Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a thread directed at how over Nash really was in his cut short most recent reign in WWE. This is more of a thread to prove to people on not only how Nash was extremely over in 2011 but why he could of been a nice addition to the roster. Nash gets a lot of hate on here for some of his past history involving politics and mostly due to the fact that his in ring skills were never that impressive. In ring skills are not the be all end all and people need to give a guy a break just slightly when he's 6"11 300 lbs. There's not many guys his size that can actually work well in the ring but there's also not many guys his size who have the charisma and presence he has as well. Nash in his prime was a HUGE fucking draw and was probally the fifth or sixth biggest draw in the biggest Wrestling boom in the history of Wrestling. Nash failing to draw in 1995 is what people always bring up but nothing at the time was really working for WWE and it's very unreasonable to put the blame on Nash.

Nash proved he has drawing power, proved he has charisma, and proved he can have a GREAT connection with the live audience despite lacking in ring skills. He proved this in WCW when he was a huge success of one of if not THE biggest angle in the history of Wrestlin NWO. Hogan was the main attraction of NWO but I find a really hard time believing NWO would have been as succesfull as they were without Kevin and Scott's presence. Nash and Hall were the definition of cool and defined the NWO and actually defined the whole entire era. People saw Wrestling in a completely different light during the mid to late 90's because of realism and because of cool personalitys such as Hall and Nash. Hogan's heel turn is what sucked everybody in and Hogan's promos is what kept everybody paying but Nash and Hall were the ones that gave NWO that outsiders perspective. I look back at Nash and Hall's entrances back in WCW and the crowd was on there feet rocking the hell out of the arena everytime they saw Hall and Nash even without Hogan or anybody else.

Now, that's just explaining his drawing power and why it irrates me when people say Nash wasn't a star. After WCW got bought eventually a lot happened and I'm not going to go through Nash's entire career but he basically bounced around from back to WWE and onto TNA. He suffered many injuries within that time period but he's currently 52 years old and was still working on the fulltime roster for TNA about a year and a half ago. Nobody lasts this long in the Wrestling business without being tough as nails. Nash is very tough not only physically but mentally as well. I don't understand why people make all these 'Nash just blew his quad' jokes (which is probally coming in this thread) when he is 6"11 300 lbs and still outlasted most guys and extending his career.

After explaining some of my thoughts on the brief history of Nash and why he SHOULD be appreciated. Let's move on to his recent work with WWE and why I believe it would have successfully benefitted the company. I believe Nash has always been known for his terrific mind for the business and even went as far as using that to only benefit the man he sees in the mirrow. That wouldn't really be the case if he worked the company today because a) it's WWE and not WCW and it's also not the 90's. b) He's 52 years old now and isn't looking to book himself in any main events anytime soon. It's pretty obvious that the guy just loves the business and wants to be apart of it. He was publicility willing to put over CM Punk and I'm sure he wouldn't have any issues with putting over a lot of the young talent on the roster.

How would this benefit the young roster? Well Nash was still more over than 3\4 of the roster in 2011 and feuding with him would be a nice little evaluation for a guy like CM punk or even further down the card. If booked correctly, Nash still has the size and power to come off as a crushing heel. I'm not saying I would want Nash to crush the guys who we think is the future of the company. I'm saying he should go out and just crush jobbers like Ryback. He could be John Laurinaitis's bodyguard and get Johnny even more over as a heel. Which would eventually lead to giving some babyface a huge rub. I'm not saying I would be a 100% supporter of a Nash\Punk feud that was supposedly going to happen but I do think it could have been more successful than a lot of people thought. Just a short term little feud with Punk before working with Jericho would have perhaps done much more than having an unmemorable feud with ADR (who I'm a fan of) and Miz (who I also am a fan) but the problem was there wasn't any connection with the crowd. Nash would of gave the audience the type of connection that he needed when his momentum was slowly but surely falling after the worked shoot promo. That would have been the absolute best case scenario for Nash and not something I actually would be a huge supporter of or think would be in the best interest of Nash or WWE.

I do think that Nash would have been a much better option than Lord Tensai. Lord Tensai has that role of the big bad heel former employee (EVEN NEW CHARACTER) that Nash was going to have before things didn't work out. It was even reported that Lord Tensia is going to eventually become John Laurinaitis's bodyguard in which would be the perfect role for Nash. The thing most people complained about with Nash is his in ring work but they need to take a little bit of a closer look at Lord Tensai and honestly tell me how much he actually has improved since the last time we saw his fatass. He was god awful in the ring with who many call one of the top workers in John Cena. That is totally inexcuseable and makes Lord Tensia not really having any advantage over what Nash could have done. Nash actually pulled off a reasonably solid match with HHH at TLC.

I'm not saying Nash was anything special in the ring (not even close) but neither is Lord Tensia from what I've seen. Nash wouldn't even really have to be anything special if he was just squashing jobbers anyway. Nash has the Wrestling background that Lord Tensai doesn't have. Tensai worked with the company but that's about as far as I'll go. Nash was a STAR when he worked for the company and that's why he got huge pops in 2011 while all Lord Tensai can get is 'Albert chants' for a few minutes before the crowd completely DIES. Nash also can handle backstage segments and promos much better than Lord Tensia as he's always had much more charisma and personality than Albert could even dream of. Let me make my final point instead of telling you...SHOWING you that pops that Nash got even in 2011.

I'm not sure if Kevin's claim of 'biggest pop of the night' here is correct or not but it's definitely a HUGE pop compared to the averge guy on the roster.

'Diesel, Diesel, Diesel chants at about the .55 second mark. He not only received a pretty good reaction here but also cut a damn solid promo. This promo told a nice story that could have been great if everything came together. Nash had great delivery here as he was intense when he needed to be.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think that Nash would be a great addition in a non-wrestling role. He has great charisma on the mic and has a good mind for the business. He would be great as a manager or mentor for younger guys. Maybe they could even bring him back as an on-screen authority figure. He can't go like he used to and he is almost 53 years old and big men don't generally hold up as well as they age. There are enough guys that are still around the business that are well past their primes and IMO it is just sad to watch them in the ring.

Tensai... Oh Tensai... I don't see the fans getting past the fact that he is Albert or once was Albert. He's nothing special in the ring and I can't see him getting over with this gimmick. I agree Nash would be a better option because he actually has fans and I'm not sure if Tensai/Albert does. But I wouldn't mind seeing them push someone else in Tensai's place.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
He would of suited "The Bodyguard" role much better than Tensai IMO, and has as proven a decent reaction. I'm not sure why but i just can't take Tensai seriously. :p

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
thats as far nash can go. hes reached his potential and it wasnt working form him in 11. whereas tensai isnt really a superstar yet but can still be made into one. and for the smarks well f**em. dont remember umaga getting this sh*t. the point of tensai push is not to make him him a superstar but to elevate other superstars if he makes it big.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Nash cant go anymore. His match with HHH clearly showed that. So a bodyguard that cant wrestle.... Not gonna work. I like Nash, and some manager role would be good, but not a bodyguard or a wrestler.

·
Registered
140 Posts
thats as far nash can go. hes reached his potential and it wasnt working form him in 11. whereas tensai isnt really a superstar yet but can still be made into one. and for the smarks well f**em. dont remember umaga getting this sh*t. the point of tensai push is not to make him him a superstar but to elevate other superstars if he makes it big.
Good take DDP, good take. I think part of the issue is that Tensai is a white guy with a Japanese gimmick. Umaga wasn't a white guy that came back with a Samoan monster heel gimmick. WWE is trying to get over with the crowd that he was a former WWE superstar who went to Japan and immersed himself in their culture. They need to emphasize this further during his matches. Maybe they can do a taped interview with him explaining this. I think that might help get this over. Video of him destroying guys in Japan might help too.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
Nash is better off in a non wrestling role. Maybe as Johnny's bodyguard and "muscle".

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like this bodyguard idea. Sort of a throwback to when HBK originally brought him in back in 93. A good way to bring the guy full circle.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Kevin Nash can barely walk, never mind have a run. Matt Bloom is a much better choice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
lolz Nash can't go anymore man ! just too old and battered triple barely carried him to a decent match at tlc in 2011 ! the same golder triple H that went life and death in back to back classics with taker

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I'd like Nash in a backstage or managerial role but the guy's 53 now, his wrestling days are behind him.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Fuck Kevin Nash wrestling these days. The guy got boring just after a few weeks and his match with HHH sucked. I don't know why anyone wants to see him on TV again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Kevin Nash is one of the smartest guys in wrestling. They should bring him in behind the scenes because he gets what it takes to make people stars. as long as he's not active he'd be a great agent as well as advising on the creative side

1 - 15 of 15 Posts