Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking back at his career i can't think of anyone who had more title reigns than him.
Not to mention he had the look, could talk on the mic and was solid in the ring.

He accomplished more in his career than anyone else i can think of, so why doesn't his name come up more in the GOAT discussion?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
He is one of the greatest but it's just that are a lot more guys who are just greater than he is and more worthy of the GOAT title.

Reactions: CruzControl

·
Premium Member
13,340 Posts
He will be eventually , give it time... looking back the 2000-2009 decade, he is a top 5 guy along with Cena, Angle, Triple H, and AJ Styles. ( I'd put him #2 behind Angle)
-All the title he could have won, he won them...
-Great heel runs
-Many shocking moments
-Many classic matches( he has the most ****1/2+ matches from that decade alongside Angle and Benoit)
-He basically proved he could carry a show, he carried SD for idk how many years, people act if he wasn't " worthy enough" of being on RAW, I think he was there on SD to carry the show,they needed someone that could do it,he was the reason to watch, look what happened to SD after he retired..

Plus, I love the fact how he earned his way to the top, he worked hard for many years, he didn't have everything handed to him because he knew guys "backstage"..

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Edge was a great talent, no doubt about it but goat, no.

Edge was a great heel, his act with lita was super hot. I was never big on his partnership with Vickie. One thing that maybe hurts him is for a long time he was on smack down. He did some great stuff but smack down isn't as widely watched is raw so a large portion of that audience missed out on some of edge's greatness those years.

It's similar to punk, the straight edge society was easily the hottest thing in wwe period. But it was limited by being on the b show.

And how cena eclipsed Batista when they switched shows, despite the fact at that time, Batista was a hotter act.

·
Registered
835 Posts
He is one of my favourites but he isn't classed as GOAT os one of them because...

- a lot of his reigns were forgettable and very short
- he was around when cena,trips,shawn,taker were still doing their thfing and couldn't really stand out as much as those guys.
-he was never a big draw. That doesn't matter to me and I hate when people define someone based on whether they could sell tickets or not but its a fact that when you list austin,hogan, rock even cena etc.. A lot of people were there see them. With Edge it seems like the fans paid to see the show and edge was a nice bonus.

That's just my opinion

·
Registered
356 Posts
He is one of my favourites but he isn't classed as GOAT os one of them because...

- a lot of his reigns were forgettable and very short
- he was around when cena,trips,shawn,taker were still doing their thfing and couldn't really stand out as much as those guys.
-he was never a big draw. That doesn't matter to me and I hate when people define someone based on whether they could sell tickets or not but its a fact that when you list austin,hogan, rock even cena etc.. A lot of people were there see them. With Edge it seems like the fans paid to see the show and edge was a nice bonus.

That's just my opinion
I use it more as an indicator of someone's accomplishments in the kayfabe "sport" it still matters for something in these discussions because it's an objective point compared to "O well I enjoyed his in ring work" which is quite objective

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
He was often overshadowed even in his own era. I don't think you could say he was ever THE top guy. All his title reigns were of a transitional/placeholder variety.

But I am an Edgehead. He won boatloads of titles, starred in the famous TLC matches, had a relatively long career in bigtime wrestling, was successful in a variety of roles, had a bunch of good/famous matches, and was generally entertaining. He'd probably just crack my Top 20. Probably somewhere between Jericho & Eddie.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Quite simply put, because he isn't one of the greatest of all time.

Title reigns don't factor in, it's a simulated sport, more often than not title reigns are about circumstance and Edge's 10 rather short reigns are evidence of that. Did he deserve the title once, maybe twice? Absolutely. He was arguably the best heel in the company in 2006 and even Cena himself said that Edge elevated him to a new level that he hadn't been able to reach, but that doesn't make you one of the greatest of all time. He was at the top of the card in an era where star power was on the decline and they needed someone to fill that spot, he did a fantastic job in doing so, but in a roster rich attitude era he was the tag-team high spot stuntman, nothing much more.

I think the best way to describe Edge is a well rounded wrestler but definitely not top tier. He had the look, he was a good microphone worker, he was good in the ring, but he never really excelled in any aspect of it and that's what you look for in the "greatest of all time". He was solid, he just wasn't excellent.

I'm a huge Edge fan by the way, so this isn't a post bashing him, it's just honesty.

·
Banned
586 Posts
I'm a fan of his but in all honestly he isnt in the top 50 of all time. As mentioned too many forgettable reigns and he just didn't seem to have that presence that a lot of top guys had.

·
Premium Member
13,340 Posts
From the reasoning of some people you'd think Orton, Batista or Lesnar deserve a higher place on the GOAT list than Edge.

I guess that's what you get when you're stuck having to carry the B show. People even seem to rank him average on the mic and in the ring, when he was obviously great in those areas.
It would have been cool for WWE to keep each brand its own PPVs, would have loved to see how well the SD PPVs would have done with Edge as the draw.

Also I don't get why being a part of one of the greatest tag teams and couples of all times don't factor in one being one of the GOAT, he excelled at everything the WWE threw at him.

Edit: I think if he would have stuck around for a few more years bragging about how he's a legend and all winning a few more stuff would have made him more important, his 13 year career was kinda short..
although he did accomplish everything he could ( KOTR, RR, MITB, All WWE title, WM Main event)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
From the reasoning of some people you'd think Orton, Batista or Lesnar deserve a higher place on the GOAT list than Edge.

I guess that's what you get when you're stuck having to carry the B show. People even seem to rank him average on the mic and in the ring, when he was obviously great in those areas.
It would have been cool for WWE to keep each brand its own PPVs, would have loved to see how well the SD PPVs would have done with Edge as the draw.

Also I don't get why being a part of one of the greatest tag teams and couples of all times don't factor in one being one of the GOAT, he excelled at everything the WWE threw at him.
Exactly, every wrestler has his or her detractors, Edge is one the greatest of all time 11 time tag team champ multiple time Intercontinental World Heavy Weight & WWE Champion and 1 time United States Champion, He's a Royal Rumble Winner He's responsible along with Lita for one the the biggest ratings in RAW history and of course was apart of the one of the greatest tag teams of all time.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
He is one of the greatest lol. I think the announcers let us know that every time we've heard of him since like 2011.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.