Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn’t a dig at AJ Styles, because I’m a huge fan of him. But I’ve always wondered why wrestlers such as Balor, Bryan, Kofi, etc are considered by certain fans to be “vanilla midgets” because of how they look (being under 5ft10, not having an intimidating physique) yet no one ever seems to say this stuff at Styles. Styles is probably shorter than these people. Granted he’s probably more built than these guys, but he looks small next to someone like Drew or Orton. When Styles was champion, no one said anything about his look. Yet when it was Kofi/Bryan, all people seemed to say was how they were impossible to take seriously as champion due to their looks and size.

Again this is not me critiquing Styles, because I think he looks fine, I just don’t get why other wrestlers get this argument aimed at them but he never does. Is it a respect thing?

·
Southern Pride
Bless Your Heart
6,002 Posts
It's the aura around AJ Styles. Back when AJ was in TNA with the short hair, clean face and everything he was being called names similar to "Vanilla Midget". Back when he was still doing the spiral tap from the top rope. Then he grew his hair out, joined the BC and grew as a wrestler from there. Not depending mostly on wrestling moves, improving his mic. talking and showing more of an engaging personality.

Bryan Danielson really did the same in WWE and I really don't get calling him vanilla or a midget. That term is overused and has lost its meaning now, like every other term that gains popularity on the internet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
People are just mean, the insult shouldn't even be used. Most people that use this term may just be jealous because guys like Finn Balor look better than they do. Kofi had to fight adversity, only to be called mean names by jealous and/or cruel people. People should try to be nice to others. Jesus loves you. Have a great day.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
AJ is anything but a vanilla midget.

That being said, it's also cause he's in WWE. Those people who are institutionalized also think Miz is the GOAT..........

·
The Babyface of WF
WWE/F since 1993
19,433 Posts
Cause like Shawn Michaels, he has a personality.
Aside from those who actually praised him within the industry enough and made loose comparisons between him and HBK I always believed he could have been the modern day equivalent of Shawn Michaels had he ticked off every box Shawn did.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts