Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
10,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some sort of heat I'm not aware of? Dude was money, main evented multiple manias..I've never understood this one.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,624 Posts
Not a bad question.

He's certainly a "WWE HOF" worthy guy, who is actually living that they can bring up for a feel good story.

Let Lawler induct him all would be well.

·
Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
3,451 Posts
It's a shame he's not in. I still think he'll be in sooner or later..

Remember he made a return in 2012 to wrestle Heath Slater. I was a big fan of Sid as a child so I've seen some shoot interviews with him, it doesn't sound like there's heat. The time just isn't right I guess.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sid should be in but Sid did not get along with Arn Anderson and Ric Flair as Sid wanted to be the leader of the 4 Horseman in WCW.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Sid should be in but Sid did not get along with Arn Anderson and Ric Flair as Sid wanted to be the leader of the 4 Horseman in WCW.
No they fell out because Sid was getting paid more than guys like Arn and he was gloating saying he was going to be the next world champion (he was). Then they had a drunken hotel Brawl which resulted in both guys being stabbed multiple times with scissors. Sid was sacked. Arn got away with it due to his connections with Flair. That was 30 or so years ago. Plus Sid returned in WCW after Arn had retired in 1999.

·
Registered
983 Posts
For all that's said about him messing up some promos, whenever he did his intimidating promo schtick it was scary as shit when you were a kid.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Two reason comes to mind: The first is his lack of loyalty to Vince could be a factor, if i remember correctly he jumped ship from WWE and WCW quiet a bit. We all know Vince holds a grudge so it makes me wonder. The second reason i can think of is most people remember Sid for his fight with Arn and that leg break (when he went for a flying big boot and fucked up his leg on the landing). Nether is a good look for a company obsessed with PR. Plus as the above poster pointed out, SId is fucking nuts! Completely deluded so likely a pain in the ass to work so they can't be assed inducting him.

He should be in the HOF though, he had some huge match's and if Koko B.ware is it in then big Sid should be. Him doing a speech for it would be gold comedy so i hope he gets in while he's still alive.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Previously it might have been awkward while Arn Anderson was still with the company but now he's with AEW that might clear the way for Sid.

Arn was in WCW in a backstage role in the late 90s during Sid's last big run. I'm sure they aren't going to invite each other over for dinner but they probably don't have the same level of heat that they had at one point.

Two reason comes to mind: The first is his lack of loyalty to Vince could be a factor, if i remember correctly he jumped ship from WWE and WCW quiet a bit. We all know Vince holds a grudge so it makes me wonder. The second reason i can think of is most people remember Sid for his fight with Arn and that leg break (when he went for a flying big boot and fucked up his leg on the landing). Nether is a good look for a company obsessed with PR. Plus as the above poster pointed out, SId is fucking nuts! Completely deluded so likely a pain in the ass to work so they can't be assed inducting him.

He should be in the HOF though, he had some huge match's and if Koko B.ware is it in then big Sid should be. Him doing a speech for it would be gold comedy so i hope he gets in while he's still alive.

If Vince can handle putting Warrior in the HOF, then Sid is easy in comparison. That was far worse PR [Backstage drama and his post-wrestling homophobic comments] than anything Sid could bring.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thing with the Hall of Fame is there is no real criteria for it beyond who they think will help them grab attention, that year. They put Arnold Schwarzenegger in there as a celebrity one year as pretty much a cross-promotional stunt for his movie and so Triple H could have a Terminator-themed entrance at Mania.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts

Bingo.

Sid was brought in specifically to take Hulk Hogan's spot in May 1991. In January 1992 he tried to quit, and Vince placated him by turning him heel. He did quit for real in April 1992 after two house show matches with Warrior, not wanting to work with Hellwig. Sid had been given a monstrous push, yet walked away.

Sid was allowed to come back in 1995 for a boost in star power. Vince used him to get Diesel over, then Shawn Michaels, and going into January 1997 he was reduced to jobbing to then opening-card act Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly at a house show in Connecticut. He faked a neck injury and walked away, not wanting to see himself reduced even further.

After Warrior was released and Bret refused to come back, a desperate Vince reached out to a now retired Sid in late June 1996 to do some appearances. Sid managed to leverage that into a guaranteed contact - I believe only the third one that the company had given out at that point (after Merro and Pillman). During telephone negotiations, Vince asked Sid if he was "holding him up". Sid responded that this was not the case, but he wanted a guarantee and not a "return to the whipping post". That was what he viewed his 1995 run as - a payback for leaving the company in 1992.

Sid got unexpectedly over and with Vader removed from plans, Sid won the title at Survivor Series. At the WWF's big press conference for its 1997 Royal Rumble - the first stadium show that the company had embarked upon in over four years - Sid overslept and did not appear. Vince was irate.

Sid dropped the belt, but then Shawn unexpectedly relinquished the title. Sid ended up champion and headlining a second WrestleMania almost by accident. After dropping the title to the Undertaker the WWF seemed to lose interest in him. Later that spring Sid was in a car accident with several other wrestlers and this time suffered a legitimate neck injury. Concerned about his health and potentially his usage going forward (he had been one of the most strongly pushed wrestlers from Aug 1996 - Mar 1997), Sid stopped appearing. Per the Prichard podcast, the WWF got tired of the shenanigans and released him from his contract in August 1997.

So it comes down to Sid walking out on the company after being given large pushes, twice.

Will he get in? I hope so. But there's still a line ahead of him. The one thing in his favor is that he generally has a lot of favorable views with his fellow wrestlers. Aside from Flair, few have actually criticized him. He was relatively easy to work with and was friends with the Clique to an extent. Hogan and Holly both put him over in their books.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Bingo.

Sid was brought in specifically to take Hulk Hogan's spot in May 1991. In January 1992 he tried to quit, and Vince placated him by turning him heel. He did quit for real in April 1991 after two house show matches with Warrior, not wanting to work with Hellwig. Sid had been given a monstrous push, yet walked away.

Sid was allowed to come back in 1995 for a boost in star power. Vince used him to get Diesel over, then Shawn Michaels, and going into January 1997 he was reduced to jobbing to then opening-card act Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly at a house show in Connecticut. He faked a neck injury and walked away, not wanting to see himself reduced even further.

After Warrior was released and Bret refused to come back, a desperate Vince reached out to a now retired Sid in late June 1996 to do some appearances. Sid managed to leverage that into a guaranteed contact - I believe only the third one that the company had given out at that point (after Merro and Pillman). During telephone negotiations, Vince asked Sid if he was "holding him up". Sid responded that this was not the case, but he wanted a guarantee and not a "return to the whipping post". That was what he viewed his 1995 run as - a payback for leaving the company in 1992.

Sid got unexpectedly over and with Vader removed from plans, Sid won the title at Survivor Series. At the WWF's big press conference for its 1997 Royal Rumble - the first stadium show that the company had embarked upon in over four years - Sid overslept and did not appear. Vince was irate.

Sid dropped the belt, but then Shawn unexpectedly relinquished the title. Sid ended up champion and headlining a second WrestleMania almost by accident. After dropping the title to the Undertaker the WWF seemed to lose interest in him. Later that spring Sid was in a car accident with several other wrestlers and this time suffered a legitimate neck injury. Concerned about his health and potentially his usage going forward (he had been one of the most strongly pushed wrestlers from Aug 1996 - Mar 1997), Sid stopped appearing. Per the Prichard podcast, the WWF got tired of the shenanigans and released him from his contract in August 1997.

So it comes down to Sid walking out on the company after being given large pushes, twice.

Will he get in? I hope so. But there's still a line ahead of him. The one thing in his favor is that he generally has a lot of favorable views with his fellow wrestlers. Aside from Flair, few have actually criticized him. He was relatively easy to work with and was friends with the Clique to an extent. Hogan and Holly both put him over in their books.
Great post dude. Interesting point that no one really said much against Sid except Flair, hell even him and Arn patch things up if I'm not mistaken? Knew Holly had sang Sid's praises in his book, hadn't read Hogan so surprised he put Sid over.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts