Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 21 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shouldn't he join his brother and maybe compete for the tag titles? What sense does it make that he is competing as a singles wrestler? What sense does his ranking mean? Even if it gets erased next year, what does it matter? If he's ranked first again, he gets no title shot right?

·
Listen to me, When the times comes, you gotta run
527 Posts
A midcard title is wrestling and even if he can't wrestle for the World Title he will still be the #1 contender for the midcard one if and when that comes

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
He should do like Omega and get an outside company title to defend on AEW television. Omega is a better fit for AAA's Mega title and wrestling style of the company. Cody going after the NWA title again would have made some sense, but Corgan has taken NWA too nichy imo.

He can justify remaining a singles wrestler as it's about the competition for him. If he can't hold the title, he could still rack up wins and be #1 ranked, and could still beat the guy that eventually dethrones Jericho and know he could be champ.

Also I hope AEW runs a big tournament each year - a lot like G1 - where winning the tournament is the prize in and of itself.

The added stipulation was a mistake, it should have been time limited if Cody was intent in adding more drama to the match and MJF heel turn. I don't know how it could have been worded, but should have been a three year title shot ban or something. Maybe say "I'll never challenge for the title under my current contract" or something.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I hope they find some way around it because it's a stupid stipulation. He's one of the best guys on the roster.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,379 Posts
It was a stupid stipulation to even make and now they are in a hole. The crowd were already invested in Jericho vs Cody, they did not need that tacked on last minute.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Because its a story that will be playing out? ??‍♂

Currently he wants revenge on MJF and now BBB - why wouldn’t he want to fight them?

in singles, tags, trios - whatever.

we can get back to titles later once they reverse the stip - which we all know they will

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah I’m surprised so many people took the stipulation to heart. It’s a pro wrestling angle lol that shit will be reversed when the time is right.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
It was a stupid stipulation to even make and now they are in a hole. The crowd were already invested in Jericho vs Cody, they did not need that tacked on last minute.
Yep. No reason to have to add the extra heat on the match. I mean I guess it was to add heat more to the feud with MJF that would come out of it. But the thing of it is, Cody has nobody to blame but himself for the stip, and was in tough shape during the match to the point it was far from certain he could have even got out of the Walls of Jericho (kayfabe).

So it doesn't add any heat to either feud, just makes Cody look like a moron. I mean I guess it did add to some around here believing that Cody might actually win, but I never wavered on Jericho was always going to retain.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,621 Posts
Yeah they can say all they want hes never gonna challenge for the title but there is no way Cody never gets the title. Even if its something like a tourney where technically there is no champion if the title is vacant or Dustin gives up his career to allow Cody to challenge. Something will happen.

·
Southern Pride
2,824 Posts
They will figure out a way to get out of that stipulation eventually. Maybe once Jericho is no longer the Champion.

For now though he wants revenge on MJF. It makes sense for him to be active in singles. He has only had 1 match since Full Gear anyway.

Then they will find some other feud for him to be involved in after and it can be about pride for Cody.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,899 Posts
Do you really think they haven’t thought this through? Just because he tacked it on at the last minute doesn’t mean he only came up with it at the last minute. Jericho says his direction is laid out through at least February, others have said a general direction has been set for the next year. No way they just threw in this stip without a good reason and/or an out.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Instant gratification and short attention spans. These guys are very much into long form storytelling and have everything planned out already. Tony said during the summer they had the stories already written until the end of the year. Jericho just said in an interview he knows what he's doing until the end of Feb at least. AEW can and will adjust based on what they are seeing but general story will go down as written.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I think Cody knows he’s seen as management and wants to make it clear he won’t be holding the title anytime soon. Obviously they will find a way around it if need be in the future.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Instant gratification and short attention spans. These guys are very much into long form storytelling and have everything planned out already. Tony said during the summer they had the stories already written until the end of the year. Jericho just said in an interview he knows what he's doing until the end of Feb at least. AEW can and will adjust based on what they are seeing but general story will go down as written.
They say that but then on the other hand Cody is rushing through feuds, MJF should have happened 6-12 months from now, instead Cody has a 1 month feud then goes on to feud with someone else, hopefully they prove me wrong in 12 months though with better story telling.

·
5,379 Posts
Do you really think they haven’t thought this through? Just because he tacked it on at the last minute doesn’t mean he only came up with it at the last minute. Jericho says his direction is laid out through at least February, others have said a general direction has been set for the next year. No way they just threw in this stip without a good reason and/or an out.
Yes. Why would you do this to yourself? Now you either have to go back on your stipulation (a very WWE thing) or Cody can never wrestle for the title again. I'm not too concerned with people telling me their direction is layed out. Show me, don't tell me.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Yes. Why would you do this to yourself? Now you either have to go back on your stipulation (a very WWE thing) or Cody can never wrestle for the title again. I'm not to concerned with people telling me their direction is layed out. Show me, don't tell me.
They will show you..... in time.

are you one of those guys that wanted to know exactly what the smoke monster was already in season 1 of Lost?

·
5,379 Posts
They will show you..... in time.
OK, I hope so, but I don't see an out here that will be satisfying. You've also got to acknowledge sometimes in television and wrestling things can be a lose-lose situation? Booking yourself into a corner is real, no company is immune. Generally, there are two outs to this situation. 1) Cody never wrestles for the title again, 2) They break their stipulation. Neither sound great to me.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
OK, I hope so, but I don't see an out here that will be satisfying. You've also got to acknowledge sometimes in television and wrestling things can be a lose-lose situation? Booking yourself into a corner is real, no company is immune. Generally, there are two outs to this situation. 1) Cody never wrestles for the title again, 2) They break their stipulation. Neither sound great to me.
IMO there are 2 great outs

1. He is number 1 in the rankings, and refuses to challenge for the title. Heel champ does everything in his power to make him accept a challenge (as he says Cody is hiding behind the stip) - like almost kill Dustin or whatever. Until he reluctantly accepts the challenge and wins to a massive pop

2. He turns mega-heel sometime in the future and goes against the stip to massive heat

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If he can just change his mind when he turns heel then what is even the point of this stipulation? It should be enforced by the company and not up to the wrestler to enforce it himself.

1 - 21 of 30 Posts