Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People within the business always refer to WWE as New York. I was watching a couple of shoots and they say "so you left WCW for New York", New York being WWE (WWF at the time).

Why is WWE referred to as New York? The headquarters are in Stamford Conneticut, so it's not as if they are primarily based in New York. In fact they have a smaller office in new york, just like they do in Los Angeles. Shouldn't it be "you left for stamford or conneticut"?

Is it perhaps to do with vince's father and grandfather did well in the New York wrestling scene at the time? I still find it rather confusing, why would WWE still to do this day be referred to as New York? :confused:

It's one of these things that really bugs me every time I hear it and was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
In the old days of the pro-wrestling territories, the companies where all referred to by where they were based.

That's where their territory was based around. They ran that area, with New York being where they would run their big shows. Hence why WWE is reffered to as New York.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
their territory was new york
This. I remember going to the Manhattan Center as little kid watching the first couple of Monday Night Raw's. The ICOPRO sign on the balcony is still a vivid memory.

Reactions: Gretchen

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
People within the business always refer to WWE as New York. I was watching a couple of shoots and they say "so you left WCW for New York", New York being WWE (WWF at the time).

Why is WWE referred to as New York? The headquarters are in Stamford Conneticut, so it's not as if they are primarily based in New York. In fact they have a smaller office in new york, just like they do in Los Angeles. Shouldn't it be "you left for stamford or conneticut"?

Is it perhaps to do with vince's father and grandfather did well in the New York wrestling scene at the time? I still find it rather confusing, why would WWE still to do this day be referred to as New York? :confused:

It's one of these things that really bugs me every time I hear it and was wondering if anyone could shed some light.
Its similar to how the New England Patriots play in Foxboro MA but people say they are out of boston ma.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Because of Madison Square Garden?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

I live in CT, not to far from Stamford, and Stamford is not too far from NY, and I think there's also a small office in NY as well.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Its similar to how the New England Patriots play in Foxboro MA but people say they are out of boston ma.
Patriots used to play in Boston, and used to be called the Boston Patriots.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I think it's cause New York is basically viewed as the "center of the world", where everything seems to revolve around it(stock exchange,businesses,live theater,entertainment,sports among other things) It's like they say "If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere". Same applies in wrestling business. If you can make it in WWE, you can make it anywhere(or at least should be able to,unless writers from other companies just suck)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
WWE is often referred to as: New York, Stamford, or up North in promos and shoots. "new York" refers to that fact that the future WWE's original territory way back when was the New York metro area and southern New England. It also refers to NYC's Madison Square Garden being WWE's self-proclaimed "home" arena. Stamford/Greenwich/Hartford/Connecticut is obvious as the company is based in Stamford, Connecticut and the McMahons used to live in Hartford (back in the 70s-80s) and now live in Greenwich (apparently in time for Stephanie to go to schools in Greenwich). Up North is also obvious and is usually used by promotions based in the South.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
WWE is often referred to as: New York, Stamford, or up North in promos and shoots. "new York" refers to that fact that the future WWE's original territory way back when was the New York metro area and southern New England. It also refers to NYC's Madison Square Garden being WWE's self-proclaimed "home" arena. Stamford/Greenwich/Hartford/Connecticut is obvious as the company is based in Stamford, Connecticut and the McMahons used to live in Hartford (back in the 70s-80s) and now live in Greenwich (apparently in time for Stephanie to go to schools in Greenwich). Up North is also obvious and is usually used by promotions based in the South.
This.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts