Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
it's businessss, international business, nobody gives a crap about traditions and culture in international business.
That's not how the Japanese tend to see it. Japan has a very specific business culture. They do not behave the same as typical American companies.

Different cultures are different. Ever had business meetings with Japanese?

I have.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
He left with a winning record against Naito and Okada after ending his record breaking reign and being the first gaijin they trusted enough to let win the G1. Kenny is my guy but I absolutely see why NJPW would be pissed. Kenny gave a lot of lip service about never leaving Japan and in the end he did just that. I don't think they really cared about The Young Bucks lol.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
I guess that after what happened with AJ, Nakamura and Gallows/Anderson they kinda hoped a little more, I don't know, loyalty from the other guys given how hard they were pushed and they felt betrayed when they left, especially with all the plans they had for the US expansion where the Elite was going to be heavily involved. I am not blaming the Elite btw, they saw a better opportunity and they took it, but in japanese wrestling they have relied a lot on loyalty throughout the years and when they feel that someone "betrays" you it takes them time to forgive them (look at Shibata, he was a black sheep for a while when he returned to New Japan)

2,244 Posts
Because NJPW was the Golden company of the marks before AEW showed up. AEW pretty much showed up and instantly became the second biggest wrestling company in the North America which hurts the other wrestling companies perhaps even WWE.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Makes too much sense for them to not team up, New Japan would even be getting the better end of the deal tbh.

They'd be getting exposure on US TV. AEW would plug their network and upcoming events in Japan. They'd put over Okada as the GOAT.

Sounds too good to pass up.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
You have to understand Japanese culture, there's no point discussing this without it.

They value loyalty. a LOT. They invested heavily in Kenny with his Okada run and title reign. For him to decide not to re-sign breeds some hard feelings there.

That being said, they should be grateful too because if it weren't for Kenny I wouldn't have discovered NJPW and became a fan. They definitely gained from it too, even if they lost the chance to build on it.
Shibata had to work hard to re-earn NJPW's trust when he came back for example. Because they were still salty on him for walking out, even though the company was a mess at the time and he was being booked like crap under Inoki. And Kenny was being booked as their top foreign star, so I'd imagine him leaving didn't please them dither.

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts
Shibata had to work hard to re-earn NJPW's trust when he came back for example. Because they were still salty on him for walking out, even though the company was a mess at the time and he was being booked like crap under Inoki. And Kenny was being booked as their top foreign star, so I'd imagine him leaving didn't please them dither.
Kenneth's situation is definitely worse towards NJPW. Also, I prefer dither depending on which video game I am playing.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,400 Posts
I don’t know if NJPW is really mad at AEW, since they are allowing Jericho, Moxley and Omega to work NJPW shows while under contract to AEW.

So, if AEW can allow 3 of their stars to work NJPW, NJPW can allow 3 of their stars to work AEW. Okada, KENTA, and either Ospreay or Ibushi (since I think Ospreay also has a contract with ROH) would probably be the best bets for that happening.

I also don’t think it’s impossible to see Jushin Liger in AEW before he retires either. And maybe against Brian Pillman Jr., since I’ve seen it mentioned as a desired dream match for AEW tv on a few sites.

Basically, I think the whole NJPW & AEW feud is overblown. AEW is probably the closest thing to a New America Pro Wrestling (NAPW)/ NJPW USA anyways.
Uh, you won't be seeing contracted NJPW guys on AEW TV for a longgggggggg time. If ever. Probably never.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
They booked Kenny to win the G1, ME multiple Wrestle Kingdom shows, and end their ace's epic two year title reign. So while I can totally understand Kenny's reasons for leaving, I can also understand NJPW's saltines as well, it threw a wrench into their plans.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I wouldn't say its necessarily that, NJPW already has established North American partnerships that they can put their guys on, NJPW's goal is to simply expand into the West, not to destroy AEW

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
I wouldn't say its necessarily that, NJPW already has established North American partnerships that they can put their guys on, NJPW's goal is to simply expand into the West, not to destroy AEW
Kenny was the magnet to pull the viewers in. He's gone. It's a pretty big loss, although they definitely gained a foothold in America with the exposure he brought them.

It's not about the partnerships, it's about the talent. Kenny learned the language and was a bridge between cultures that is very hard to find, and nearly impossible to replace.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Losing Kenny Omega, especially, was a big hit to New Japan. They knew it was coming, or at least should have, and they really should have dumped ROH after the MSG show, but loyalty is a big thing in Japanese culture. ROH has done several things that you would think would warn away New Japan at this point, but they're not bailing. A lot of that is probably the CMLL connection too, but I'm not really sure how valuable that is at this point either.

When the next round of New Japan contracts come up and you have talent trying to work it in that they can work AEW as well, that is when things are going to get really interesting. You better believe that ZSJ, Juice Robinson and Will Ospreay are all considering heading there. They've got working relationships with Jericho and Moxley now, but what happens when they lean on that a little bit and say "Hey, if you want us to help out you, you need to help out us."

New Japan will be stubborn and try to get through their Dome shows without AEW help (beyond Jericho and Moxley), but I'd be very surprised if we don't see a Kenny Omega vs. Kota Ibushi match by the end of 2020.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Kenny was the biggest hit to New Japan. He gave a lot to that company and they clearly loved him. First foreign wrestler to win the G1. He was their biggest star arguably behind Okada and Tanahashi.

·
Registered
24,459 Posts
I don’t know if NJPW is really mad at AEW, since they are allowing Jericho, Moxley and Omega to work NJPW shows while under contract to AEW.

So, if AEW can allow 3 of their stars to work NJPW, NJPW can allow 3 of their stars to work AEW. Okada, KENTA, and either Ospreay or Ibushi (since I think Ospreay also has a contract with ROH) would probably be the best bets for that happening.

I also don’t think it’s impossible to see Jushin Liger in AEW before he retires either. And maybe against Brian Pillman Jr., since I’ve seen it mentioned as a desired dream match for AEW tv on a few sites.

Basically, I think the whole NJPW & AEW feud is overblown. AEW is probably the closest thing to a New America Pro Wrestling (NAPW)/ NJPW USA anyways.
Jericho and Omega already had history in NJPW and for Mox it's something he wanted to do when he left WWE. I don't believe it's a case of AEW "letting" NJPW use them. More a case of if AEW wanted to have these guys, they had to give them freedom to work NJPW when they wanted. Maybe not Omega since he's a founding member of The Elite, but absolutely for Mox and Jericho.

And you can see there's some tension on both sides. I remember when Omega and Jericho had their match at Double or Nothing. They always referred to this match as a rematch, but they never said where that 1st match took place. They had to talk around it in most cases. And you for sure don't hear the name "AEW" on a NJPW broadcast.

And again, guys like Omega, Mox, and Jericho had it written into their new contracts with AEW that they can work with NJPW. NJPW guys don't have that in their contracts until a working relationship is made between the 2 sides, which may be a long ways from ever happening.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts