Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys im asking this question because those days i use to watch WCW only not WWF. After winning the title on PPV why he lost it on the very next day ??? Why WWF didnt gave KANE the PROPER CHANCE as a champ. No doubt AUSTIN Was popular at that time but atleast they should have given some time to KANE to see how it goes. I remember KANE was a big monster at that time gimmick wise and everyone was afraid of him.

Why would you let the guy win on the PPV and let him lose the very next day to the same guy who was champ previous night

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I never understood that match
how could kane ever lose that first blood match when he had a full body suit and mask on?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the kane/austin match was actually a way to further the austin/undertaker feud. kane only won the match because of the help of the undertaker. kane clearly had the ultimate advantage in that match because he was covered up and it would have been very difficult to make him bleed, but the idea behind the match was to stack the deck against austin. the next night, austin challenge kane..he accepted. stunner and it was over. the title really had no story behind it being on kane at the time other than to advance the austin taker feud.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I never understood that match
how could kane ever lose that first blood match when he had a full body suit and mask on?
That was the point. Vince wanted to make sure Austin loses his belt, kayfabe wise.
You know, one legged man in the ass kicking contest.

other than to advance the austin taker feud.
And probably to boost some ratings for RAW, which was badly needed in 1998.
Kane accepted the re-match at the very beginning of the show I believe.

·
Lynskey Lover
774 Posts
The stip of the HIAC match was that you were either going to see a new Champion in Kane, or Kane would set himself on fire.
It was a ploy for buys.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The stip of the HIAC match was that you were either going to see a new Champion in Kane, or Kane would set himself on fire.
It was a ploy for buys.
Yay I get to be pedantic for once - t'was not a HIAC match. Bearer just lowered it with an evil laugh.

"YEEESSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Gold.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
Somebody asked this before.

The Kane one day reign was just a part of a storyline that showed that Evil Vince COULD get one over on Austin. The rematch on RAW the next night gave fans a blast to see Austin win it back and showed that Vince couldn't control Kane.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
It was the Attitude Era, hardly anyone ever got a "proper title reign."

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
They did it so they could have a rematch on Raw the next night. They wanted to win the ratings battle.
I've never really thought about it before but...probably this. At the time WWE were desperate to beat WCW in the ratings and vice-versa, so this was a great little ploy to draw a big rating for that show.

Looking at the ratings now it worked too, the week before Raw drew a 4.3 with Nitro drawing a 4.1. The next week (when Austin beat Kane for the title) Raw drew a 5.4 with Nitro again drawing a 4.1, so as you can see it didn't do anything to harm Nitro's number but it did get an extra 1.1 from the casual audience tuning in.

However WCW struck back the next week by having Goldberg beat Hogan for the title live on Nitro, boosting Nitro up to a 4.8 and Raw dropped back down to a 4.0. What's interesting here is that Goldberg beating Hogan for the title (arguably being the most memorable match in the Monday Night Wars) only pulled in an extra .7 for Nitro from the previous week (4.1 to 4.8), where as i stated before Austin's win over Kane was a 1.1 ratings boost drawing a 5.4 and bigger than the Hulk-Golberg match.

·
I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
767 Posts
Because Austin was the man at the time.

I remember always dislking Austin when I was younger when it came to him and Kane.

Once for making him lose the title so fast and the other time for making Kane lose the Royal Rumble when he was so close to winning.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The original plan was to have Kane somehow bleed first and lose the match. But The Undertaker accidentally hit Austin too hard with the chair, he busted him open, and the ref had no choice but to stop the match and declare Kane the title. The WWE quickly realized their mistake, and had Austin win it back the next night on RAW.

·
Fear Me!
3,444 Posts
I remember wanting Kane to lose just so I could see him set himself on fire. Despite Kane wearing the full body suit and the mask, Austin could have still made him bleed from the top of Kane's head.

Actually, even if Kane had lost at the King Of The Ring, something would have happened that would have resulted in Kane not setting himself on fire. Probably the Undertaker would have came out and demanded a rematch for Kane against Austin at the next PPV, whatever the hell that was called.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Yeah you can pretty much be assured that Kane wouldn't have set himself on fire even with a big loss that night, it was just a selling point to the match

1 - 18 of 18 Posts