Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has seen they changed his taunt to the hands over the head pointing up. Austin did this a shit load of times when he won a match(No i'm not talking about the birds either i'm talking about with his pointer fingers) They also have had hime doing the Lou Thesz Press which again austin used A LOT! They have also gave him the Angle Slam which was Angles move. So my question is why is the WWE giving Orton all these things that has already been done by past superstars(Very popular ones at that)? I know the WWE Creative team is lazy, but as our AWESOME champion would say...Really?(Haters can hate, but Miz is the most entertaining champ in awhile)

· Registered
1,067 Posts
people complain if a wrestler doesn't do enough moves, people complain if wrestlers add a move but is already in use.
Theres only so many wrestling moves, people don't look at a DDT and say he copy Jake the Snake "think his finisher was a ddt"

· Registered
103 Posts
Wow. Another unsatisfied fan SEARCHING for pointless reasons to bitch...or just bitching about the wrong things.

Austin did the Million Dollar Dream that Ted Dibiase Sr did before him. Nobody complained.

Angle did the ankle lock that Ken Shamrock did before him. Nobody complained.

Lou Thesz...I'm sure he did a suplex that someone else started before him.

Jesus, man. What do you want him to do? Make up a completely different move set that no one else has ever done before? :flip

· Registered
6,157 Posts
Pointing to the sky is hardly a huge deal. Fuck it, how many guys do the "one hand in the air" thing?
Seriously, this is nothing.

The Angle Slam thing is simple. Moves get recycled because a perfectly decent move shouldn't be left on the shelf just because it's old user isn't around. If that was the case, we'd run out of finishers in ten years. If a move can do somebody good then there's no point ignoring it just because some IWC smarks will bash them for re-using something. Recycling means taking something good and putting it to good use again. Eventually moves like The Stunner, Rock Bottom etc will come back into circulation (the bigger the star, the longer it takes) and people will complain but who gives a flying fuck?

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Orton lovers read no further.

I've long said Orton is overrated. It's been blatantly obvious WWE is trying to recreate "The Rattlesnake" with "The Viper" and I think it's been uber lame. Not knocking Orton's actual athletic prowess cause I think he has tons of potential, I just don't think he's lived up to that potential at all. For one, his gimmick sucks. People cheer him because he's been made a celebrity, not because he's over as a true face. You may ask what is the difference oh great Kamatose? Well, it's quite simple. Let's take a look at what a heel is; an antagonist, they cheat, use dirty moves, say mean things. Orton hasn't changed at all from his heel persona. His moves still completely reflect heel tendencies aimed at maiming and crippling his opponents. "But other faces have used heel tactics when they've turned!" Yes, they have, but those faces were goddamn legends like Ric Flair and Roddy Piper. Yes, those two. Take a look at most faces and you won't see cheap move sets. "Well, he's not a face, he's a tweener." And you're a goddamn moron. I won't get into the tweener debate because it doesn't exist and neither does that stupid question.

My point being, whether Orton knows any in ring psychology is debateable, but he doesn't show any. If it's WWE's idea for him to remain acting like a heel but pushed like a face then they are completely idiotic. I'm sure it works for casual fans that cheer him solely because they "like" him and the 13 year old girl (and probably some boys) populace that have a crush on him who screams at the top of their lungs (some live on these boards), but real wrestling fans can or at least should be able to see through the smoke and mirrors and vomit a little in their mouths each time they see him on television. ...

As far as the movesets, he needs new ones and face ones at that. I think too often it's come down to trying to replicate someone else's success, ie ankle lock (angle=swagger), Thesz Press (austin=orton), Olympic/Angle Slam (angle=orton) I think occasionally these things can be done if a wrestler will add their own special twist to it. I will give Orton kudos on his Garvin Stomp which he mustered into a great heel move, Garvin was a great face and the move had a lot of fan fare when he did it. but yea, stealing a move just for the moves sake doesn't make the greatest amount of sense unless you place your spin on it.

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Do we really need a "Simpsons did it" thread?

This shouldn't have to be explained, but there is nothing new under the Sun. Everything has already been done by someone, who probably copied it from somebody else. It's all been done. It's kind of hilarious how people still pull out the "rip off" card, especially in professional wrestling which was built on emulation.

· Registered
110 Posts
I'm sure it works for casual fans that cheer him solely because they "like" him and the 13 year old girl (and probably some boys) populace that have a crush on him who screams at the top of their lungs (some live on these boards)
I know exactly who you are referring to, hahahahaha!!!

I hate that pussy but a buddy of mine put on some old matches back after the Evoultion days and his wrestling is not that bad.

As for moves, they come and go. Look at the Rock he used the sharpshooter a lot and that was Bret Hart's finisher.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wouldn't be a big deal, but giving one superstar all these things other did is whats the art that makes it stupid. I wouldn't mind if he was just doing the angle slam but austin moves and taunts there just trying to hard.

· Registered
349 Posts
Not sure why everyone keeps saying he's "Austin". Does he try to act like a rebel? Does he fight against authority?

Orton's a psycho-sadist, which is a massively far cry from anything Austin was. The only things that are mildly the same are the shaved heads and the loner attitude...which at least half a dozen other wrestlers fit into.

· Registered
993 Posts
Not sure why everyone keeps saying he's "Austin". Does he try to act like a rebel? Does he fight against authority?

Orton's a psycho-sadist, which is a massively far cry from anything Austin was. The only things that are mildly the same are the shaved heads and the loner attitude...which at least half a dozen other wrestlers fit into.
He rebelled against authority as a heel. If WWE were to rehash old characters they wouldn't copy them 100% anyway, there's no question Orton has elements taken from SCSA.

· HEADBANGA
27,576 Posts

I've long said Orton is overrated. It's been blatantly obvious WWE is trying to recreate "The Rattlesnake" with "The Viper" and I think it's been uber lame. Not knocking Orton's actual athletic prowess cause I think he has tons of potential, I just don't think he's lived up to that potential at all. For one, his gimmick sucks. People cheer him because he's been made a celebrity, not because he's over as a true face. You may ask what is the difference oh great Kamatose? Well, it's quite simple. Let's take a look at what a heel is; an antagonist, they cheat, use dirty moves, say mean things. Orton hasn't changed at all from his heel persona. His moves still completely reflect heel tendencies aimed at maiming and crippling his opponents. "But other faces have used heel tactics when they've turned!" Yes, they have, but those faces were goddamn legends like Ric Flair and Roddy Piper. Yes, those two. Take a look at most faces and you won't see cheap move sets. "Well, he's not a face, he's a tweener." And you're a goddamn moron. I won't get into the tweener debate because it doesn't exist and neither does that stupid question.

My point being, whether Orton knows any in ring psychology is debateable, but he doesn't show any. If it's WWE's idea for him to remain acting like a heel but pushed like a face then they are completely idiotic. I'm sure it works for casual fans that cheer him solely because they "like" him and the 13 year old girl (and probably some boys) populace that have a crush on him who screams at the top of their lungs (some live on these boards), but real wrestling fans can or at least should be able to see through the smoke and mirrors and vomit a little in their mouths each time they see him on television. ...

As far as the movesets, he needs new ones and face ones at that. I think too often it's come down to trying to replicate someone else's success, ie ankle lock (angle=swagger), Thesz Press (austin=orton), Olympic/Angle Slam (angle=orton) I think occasionally these things can be done if a wrestler will add their own special twist to it. I will give Orton kudos on his Garvin Stomp which he mustered into a great heel move, Garvin was a great face and the move had a lot of fan fare when he did it. but yea, stealing a move just for the moves sake doesn't make the greatest amount of sense unless you place your spin on it.

Guys like Punk, Jericho, Angle, and Hogan have the same moveset regardless if they're face or heel.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
yeah they want him to be stone cold, except he's missing the most important ingredient, Charisma.
:lmao

I don't know why people compare the RKO to the Stunner when clearly the RKO is the Diamond Cutter. Orton himself even stated he got it from DDP and if I'm not mistaken got his permission to use it.
He got the move from Johnny Ace who was using the Cutter before DDP. DDP was simply trying to take credit for Orton using it.

· Registered
7,396 Posts
lmao at the people saying they are trying to make orton like austin. their characters aren't remotely similar.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.