Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a sucker for powerhouse wrestling, so this bugs the shit out of me. Luke Harper and Keith Lee are internet darlings, i get that, but personally, their in ring work wears thin on me, i'm sick of big men doing tope con hilos, it makes no logical sense.
And then those lumbering guys like Erick Rowan and Lars Sullivan are mega trash in the ring, that's a problem too, even tho their whole presentation is a little more captivating, but i digress, that spinebuster from Sullivan is mediocrity personified.
How hard is it to master a powerhouse moveset, with an abundance of all kinds of cool looking slams, suplexes and powerbombs?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I'm not sure who you'd list as someone that meets your needs, given that you've said that the styles of Sullivan, Rowan, Harper and Lee are all no good for you.

They ARE the big men that we have, and they are better than pretty much anything we've ever had. What are you looking for? Earthquake V Yokozuna? Maybe a new Kevin Nash, with offense that's literally all punches and knee lifts, with one wrestling move added as the finisher?

I think we have plenty of "big" men on the books right now, and the range of styles is better than ever. We have full on bruisers like Strowman and Lesnar. We have athletic big men like Samoa Joe and Keith Lee. We have tall, ripped men like Dream, Harper, Rowan, whose moves range from lariats to topes ...

The real problem is that they don't get booked well, but that's not unique to big wrestlers by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
I'm a sucker for powerhouse wrestling, so this bugs the shit out of me. Luke Harper and Keith Lee are internet darlings, i get that, but personally, their in ring work wears thin on me, i'm sick of big men doing tope con hilos, it makes no logical sense.
And then those lumbering guys like Erick Rowan and Lars Sullivan are mega trash in the ring, that's a problem too, even tho their whole presentation is a little more captivating, but i digress, that spinebuster from Sullivan is mediocrity personified.
How hard is it to master a powerhouse moveset, with an abundance of all kinds of cool looking slams, suplexes and powerbombs?
Look up Marco Stunt. He's exactly what you're looking for.

Or, Jeff Cobb

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Big men don’t take wrestling seriously anymore. Now the industry attracts a more DIY “it’s all in the moves” crowd.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not very many big men in the history of wrestling have ever truly been super athletic for their size.

I think the only current standout is Strowman. That dude has great stamina, coordination, and a natural "it factor" of sorts that lets him become over with the audience. The "get these hands" thing shot to the moon fast, much like Ryback's (another 'big man' who was underutilized IMO) "feed me more" chant.

Stamina is something the likes of WWE's more popular big men such as Kane, Big Show, Khali, etc. had barely any of. Big Show's weight was up and down constantly throughout his in-ring career, being very unhealthy in 2006. Khali couldn't fucking walk, couldn't talk, didn't understand wrestling at all and held the world title upside down. Despite his earlier days when he'd do the top-rope clothesline, Kane was never really one to shine through as a true "big man" because the pageantry overshadowed the actual performance. His character and specifically his mask were more memorable.

Hell, it was only two years ago that Mark Henry and Big Show were driven to the ring at the Royal Rumble.

I have no idea who or what image WWE are trying to portray currently. They have everyone of all shapes, sizes, colour and religion from every corner of the globe that you kind of have to narrow it down to: athletes. WWE currently have very few "larger than life" choices of a Big Show/André mould, and they don't book their huge dudes properly. I don't dislike the Rusev/Lana/Lashley thing currently, but Lashley should be running through people. People forget he was the first man to ever break the Masterlock, a move that wrote guys off TV lol.

Also, someone posted it earlier, big guy = big dumb dumb

Big guys have historically not been gifted by the vocal gods making many of them forgettable; especially considering they were in eras of characters like The Rock and Austin to keep up with on a weekly basis.

Shout out to Big Daddy V also, I thought that gimmick change from Viscera was cool.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Honest question, what would some examples of wrestlers like you are looking for? Are you talking guys like a Goldberg? Ken Patera? JYD? Kane? Vader? Big E? Road Warriors / LOD? AOP?

I think guys like Lee do some of the flips because they can pull them off and for the "wow factor". Its one thing when a 200lb guy does a moonsault you expect them to be able to. Its another when a 300+lb guy like Lee or Vader does. You don't expect that. Also, I think by and large fans and even wrestlers to some degree have been conditioned to think flips = better.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,181 Posts
There's never been that many good "big men". They've always been rare. For every Batista or Vader or Undertaker you have 10 Mark Jindraks, Nathan Jones, Earthquakes, King Mabels, Snitsky etc.

Even the most successful big men are generally not successful because they are good at promos or are super charismatic. That's why top guys are more in the Austin/Rock/Cena/Hart/Reigns height and weight range.

Even MMA promotions struggle to attract talented Heavyweights.

The reality is that like 85% of men, and this is a statistical fact, 85% of US men are UNDER 6'0 tall. Only 4% of men are 6'2 and taller. There's just not that many monster sized dudes out there to begin with, let alone who want to take a long shot chance on becoming a televised athlete when they could just be like an actuary or some shit

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,410 Posts
Because the business has shifted to putting nameless and generic "normal bods" in the spotlight who can do a bunch of fancy flips and shit.

Seriously, can anyone tell me the difference between bland talents like Ali, Ricochet and this Umberto guy besides their physical appearances? Yay, they can make the kiddies go 'Whoa!' for five seconds with a certain move, but they all have the personalities and the charisma of a door nail.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
They have Strowman right now, he could be and should be a huge star, way bigger than he is. He’s very athletic, a natural in the ring and he improves very rapidly.

They tend to waste their bigger guys even when they have a huge star right in front of them.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
They HAVE big men, it's just WWE has no idea what to do with them if their name isn't Brock Lesnar. You have Braun Strowman, and they booked him as the next Big Show. You have Bobby Lashley where the guy is ripped out of his God damn mind, and he's involved in this stupid storyline with Lana and Rusev. That guy for his size should not be soleyly focusing on banging someone's wife; he should be destroying the roster, winning titles, THEN banging a wife or two.

People don't last in this era against the awful booking. Someone like Goldberg wouldn't last in this day and age, he would totally get the Lashley treatment.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Cage was my height when I stood next to him. Dude would look small next to Orton, McIntyre et al
Interesting point. Brian Cage would be slightly undersized (in terms of height) compared to a late 80s or late 90s WWF roster. He's an inch shorter than Ken Shamrock, who was one of the shorter wrestlers on the singles roster in 1998.
Even Brock Lesnar, while huge by today's standards would be no more remarkable than Dino Bravo in 1989.

The larger issue is that there is not a pipeline of tall and/or jacked up wrestlers in either the independents or second tier promotions. The base of hard core fans values workrate, not muscle-bound superheroes as in previous decades.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Less steroids allowed, plus better paying (and better treated) occupations out there now for actual big men than in pro wrestling.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts