to watch that.

·
Really too good to wrestle in front of all you pri
1,660 Posts
He's got passion for the business, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for most of WWE's roster.

I agree though, I don't see him as someone who can carry the company. I'll never forget that hat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Out of all the guys that WWE could have pushed, they choose The Miz. I know he's a hard worker outside the ring and all, but he has some severe flaws in the ring and IMO, doesn't have what it takes to be the face of the company. While I did enjoy him during his teaming with Morrison, I've grown pretty sour on him ever since Wrestlemania or so. This guy had the opportunity of a lifetime, to be in the main event of Wrestlemania and he blew it. It was probably the single worst Wrestlemania main event of all time and I'm not holding him entirely responsible as John Cena is just as bad but come on, how many guys would kill for that spot? They should have stole the show.
Having him face Cena at the WM Main Event was a bad idea. Agreed. But it was not his fault.

Another thing is, everybody on the internet hates the "Sports Entertainer" non-wrestler types, so why is this guy so popular?
Claiming "everybody on the internet [thinks x, y, and z]" is ridiculous. The internet was created so people could disagree (and for tits and trolling).

The Miz lacks severely in the ring and IMO, his flaws outweigh his strong-points. Thoughts?
He has improved greatly, as you mentioned. Many people were hard on him within the IWC, at first; but the guy has surprised most. I don't consider myself a Miz "mark", but I do like the guy. I think his mic skills are fine, and his in-ring work is perfectly acceptable. He's added some moves that are pretty cool and that are uniquely his within the WWE. Plus, he plays a good "douche bag" role (unlike Cena who is not trying to play a douche, but always comes across as one).

He is certainly more "character-driven", but there's nothing wrong with that. He has a good thing going with R-Truth right now (for the most part) and, regardless, he's still better than Cena.

·
Registered
826 Posts
WWE have always driven their product to be a more entertainment company. Yes, the WWE is still driven by wrestling, but they continue to push the word entertainment in order to gain a relationship with pop culture. Lets face it, Vince would rather push a John Cena than a Yoshi Tatsu, (I am not saying Cena is a bad wrestler btw.)Why's that? Because John Cena has a higher entertainment value in the fact he can get fans hooked on anything he says, whether it's a good or bad reaction. This is why The Miz has been pushed. He has the "it" factor, and he is a dedicated athlete. He has improved in the ring immensely, he's over with the fans and he is dedicated to the product he loves. He is able to make a connection with the crowd, thus having the "it" factor. Yes, he's not the best in the ring, but he has improved immensely. Give him a chance, his career has only really just begun

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Their reasons are obvious, his hard work, his marketability potential, etc. Regardless, they chose wisely for once and went against their recent boner for people who can wrestle. Ring work should not dictate pushes. This is not the Olympics, this is a television show. This is why WWE is dying (well, not dying, but severely decreasing in popularity), there are no people that know how to entertain anymore except for a select few, it's all purely competition based bullshit. People don't want to watch that.
What are you talking about? WWE never push the entertaining ones. John Cena isn't entertaining. Randy Orton isn't entertaining. Yet they're both at the top and the "wrestler" types aren't. If they based it more around competition and gave their titles more prestige, WWE would increase in popularity.

UFC is blowing up. People want competition, not fake acting bullshit. If they did their matches more like they do in Japan, WWE would be taken a lot more seriously in terms of performance. Most people rag on WWE and say "Oh he didn't really hit him! The canvas is made of sponge!" etc etc. If they stiffed it up every now and again and maybe brought blood and swearing back, it would increase in popularity. Gauranteed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I didn't get to see Wrestlemania so I can't argue with you there. But I disagree with your concluding statement.

For me, the characters and the story are a little more important than the actual wrestling. I say a little, because without the wrestling I wouldn't be watching it. The acting and writing are simply not good enough to stand on their own. So please don't think I'm disregarding the importance of the wrestling.

Miz's in ring skill, for me, is enough to that I can be a fan of his for the strengths he possesses. I assume from your post that I don't have to go into his strengths.

I can sit through spot fests and be wowed and on the edge of my seat with awe. I guess I will always be a casual fan under the surface, no matter how much I get to know and appreciate about the business. What matters to me is the characters and the story. Selling too, obviously. Not just selling injuries, but selling other things, like your spite for the opponent you've just dropped your elbow on, you know, stuff like that.

A great example, just last PPV.

Now I love the WWE championship, I don't care who's got it, I will always respect what it represents. But at NoC, I thoroughly enjoyed the HHH vs CM Punk match, faaar more than the Cena/Del Rio match. I enjoyed the Henry/Orton match faaar more than Cena/Del Rio too. Why? Definately not because of the wrestling. It was because of the stories and presentation of the characters in those stories. The entertainment, for me, always lies in the characters and the story, no matter what medium of entertainment it may be.

So yeah, that's where I'm coming from when I say, "The Miz is AAAWWWEEEESOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEE!!!!"

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What are you talking about? WWE never push the entertaining ones. John Cena isn't entertaining. Randy Orton isn't entertaining. Yet they're both at the top and the "wrestler" types aren't. If they based it more around competition and gave their titles more prestige, WWE would increase in popularity.

UFC is blowing up. People want competition, not fake acting bullshit. If they did their matches more like they do in Japan, WWE would be taken a lot more seriously in terms of performance. Most people rag on WWE and say "Oh he didn't really hit him! The canvas is made of sponge!" etc etc. If they stiffed it up every now and again and maybe brought blood and swearing back, it would increase in popularity. Gauranteed.
That's your opinion. Other people believe their entertaining and I am one of them. Has far has the wrestler types go Orton is great wrestler and Cena is pretty good. It's called Sports Entertainment. Vince is going to push entertaining guys like Miz, Truth etc.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
miz's negative do not outweight his positives

miz has a good look
great heel
extremely over
has his own catchphrases lol
cuts good promos
good character

·
Registered
826 Posts

Well, if they aren't entertaining, why did are they continued to be pushed as the poster boys? Why are they the biggest draws in the WWE? John Cena and Randy Orton are entertaining. Sure, their characters are a bit stale, but it still works, or they wouldn't be making the huge amount of money they are for the WWE at the moment.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
You know how careers work right? You said it in your second sentence, "he works hard."

You don't go into work and sit around all day, doing shit all and expect to get a promotion. If you want that promotion, you bust your ass off day in and day out to get there. That's what The Miz has done because he wants it. That's what John Cena, Eddie Guerrero, Benoit etc. had done. I'm not calling the wrestlers lazy because that would be totally disrespectful. I'm just saying some wrestlers go one step further to reach there goal. As a fan, I don't want to be blown off by a wrestler because he wants to play his playstation and I'm sure you'd all not want the same thing.

They should have stolen the show at WrestleMania, yes. That match was just weird. If you look back, Cena looks totally distant during the match. Its like he's seen a ghost or something. Then Miz got knocked out on the conrete. So we've got someone concussed and someone who looks like he doesn't want to be there. Bound to be fucked up. I remember people on this forum saying, "Cena sandbagged The Miz because he was going to lose." Which was pretty funny because of how childish that sounds.

But sadly, I cannot think of a truly outstanding match The Miz has been in. lulz. I think they fucked up his title run with The King/Michael Cole and The Rock.

WWE probably just wanted to try something different and seen if it worked or not. I wouldn't call his run a complete failure though. It was cool to see Cena lose at WrestleMania even though everyone said he'd win. And then the pay off after that was alright. But yeah, Miz and R-Truth now are great. The Miz will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You know how careers work right? You said it in your second sentence, "he works hard."

You don't go into work and sit around all day, doing shit all and expect to get a promotion. If you want that promotion, you bust your ass off day in and day out to get there. That's what The Miz has done because he wants it. That's what John Cena, Eddie Guerrero, Benoit etc. had done. I'm not calling the wrestlers lazy because that would be totally disrespectful. I'm just saying some wrestlers go one step further to reach there goal. As a fan, I don't want to be blown off by a wrestler because he wants to play his playstation and I'm sure you'd all not want the same thing.

They should have stolen the show at WrestleMania, yes. That match was just weird. If you look back, Cena looks totally distant during the match. Its like he's seen a ghost or something. Then Miz got knocked out on the conrete. So we've got someone concussed and someone who looks like he doesn't want to be there. Bound to be fucked up. I remember people on this forum saying, "Cena sandbagged The Miz because he was going to lose." Which was pretty funny because of how childish that sounds.

But sadly, I cannot think of a truly outstanding match The Miz has been in. lulz. I think they fucked up his title run with The King/Michael Cole and The Rock.

WWE probably just wanted to try something different and seen if it worked or not. I wouldn't call his run a complete failure though. It was cool to see Cena lose at WrestleMania even though everyone said he'd win. And then the pay off after that was alright. But yeah, Miz and R-Truth now are great. The Miz will be around for a long time.

I can think of a few;

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan @ NoC was amazing.
The Miz vs. Randy Orton @ TLC was very well driven
The Miz vs. John Cena vs. John Morrison @ Extreme Rules was also excellent
The Miz vs. Kofi Kingston @ Breaking Point
Hell, even The Miz vs. Alex Riley @ CP was good, cause it was so story driven.

The Miz has had good matches and he continues to prove himself

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Who should they have given the push to instead?

I think that's the problem with some of the criticism leveled at guys like Miz, Punk and Del Rio. Ok, you don't like them. Now what? You can't push nobody (Well, ok you can, just look at Smackdown, but I wouldn't say it's working), so who are you pushing? Or is the solution just to have Cena and Orton kill the entire roster in perpetuity?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I really thought we had moved past this Miz hatred. I really had.
It's the IWC my friend, they'll find the smallest things to create unnecessary chaos and hate.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts