Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always wondered this? I was only 13/14 during Goldberg's time in WWE but really enjoyed it as a kid, but having been a kid, couldn't really see any of the supposed 'problems' at a time. I assume it's mainly down to the way he was booked and used by the WWE?

One thing I will say is that his part in the elimination chamber match at Summerslam during his time with WWE where he came in and absolutely destroyed the shit out of everyone is one of my all time favourite wrestling memories. Incredible intensity and power.

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
If you actually look at Goldberg's run in WWE from the standpoint of his character, he did extremely well. He came in, defeated one of the biggest superstars in the industry in The Rock, steamrolled through Jericho, beat Triple H for the World Heavyweight Title, didn't get pinned to lose that belt, then beat Lesnar at WrestleMania 20.

The reason, however, why many consider it a disaster is because he was never a great worker and he didn't really put over anyone during his run. Also, the reason why Bill Goldberg, in real life, didn't like his character is because he felt WWE watered him down and didn't let him run through the roster like he did in WCW.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Goldberg was like Kratos back in WCW, whenever the music hit, it was like "OH SHIT DUDE"

Then .. they changed his theme, he looked a bit buffed down and wasn't as dominant-esque, when his music hit it was like "Oh look, it's Goldberg" but he still is one of my favs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think it was because he had already exhausted his beastly monstrous powers in the WCW and he just wasn't the same monster in the WWE. He could have been great still but Vince and him didn't see eye to eye on the way he should be booked and Vince was right in that he just wasn't the same undefeated monster that he once was in WCW.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
Everyone felt that he wasn't used to his full potential. He really only feuded with Triple H and did nothing outside of beating The Rock and winning the World Heavyweight title. Also, what could he have really accomplished in one year? Raw was a boring show with no one interesting outside of Triple H, Booker T, HBK, and Kane. The Rock was gone, Austin retired, HBK wasn't really doing anything, Booker T was buried at WM 19, Kane was useless once he removed his mask, and Chris Jericho had been in mic card hell since 2002. There was nothing for him to do. He really should've moved to SD! and started feuding with Angle and Lesnar. Besides, once he lost that WHC in December, he did nothing worthwhile afterwards. Let's not forget his horrible match with Lesnar at WM 20. Once again, outside of feuding with Triple H, there was nothing for him to do. And even then, the feud with Triple H was pretty lackluster to be honest. Also, he wasn't the same monster who ran through everyone in WCW. He did accomplish more in his first year than anyone else not named Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar but it was just very lackluster. His matches weren't that great and he did nothing that really stood out outside of beating The Rock at Backlash and even then, the match wasn't that impressive.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Because he was a prick.

·
Administrator
59,121 Posts
Triple H put a damper on his run really. He should of won the World title at Summerslam, but instead he got beat down by Evolution and was forced to expose a weakness. Then he won the next PPV, which was fine & dandy. But of course he would lose it three months later. All that title lost did was put everything in perspective.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
He had a very good career considering he was only on a 1-year contract.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quality input on the subject, well done fucktard.
But... he was :(

Or that's how it seemed to me, he was just power hungry and wanted to never come up on the losing end, to constantly win, and never show any weakness, c'mon, that's no good for anybody. So he leaves, having put no one over, nor had any decent or memorable (for the right reasons) matches, pissed off that he wasnt given enough despite being given everything.

That my friend... is a prick.

·
Administrator
59,121 Posts
But... he was :(

Or that's how it seemed to me, he was just power hungry and wanted to never come up on the losing end, to constantly win, and never show any weakness, c'mon, that's no good for anybody. So he leaves, having put no one over, nor had any decent or memorable (for the right reasons) matches, pissed off that he wasnt given enough despite being given everything.

That my friend... is a prick.
He had a signed contract for specific dates. He didn't work anything more than his contract said (unless more money was shipped out) and it upset a lot of wrestlers. Goldberg has always been that way. I wouldn't call him a prick though. He wasn't suppose to get beat or put anyone over.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
He had a signed contract for specific dates. He didn't work anything more than his contract said and it upset a lot of wrestlers. Goldberg has always been that way. I wouldn't call him a prick though. He wasn't suppose to get beat or put anyone over.

Well that's fair enough if that is what he was contracted, to never get beat, and to decimate and put down everyone else on the roster. But that he wanted more than what he got, which was a lot, doesn't give me the best impression of a person.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Goldberg was great. i was glued 24/7 on WWE when he was in roster, now only maybe 12/7 :)

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
When he debuted in WCW out of the power plant from the NFL he was in the right place at the right time. When he went to WWE it was the wrong place at the wrong time. He viewed himself as a big star and WWE viewed him as a big star and fans wanted to see him back but he just never fit in the mix as a big star and was unmotivated and had no reason to come back. He stunk it up and admits it. On top of that he went through all the same issues as he did in WCW that came with being a big star only in WWE he was not in his natural habitat anymore.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Of course nobody would let him come in, destroy everybody and then leave when his contract expired and that's what Goldberg apparently wanted to do.

A wrestler whose gimmick is that he's unbeatable is worthless to any company.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Triple H put a damper on his run really. He should of won the World title at Summerslam, but instead he got beat down by Evolution and was forced to expose a weakness. Then he won the next PPV, which was fine & dandy. But of course he would lose it three months later. All that title lost did was put everything in perspective.
actually the summerslam lost got Triple h a lot of heat especially since everyone was expecting Berg to win , so it wasn't a bad move , kind of like WM 16 , they could've had the Rock win the belt but they postponed it , gained Trips mega heat , and then had rock win it at Backlash and the pay off was sweet and epic

and as for the bolded , it was because he refused to renew his contract

according to Berg he feels that WWE mistreated him

frankly , Goldberg strikes me as a spoiled brat when he says that he hated his WWE run , i mean within one year he won his debut match against the company's biggest star at the time , had a three month world title reign , went over the company's most hated heel many times , destroyed and went through the roster and was treated like a king , lost only one singles match in one year , refused to add in some extra appearances during his final two months , and on top of that he won his last match

so was pushed to the moon and had a comfortable schedule with lots of money , i don't get why he said shit like that

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
actually the summerslam lost got Triple h a lot of heat especially since everyone was expecting Berg to win , so it wasn't a bad move , kind of like WM 16 , they could've had the Rock win the belt but they postponed it , gained Trips mega heat , and then had rock win it at Backlash and the pay off was sweet and epic

frankly , Goldberg strikes me as a spoiled brat when he says that he hated his WWE run , i mean within one year he won his debut match against the company's biggest star at the time , had a three month world title reign , went over the company's most hated heel many times , destroyed and went through the roster and was treated like a king , lost only one singles match in one year , refused to add in some extra appearances during his final two months , and on top of that he won his last match

so was pushed to the moon and had a comfortable schedule with lots of money , i don't get why he said shit like that
Because he didn't get to destroy the whole roster like he did in WCW.

·
Registered
180 Posts
actually the summerslam lost got Triple h a lot of heat especially since everyone was expecting Berg to win , so it wasn't a bad move
It was not by choice. Original program for summerslam was HHH-Goldberg and HHH was set to lose the title.
HHH injured his groin muscle in a house show a month before the PPV, couldnt wrestle, wanted to relinquish the title but vince and eric thought that would suck for golberg, so postponed the program to Unforgiven.

If you watch the chamber, HHH doesnt wrestle at all until the end. He barely does 2 moves in the final 2 mins of the match. He was in obvious pain during the match. Thats also the reason he was wearing those long weird looking shorts to the ring to hide the injury.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts

What singles match did he lose? I remember him losing at the Elimination Chamber, a handicap match against Evolution, and the triple threat at Armageddon. Was it on some Raw?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts