Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean Santino and Khozlov and the USO's should never be the only tag teams, it's just sad sometimes how low this division is when there is no excuse at all to this.

I mean there are so many teams I can think of off the back of my head
Sheamus/Mcintyre
Bourne/Tatsu
Legacy(Cody is better then ted but there both not doing anything right now anyway and since ted HAS to be in the wwe still he might as well just do this)
Better yet...
Cody/Goldust(There both weird and I'm sure they have great chemistry)
Mark Henry/Ezekial Jackson
Fucking Nexus!!!
Kaval and Daniel Bryan could have been good
Or Regal and Bryan
Tyson Kidd and Jackson Andrews
Tyler Reks and Chris Masters, kinda random but there also not doing anything anyway so why not
Big Show and Mysterio(Even got a name, Team Bury All...)

The worst part is a lot of these people aren't doing ANYTHING! Why is it such a problem to save the tag division.

Not only that we would also never have to suffer from watching the boring USO's ever again, them and the Hart Dynasty did nothing for the tag division in my opinion, Tyson Kidd needed a better partner and I personally believe andrews would be better...

What do you guys think, even with those teams do you think the division would be dead? Or is creative just wasting time...lots and lots of time...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Why is the tag division so dead right now? There is no real reason why it should

i personally think when done right, the TAg division and matches can be some of the most exciting ive seen.....

Look back at how popular past tag teams have been... Hardys, team 3d, British Bulldogs, Rockers...... the list is endless

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Re: Why is the tag division so dead right now? There is no real reason why it should

Its been the ccase pretty much since the brand split, minus some brief 1-2 month spurts here & there. WWE, for whatever reason, has no faith in a tag team division, which is VERY strange considering how much success they had in the 80s & Attitude Era with strong tag team wrestling. I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

they should probably make some special rule that the tag team division spans both brands or something.. then at least you could have a decent number of teams.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

If they threw those guys together would it make the division any good? No, you need to work together over time to create a good chemistry with one another.

You look at 1999/2000 and the tag team division then, you've got the focal teams of The Dudley Boyz, Edge and Christian and The Hardy Boyz, all three of these teams had worked as a pair before signing for the WWE, meaning that they will have built up a massive chemistry and just worked well as a team.

Beneath them there was The Acolytes, The Headbangers, Kai En Tai, Too Cool and a few other tandems, but all of these teams had been formed at some point in 1998, meaning that they had time to gradually gel as a team, which is why I think the division was so successful at that point.

You could argue that when WWE had the likes of Cryme Time and Jesse and Festus, or La Resistance and The Basham Brothers that they had "real" tag teams where they were presented as being the same. I think at the end of the day the quality of product which these teams offered was just not up to the matches with the teams of 1999/2000 put on. You look at how far they have come since then, Edge, Christian, Jeff Hardy, JBL all world champions, and a few more guys holding lower card singles titles. For a tag division to work the guys used in it need to be top quality performers, which the teams in WWE can't offer today. If they were to form alot of the tag teams you mention they also run the risk of seriously damaging the depth of other divisions, which is far too risky.

Another thing about the 1999/2000 teams is that they were the fresh new young talent of the WWE. Today the fresh talent doesnt seem to head to the tag divison but more for the midcard belts like the US and especially the Intercontinental division which has been great entertainment this year. If you think back to 1999/2000 and you look at the IC division, particularly before WWE rejuvenated it with Jericho and The Radicalz, there was the likes of Godfather, Road Dogg and Val Venis all swapping the titles, not a very strong division at that point because once the new guys came in all these guys became lower card men.

I think the only way to really get a solid tag division back is to sign talent who have worked as a tag team on the indy circuit, this will assure WWE that the guys have chemistry while also bringing in the reputation factor which makes new guys feel like a big deal, the same way which made Bryan and Kaval seem like a big deal on NXT. Bringing in teams like The Briscoe Brothers, The Kings of Wrestling and bringing back Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas could make a solid enough divison. If you reunite Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder during the draft and put them with Trent Barretta as the New Dudebusters, then you can keep Santino/Kozlov and Slater/Gabriel as teams to add depth. But the focal four teams should be the new talent with Slater and Gabriel added into the mix, Santino/Kozlov should be kept for comedy angles mainly in the same way Too Cool were never a serious threat to the big teams. The Dudebusters should be moved up to fued with a group like The Corre but shouldn't be presented as a joke team, they should be put across in the same way TNA currently puts MCMG over so they are a fun exciting team but are deadly serious and can get it done in the ring.

·
Registered
255 Posts

In the short term, they'd need to put together some of their less used wrestlers like Masters or Mark Henry, and give their tag team a big gimmick that's not overly cheesy. Let them wrestle together for a while, and work on developing younger tag teams.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

The tag team division is dead because...

WWE creative wanted Santino to be a champion, without ruining the whole of wrestling by giving him a singles title. Ergo, he has won the women's title, and the tag team title.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts