Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of us here can agree that nobody wants to see Jerry Lawler The Great Khali and Santino Marella in a position to win a WWE title opportunity. I understand why these guys are good entertainers and can be very useful in an under card role (well not really in the case of Khali, but whatever), nonetheless though, this just proves that were severely lacking depth. This is in the Raw section, but it's certainly a reality for Smackdown as well.

Okay let's go back to last night. You have Khali vs Kane. For starters, who wants to see that match... like seriously. Two, everybody knows Khali doesn't have a chance in but it becomes apparent that Kane isn't beating the clock with his current momentum now combined with the fact that his only opposion is Khali.. it wouldn't justify a title match. What I wonder is why a guy like Brodus Clay wouldn't be used in this situation. He was on the show and doing nothing of importance. He's coming off his biggest win a pro, and the man he defeated was in the beat the clock challenge last night. If the WWE is so insistent on pushing him as a face why not give him an opportunity versus Kane as opposed Khali? It's a match we've never seen before, gives Brodus a challenge, and it's something different for him to do. The match was a no contest anyways so you could even save face for him but not having him get defeated, while still giving him momentum just by being placed in that situation and looking strong against Kane.

It's a matter of booking of lack of talent? Because one of the better talents the WWE has was being wasted in a tag title match that could have happend any week or even on Raw. Kofi Kingston is over and great mid carder, but they treat him like shit. Why can't they at least even place him the beat the clock challenge? A guy like this should be given a title shot on a random Monday Night Raw of these days, because even if they have no significant plans for him, he would be a much bigger threat and more useful asset if the people were given a reason to tag him seriously.

Almost done here so hold yours horses people. Zach Ryder, Mason Ryan, Alex Riley... remember those guys? Why give them a push... if you don't eeven think their good enough for TV!? It's outrageous, because you waste time building up 3 faces, and pretty much wipe them off the face of the earth once their beginning to establish themselves. Your never going build depth behind 4 big faces if you continue to do such things.

I liked the Royal Rumble this year, but I'm not very interested in seeing matches like that filled with half the entrants being comedy acts and/or retired. Time to build some talent, especially mid card faces.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
wwe does'nt push anybody thats why lol

and they let guys worth a damn like carlito,morrison,kennedy,MVP Go

·
Banned
882 Posts
Depth is in the eye of the beholder. Some say it is lacking, others say it's fine. I personally think it is lacking a bit, but it's not as bad as some say.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
From This week's rating -

Chris Jericho vs. Big Show and JTG vs. Brodus Clay gained 282,000 viewers.
Kane vs. The Great Khali gained 81,000 viewers.
Seems like Casual do like them. I am not defending kane/khali/Brodus, they are annoying and shit in the ring but YOU and I dont matter, casual fans are the ones that bring money so..

The problem with WWE is not Roster Depth, its the lack of a FUCKING MID CARD. There is no mid card that matters. They need to sort it out.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Flip-flop booking makes it hard to get over. How can anyone expect guys like Kofi Kingston, Alex Riley, or R-Truth to get over when they win, then lose, then win, then lose. Looking at this from a casual perspective, who do you cheer for? Do you cheer for the guy that wins several matches and has a chance to win the title, aka The New England Patriots or John Cena, or do you cheer for the guy that has a .500 record at best, aka The Buffalo Bills or Alex Riley. Casuals like winners. People love winners. You don't get fans if you don't win. Unless the wrestler is incredibly talented, they will not get over without winning.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Because everytime they try to push somebody new, they screw it up somehow. Or they depush the wrestler for some stupid political reason. The WWE has been better about it recently, but they are being forced now. They have to get new wrestlers over. They don't have guys like Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Edge and Triple H to rely on now.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
The answer to that is obvious. Lack of pushing a large enough variety of people, and lack of talent and/or development. Why else would depth suck?

As for using Brodus vs Kane. . .how does that help Brodus? Losing and getting trashed doesn't help him. He's pretty much looking beast right now. Going up against Kane and losing would hurt his current image and perception.

Seems like Casual do like them. I am not defending kane/khali/Brodus, they are annoying and shit in the ring but YOU and I dont matter, casual fans are the ones that bring money so..

The problem with WWE is not Roster Depth, its the lack of a FUCKING MID CARD. There is no mid card that matters. They need to sort it out.
How many viewers gained can sometimes be deceptive. Certain periods in the show can gain viewers due to the timeslot, not the activity on the show. Matches on the hour, or taking place during commercial of the NBA playoffs for example, may gain "lost viewers" who tuned out from previous points in the show.

Not saying that's definitely what happened, but sometimes with the sub 100,000 viewers gained, that can sometimes be the cause.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
They job out their midcard and I don't think they realise the negative effect it has making these guys lose. I mean when was the last time any of these guys picked up a meaningful victory?

Rhodes
Kingston
Swagger
Miz
Ziggler
Ryder

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
It's because there are no territorys etc for wrestlers to hone their craft and develop their characters.

Now it is done on the fly and wrestlers have 2 or more gimmicks in the first year or two of debuting, it's bullshit really, they should have a developed character and sufficient knowledge of the business.

you cant rest on your laurels and do the same shit every week. It doesn't work and you will soon know about it.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I think the depth is fine I just think the booking is awful.

Swagger, Ziggler, Rhodes, Cessaro, Ryback, Gabriel, McIntyre, Slater would have all been better options than JKL.

I think it was a way of making all the other guys in the back who took part not look weak.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Well, there's a reason WWE started putting ex ROH and other indy guys like Moxley in FCW and on the main show realizing that their former talent evaluation didn't go anywhere. As someone said, there's no territories anymore so if you're going to prepare your skills before coming to WWE, the indies and TNA are your best bet. There's a lot of decent guys around, but few who are really good and must-see worthy and this is what is hurting WWE. To top it off, WWE has a very cheesy way of displaying a persons character, they're very superficial nowadays and hard to relate to, they simply lack depth. Even John Morrison, one of the worst mic workers in the whole company while he was there recently had some entertaining mini-movie segment which shows how bad WWE creative is nowadays with playing to a wrestlers strength and bringing their characters to life. Scott Steiner and Steve Austin mentioned that aswell in the past, Steiner was complaining for getting scripts when he came to WWE, stating that 4 guys wrote them for the whole roster and Austin also mentioned that you can't really go all too far in character development and freedom if others are dictating you around how to behave on TV, if that was the case there would have never been a Stone Cold, Nature Boy, The Rock and others.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Depth isn't lacking really, just what we get to see is lacking. Like people said before, no territories can make for a long building process. Also, creative only working on 3-5 guys out of whole roster is not helping. When was the last time someone not in the WWE/WHC title picture was in a major storyline?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Depth isn't lacking really, just what we get to see is lacking. Like people said before, no territories can make for a long building process. Also, creative only working on 3-5 guys out of whole roster is not helping. When was the last time someone not in the WWE/WHC title picture was in a major storyline?
Lesnar, Cena, Rock, Orton, Kane, Rhodes, Show

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Depth itself is alright, its more about hwo the depth is being used (or misued if you want ot put it that way)

The WWE mid/lower cards have bee nnearly void of any real "storylines" or real in depth fueds. And these are the things that get guys over. Depth seems to be lacking b/c if a guy is not one of the main guys on the roster involved in one of the 2 or 3 main storylines he will just be used in random matches or very basic non indepth storylines/feuds

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
Just gotta get dat Cena over

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Because no one other than Cena, Punk, Jericho and a returning legend of the week gets air time. No storylines or anything where they would get a chance to build their characters and connect to the fans, and God forbid actually try to get a chance to be a maineventer one day.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts

Don't bunch Kane with Brodus and Khali.. He's significantly better.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lesnar, Cena, Rock, Orton, Kane, Rhodes, Show
All but Rhodes have been involved in WWE/WHC title picture before. If you count Rhodes' "dashing" gimmick/storyline as major, I will have to excuse from the conversation.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts