Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Confortably Numb
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry, it might be the inner Orton fan in me, but I just can't see why. He's immensly overdissed in this aspect, his promo this Smackdown was actually pretty enjoyable.

Furthermore, he rarely or maybe never stammers like sometimes it happens to even the top Mic Workers currently like Punk, Cena, etc; he actually cuts his promos cleanly and in an understandable way.
Plus, this might sound weird but I can actually see the 'emotion' in his voice when he is talking about something that he, lets say, hates (Kane storyline), and especially in his facial expressions.

But really, why do some (most of sadly) of you despise Orton's Mic Work & Segments currently? I think it's far from being as worse as you put it out to be.

[And please do not turn this into another Orton haters vs Orton marks 'flaming' thread. Thanks]

·
Registered
996 Posts
Whats amazing is how many people care more about stupid interviews than the actual wrestling. Sure orton isn't great on the mic but as long as he gets it done in the rings tahts all taht should matter. That goes for any wrestler. Im sorry i dont like the stupid soap opera crap I just want to see good matches

·
Confortably Numb
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats amazing is how many people care more about stupid interviews than the actual wrestling. Sure orton isn't great on the mic but as long as he gets it done in the rings tahts all taht should matter. That goes for any wrestler. Im sorry i dont like the stupid soap opera crap I just want to see good matches
I believe Orton's in-ring work is untouchable. No one, even the haters, can say that Orton is far from excellence when it comes to Wrestling. What it bugs me, is that sure; he isn't the best Mic worker in the industry, but he is sure damn far from being as bad as they claim that he is.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Furthermore, he rarely or maybe never stammers like sometimes it happens to even the top Mic Workers currently like Punk, Cena, etc; he actually cuts his promos cleanly and in an understandable way.
It's hard to stammer when you talk as slow as Orton does. Also you have to remember that Orton talks alot less than Punk and Cena. Punk and Cena deliver 10 promos, while Orton often cuts a 30 second backstage segment. So that's almost impossible to fuck up.

It's the way that Orton talks that turns me off. That dry, slow, boring, monotonous voice of his annoying, and I realize that part of that is due to his character but his character as been stale for a while now and he needs a change. I always thought Orton's best mic work was during his Evolution/legend killer days, at least he wasn't so predictable back then and he actually showed some personality.

People criticize this shit:

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
^But people have been saying that for years,it's only been since he's become a face that people started calling out his promos.

Remember when jericho returned to WWE(back in 2007) he called out Orton for being boring,and the way he talks. That was when Orton was a heel, he was WWE champ. So people suddenly calling Orton out for doing stuff he's been doing for 5+ years makes no sense.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
Its basically the strong perception of the fans that Orton "sucks" on the mic, so everytime he opens his mouth its considered boring. Just like "John cena cant wrestle, always corny on the mic" or "Everytime HHH wins a match, the opponent is Buried" Or "TNA is a shithole that can never be good". Its become a myth sort of, that is hard to change.

Its the problem with the IWC not the superstars, I suggest you ignore IWC opinions if ya dont like them. Casual fans still love Orton, thats all that matters in the end anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
^But people have been saying that for years,it's only been since he's become a face that people started calling out his promos.

Remember when jericho returned to WWE(back in 2007) he called out Orton for being boring,and the way he talks. That was when Orton was a heel, he was WWE champ. So people suddenly calling Orton out for doing stuff he's been doing for 5+ years makes no sense.
Well that's the mentality of the IWC, support them when they're heel, hate them when they're face.

However I'm in the minority and I actually prefer Orton as a face, because it seems he's less relevant as a face. When he was heel he was doing those same style of promos for 10+ minutes and it was unbearable, and now as a face he seems to get less mic time so I prefer him that way. It's the same way I always preferred Bryan as a face, because as a heel now he's getting plenty of mic time and it's awful.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Orton gets stick for saying 'My Name Is Randy Orton'
I like this saying, it sounds pretty cool when he says it.

Lets remember that CM Punk can't go through a promo without shouting 'IM THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!'

Its just the same.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Let's not forget that he can't really cut a good promo because they don't give him time. It's not really his fault that he gets 30 seconds for promo, it's impossible to improve and deliver great promo in that short time.

Back to the topic, he's pretty good on the mic, not one of the worst as many people claim. But you know, Orton's got many haters, talented guys always do. And as they can't really pick on his in-ring ability, because he's awesome, they pick his weak spot, and that's mic skills.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Orton gets stick for saying 'My Name Is Randy Orton'
I like this saying, it sounds pretty cool when he says it.

Lets remember that CM Punk can't go through a promo without shouting 'IM THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!'

Its just the same.
No it's not the same.

Prior to shouting "I'M THE BEST IN THE WORLD" Punk usually cuts a solid 5+ minute promo that manages to both captivate the crowd and progress the feud he's in and does this almost every week. On the other hand Randy Orton does the odd promo and just says the same old shit, we get it Randy you're an angry man when provoked. Orton has become incredibly stale and I don't really enjoy anything he does these days.

Although I give Orton a hard time, I'm willing to admit he is a pretty solid in-ring worker.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
'My name is Randy Orton' is just a cheap pop. Do people really get mad about that?

People get annoyed because he chooses to talk in a very slow, methodical tone, which may come across as boring if you have the attention span of a puppy.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
I skipped the entire segment tbh. I like Orton, by far the best tweener in the biz, but his segments are watchable when the situation is hot. His segments at times can come off as straight up boring as hell.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
People get annoyed because he chooses to talk in a very slow, methodical tone, which may come across as boring if you have the attention span of a puppy.
No it's just boring. The fact that people get sick of Orton's promos when he doesn't get much mic time to begin with, indicates how stale his character is to people. If he came out every week and cut Punk/Cena/Bryan length promos he would get much more hate than he is now. I don't know how anyone can find his boring, outdated, monotonous, repetitive style of promos interesting, but each to their own.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The only people saying Orton is terrible on the mic are indy kids who started watching wrestling in 2010 or something when Orton was stuck in this limited Viper gimmick or has a memory span of a Penguin. Those are also the same people who will tell how mediocre, forced and unbelievable mic workers like Punk and Bryan are great.

Orton had everything, delivery, charisma, acting, performance, believable intensity, swagger etc...The minute he's turning or changing his character, he's getting his weekly mic time back and his position as the best in the company along with Jericho and Cena. It's happening at Summerslam with Brock, should be a money program.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The guy plays his character extremely convincingly, but his character is what's also bringing him down

I don't think he's that bad of a talker, but it's his slow, and monotonous delivery that pisses people off 'cause some people don't like it.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
The only people saying Orton is terrible on the mic are indy kids who started watching wrestling in 2010 or something when Orton was stuck in this limited Viper gimmick or has a memory span of a Penguin. Those are also the same people who will tell how mediocre, forced and unbelievable mic workers like Punk and Bryan are great.
No :lmao

That's a crazy generalization there, but I can't take the majority of what you say seriously so it's alright. I personally have never said Orton was terrible on the mic, and I don't think others do, I just find him boring, which is partly attributed to his character anyway. Orton's in much need of a character change, as he's pretty much played the same character for the past 3 years now. His current feud with Kane is very underwhelming, and hopefully when that's finished he can actually do something interesting.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
His promo last night was good, slow but with purpose, and I did get a chuckle from the end "So your not an announcer?"

He does acceptable promos in the situations given to him i.e Short and with limited character, and he makes up for it with good in ring skills.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts