Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 was a pretty bullshit year for WWF. Despite having legendary performers on the roster (Bret Hart, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, British Bulldog, Lex Luger, Owen Hart) they seemed incapable of producing quality programming. They made a lot of mistakes that year (the 35 minute Royal Rumble match, the entire Wrestlemania 11 card, Diesel's boring championship reign) but - by far - the shittest part of the year was Mabel winning the King Of The Ring tournament.

Does anybody know why Mabel (of all people) won the King of the Ring instead of far better (and more deserving) performers like Shawn Michaels, British Bulldog, Bam Bam Bigelow, Razor Ramon, Undertaker etc. It always seemed like an odd decision. It also made the worst Summerslam main event I've ever seen - Diesel vs Mabel. What did WWF see in Mabel?

Reactions: Gaston

·
FAKE HAPPY
Born to lose, live to win
12,733 Posts
It was a big mistake. Like they wanted to make something, out of nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I guess it was just part of Vince's love for the huge guys back than, it wouldn't be the only time he pushed an undeserving super heavyweight which got him nowhere.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It's called Tryin too create NEW stars...Something WWE gets lambasted for now a days!

Reactions: egnuldt

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's called Tryin too create NEW stars...Something WWE gets lambasted for now a days!
I understand that they wanted to create a 'new star' but, what I'll never understand, is why did they choose Mabel?

On the roster at the time they had some really talented guys who, with just a little push like the KOTR'95, could've been really big: Hakushi was really talented and had a brilliant look; Bam Bam Bigelow was flirting with the main event and a KOTR win could have propelled him into the top tier; Razor Ramon was hugely popular and, with a win like this, could have been a brilliant main event staple. There were countless more talented people than Mabel.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I cant recall ALL they storys from back tho (tho i did watch it live on Sky and i was like 12) but id imagine it was a swerve!Werent Men On a Mission very over prior too this?

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Yeah, Mabel winning the KOTR was a questionable move. I wonder if Mabel was a last minute win as Razor Ramon had a rib injury at the time and could have been a believable King.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
It was because there wasn't many heels in WWE really in 1995 once Shawn Michaels turned face and WWE wanted to build some new ones although in hindsight King Mabel wasn't and was never going to be the way forward. Look at the roster back then and you can see WWE had Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Diesel and Razor Ramon all as faces whilst the only heels were Sid Vicious whilst he was around, Owen Hart, Yokozuna, Tatanka and IRS.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
95 was a year where all the money that could be made for Vince was in face vs face matches. The Fed had no credible heel characters at all so there's no surprising he scraped the bottom of the barrel for Mabel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vince was thinking that he needed a large challenger because the champion himself was large besides Diesel had beaten Bulldog, Owen, and Jarrett in matches on Raw so he had limited his pool to work with.

In my mind Mabel never generated enough heat to ever main event anything or even be considered a main event player (and I believe that continues even to him pushing this guy in the 2000s). He must have been just one of Vince's guys.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
They were short on heels. Not sure why didn't push Jeff Jarrett. Now I always saw Jarrett a midcard guy but given the state of the roster, he wouldve been a better choice than Mabel.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was because there wasn't many heels in WWE really in 1995 once Shawn Michaels turned face and WWE wanted to build some new ones although in hindsight King Mabel wasn't and was never going to be the way forward. Look at the roster back then and you can see WWE had Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Diesel and Razor Ramon all as faces whilst the only heels were Sid Vicious whilst he was around, Owen Hart, Yokozuna, Tatanka and IRS.
Rather than trying to elevate a completely useless nobody like Mabel, they should've turned Razor Ramon into a heel again. Or, Bam Bam Bigelow - he was convincing, talented and was a really strong heel.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think Vince was trying to create another King Kong Bundy in Mabel. Can't blame him for trying. Not every move is a winner.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Diesel was the champion and Vince wanted a big guy as a believable threat.

Yeah, Mabel winning the KOTR was a questionable move. I wonder if Mabel was a last minute win as Razor Ramon had a rib injury at the time and could have been a believable King.
The plan from what I understand was for Mabel to get one of the greatest rubs in WWF history by defeating three of their biggest stars in one night: Undertaker, Michaels, and Ramon so unfortunately, The Bad Guy would've been jobbed out in the finals again.

- Vic

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suppose Mabel was Vince's choice as a MONSTER heel after Yokozuna and before Vader. It just didn't work out, sadly Vader's WWE run didn't work out either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi sorry

I actually register as i have been watching 1998 wwe Raw i love classic stuff anyway my question

i understand all those above as to why the hell he was pushed

my question why after the push was he eventually fired?

and why did he then come back for 1 night only in 98 on shamrock? he makes a random come back looking huge does a MASSIVE 1 min job to shamrock and then is gone for another half a year.

why did they get rid bring him back and get rid? im very curious?

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
His push really shows how out of touch Vince was at that point. He wanted to recreate a big monster heel like Yokozuna and King Kong Bundy, but the fans were sick of it. Not to mention Diesel was drawing really badly as the WWF Champ and was obviously a very limited worker so this was destined to fail. They should have done HBK as the KOTR winner and then Diesel/HBK resulting in an HBK win. Or turn Ramon, I don't care. Anything would have been better than this.

·
Banned
503 Posts
As people have said, there were too many faces in that time. Stupid booking, if you're asking me.

As for Mabel, well, they needed someone to make it look like Diesel is going to lose. That's why Nash sucked as a champion. He can't be the underdog. He's Kevin Freakin' Nash! A heel run with the belt would've worked.

Also, Mabel said that he knew in January that he will be the king.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts