Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I see a lot of people on this forum mention memorable-great intense feuds where two wrestlers just have this uncontrollable hate for each other and have awesome chemistry such as

Austin/Mr. McMahon (Attitude Era)
John Cena/Randy Orton (2009)
Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho (2008)
Eddie Guerrero/Rey Mysterio (2005)
Edge/Mick Foley (2006)
Triple H/Batista (2005)

And so on but where is The Rock/Triple H honorable mentions? Since I joined the WF back in mid 2009 of last year I barely see any Rock/Triple H mentions from most of you.

I was just watching The Rock “Most Electrifying Man” DVD for the first time and just like every other of his earlier DVD’s, they made it seem like Triple H was definitely The Rock’s biggest thorn throughout his career (not including Austin) which I honestly agree that he was.

I remember all of their great history together from them both wrestling each other for the first time as Rocky Mavia and Hunter Heart Helmsley and later even be leaders of their own faction of DX/Nation and battled each other then.

Call me crazy but I honestly believe in my opinion that The Rock/Triple H were as Michael Cole like to call it "The Rivalry".

What are your opinions about The Rock/Triple H feud in general as far having chemistry/being entertained or even being overrated to you?.

·
22,784 Posts
Despite the fact I can't stand The Rock, I loved their feud, and thought it was much better than all of those that you mentioned other than Eddie/Rey (yeah, I don't like Austin/McMahon much :p). When it was at its peak in 2000 (my favourite part of their feud, not too big on the 98 version), it was basically must see TV for me (aka must see what HHH does next to try and cripple The Rock :p). Their matches were usually always pretty great too. Backlash was awesome, not so much in terms of wrasslin' but because of the storyline going into it, the atmosphere, and the complete craziness of the whole scenario with the McMahon-Helmsley faction and then Austin showing up. The JD Iron Man Match is still my second favourite Iron Man match as well, and I'm really high on the WM 2000 4 way (which came down to these two guys) even if a lot of people don't like it. Just kinda sucks that their epic rivalry pretty much ended with a 6 man tag, and Rock beating Vince for the belt rather than HHH.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Austin/Mr. McMahon (Attitude Era)
John Cena/Randy Orton (2009)
Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho (2008)
Eddie Guerrero/Rey Mysterio (2005)
Edge/Mick Foley (2006)
Triple H/Batista (2005)
Do people really mention this as a memorable/intense feud? The others had their great moments. This one didn't have even one. It was generic and ultimately shit (they had a solid history in 2007, the feud done right before Cena's unfortunate injury, and screwed it up with this). It certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as something like Austin/McMahon.

Anyhow, more on-topic, the Rock/Triple H feud was fantastic. They had a solid history from when they were younger in the careers and the peak in 2000 was a high point. They really were going back and forth, and the crowd was eating it up. You couldn't help but get caught up in it.

I'd rate it above every feud you mentioned in your post very easily, outside of McMahon/Austin.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Its not really underrated. It was a great feud. Just because you dont hear people talk about it everyday doesnt mean its not loved

Like for example I'm a huge fan of the criminally underrated Dangerous Alliance vs Sting's Squadron feud in WCW. Now thats a feud more people gotta check out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Back at the time, HHH and Rock were pretty much too of the biggest names in the company and was always in the main event scene apart from Austin, Taker and Mankind. Though personally, I kinda preferred their little feud over the Intercontinental Title. The DX vs Nation thing was memorable.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
I liked the fueds between these two. Thought they put on great matches. I really did not notice people over looked this fued. /shrugs

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
it was good and all, and i love both guys. but overall it was secondary. everyone is gonna remember the absolute biggest and best, especially if its from about a decade ago. so austin rock will always over take it in everyones memories. and i have no idea why orton cena is on that list that feud sucked the big one. orton hhh was 1000 times better even with the shitty ending.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Rock vs. Triple H is one of my all time favourite feuds and I was a fan of almost all their matches together:

Ladder match (Summerslam 98) ***1/2
Strap match (Fully Loaded 99) ***
Backlash 2000 ****1/2
Iron Man match (Judgment Day 2000) *****

I definitely would rate these two up there with my other top feuds:

Rock/Austin
HBK/Taker
Bret/Austin
Taker/Mankind
HBK/HHH
HBK/Jericho

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
imo, that was the greatest rivalry since i started watching wrestling in 99

That rivalry made HHH

i remember i use to hate him cause he would always find a way to cheat and win

he use give rock sum major ass kickings lol

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Their feud through 98 and 99 became a cliché, only in 2000 when Trips had the McMahon-Helmsley faction, did it really pick up.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I really enjoyed their feuds, especially in 2000 with the McMahon-Helmsley regime angle. I was already a big fan of The Rock, but began to really appreciate Triple H's work around this time. Great rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9cdTOfNWU

·
Registered
970 Posts
the Rock/HHH feud is one of my favourite feuds ever... It was probably both of them at their best.

I missed quite a large chunk of wrestling over the years so I think this feud was probably the last one where I actually tuned in to see what would happen next.

And the a big thing to really appreciate now, considering the way faces like Cena & Rey are treated, is that the Rock got his ass handed to him ...a lot... but yet people still tuned in, people still bought shit, and people still cheered when the face managed to finally win.

Crap... I'm getting depressed now about the WWE's current state

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
While I don't think Rock/HHH has been underrated much, there are a lot of overlooked fueds from the Attitude Era. Austin/Vince dominated so much to the point it's easy to forget how many terrific feuds there were.

Austin vs. Dude Love is certainly one that qualifies.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,584 Posts
The Rock/Triple H feud is in my top 4 feuds ever, along with Austin/McMahon, Taker/Foley, and Rock/Austin.

These two guys really rode to the top with each other, feuding on and off from early 1997 onwards.

Summerslam 1998 Ladder Match - ****
Backlash 2000 - ****1/2
Judgment Day 2000 Iron Man - ****1/2

Three of the best matches I've ever seen, and ones I can watch over and over again.

Although, it still annoys me that Rock finally won the title back but he did it by pinning Vince and not Triple H. I still believe Triple H didn't want to drop the belt to Rocky again but they had to get the belt off him so they booked that ridiculous six-man tag. In my opinion, after all the interference at Wrestlemania, Backlash, and then Judgment Day, it should've boiled down to a one on one match at King Of The Ring where all interference was banned, and it should've ended with Rocky coming out on top.

Still, an absolutely epic feud from start to finish. Like someone said, just watch how Rocky was booked throughout the year 2000. He was the top face at the time but he got his ass kicked just as much as he kicked ass. It made everyone get behind him so much more; it made the eventual victories that much sweeter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts