Wrestling Forum banner

Why is _________ your favourite wrestler?

2029 Views 32 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Osize10
Chris Jericho is mine. I remember watching this promo live and thinking at the time…'oh my god, Jericho's right, Undertaker is a dumbass!!'

This basically got Jericho so much heat in the locker room.

This is how this went down.

Jericho debuted in 1999 on August 9th in a promo against The Rock. The very next week he did his shtick again, this time against The Undertaker/Big Show tag team combination.

Jericho's promo came across really well against The Rock because The Rock was genuinely entertaining on the microphone that night and got people excited. Jericho was saying outlandish things that you simply couldn't agree with. The Rock was an idiot and boring and couldn't draw and had no personality, you simply couldn't believe it. So although Jericho buried the entire roster, The Rock was a representation of how talented the WWF was at the time and Jericho's inaccuracy allowed the promo to run smoothly. Jericho came across slightly delusional and hung with The Rock on the mic and The Rock kicked ass and owned Jericho.

Then this happened.

Undertaker cut a 5 minute promo about taking Big Show on a ride to the desert with the motorbike. It's 120 degrees in death valley, the snakes and the lizards are there and Big Show is only allowed to have enough gas to get to the middle of the desert but not enough gas to get back. Undertaker asks him, 'it's 120 degrees, how are you going to survive?' Big Show apparently said he'll cut Undertaker's flesh and make a coat out of it whilst Big Show eats his remains. JR and Lawler and pretty much saying 'ummm wtf?' with their commentary. Undertaker said back to Big Show, 'that's good big man, but I don't sleep'. Undertaker drove off and picked Big Show up a few days later and Big Show had a rattlesnake scarf and a motorbike on his shoulder.

Undertaker cut basically the shittest promo of his life.

Chris Jericho probably planned the promo before knowing how shit Undertaker was going to be that night, Jericho comes out, HUGE POP! … Here's the transcript of what he said.

Chris Jericho: Welcome to Raw Is Jericho. And this is exactly what I was talking about last week. You two giant slugs have been out here for what? 3-4 minutes…And already you forced these poor people to drift off into their own little worlds, completely oblivious to what you're saying…

*gigantic cheers by the crowd*

and completely oblivious to you. I mean you two morons couldn't string together two intelligent words and I was forced too come out here and save this segment.

Jerry Lawler at the time says, 'oh my'. And you know at that time The King was with it. He knew what was going down.

Personification of evil? I say personification of boredom! The only thing scary about you two is the amount of TV time you get which causes the people to get the remote and change the channel looking for a hero. Well stop changing the channel looking for a hero, your hero has arrived! Chris Jericho has come to save the WWF.

Undertaker was visibly red faced, Jericho took a massive dump on him that night right after coming in from WCW.

Jericho ends the promo by saying…

"…to all the idiots in the dressing room, and especially these two, the two biggest idiots of them all, will never, be the same again!'
Jericho was basically God after that and no promo in my opinion can touch this, no one has ever embarrassed the Undertaker legit like that and gotten away with it by becoming the first ever undisputed champion. This is why Jericho's GOAT to me. :faint::p
See less
Reactions: Enigmal
Chris Jericho is mine. I remember watching this promo live and thinking at the time…'oh my god, Jericho's right, Undertaker is a dumbass!!'

Jericho debuted in 1999 on August 9th in a promo against The Rock. The very next week he did his shtick again, this time against The Undertaker/Big Show tag team combination.

Jericho's promo came across really well against The Rock because The Rock was genuinely...
See more
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Where were you while we were getting high?
1,722 Posts
CM Punk . I loved his Straight Edge character in ROH and the matches he had with the likes of Samoa Joe are priceless (and they will no doubt stand the test of time). He made ECW worth watching, I stopped watching Raw when he was only on Smackdown! and I hope he comes back with the same love for wrestling that he once had.

· Registered
2,369 Posts
Bret Hart is my favorite. I remember him being one of the first wrestlers I saw when I was a kid and thinking he looked really cool, then getting completely enthralled by his story lines. I used to jump around the house when he won and crying when he lost. Watching him as an adult I almost get transported back to those times, and I appreciate his wrestling ability

· Banned
1,929 Posts
Chris jericho because he is one of the best overall talents of all time. entertaining segments, great matches, good as heel and face, puts people over (although too much), and seems like a great and fun person to hang out with

· WeeWoo WeeWoo
22,510 Posts
My favorite talent of all time is the Undertaker. Dude always impressed me, even before I really got into wrestling. I'm a newer consecutive fan and it started last year at Old School Raw. I went with a friend and family member who were/are much bigger fans than me. The entire show was pretty entertaining, but when the gong hit and Taker came out to face with CM Punk, I knew I was gonna be hooked on it. There's just something so special and phenomenal that I don't think I could ever put a talent above him.

· Registered
10,112 Posts
Chris Jericho because he's simply the best in the world at what he does.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Ric Flair because he had great matches, great interviews, tons of charisma, a winning character and seemed to be the one constant in wrestling during my first 21 years as a fan.

Funny thing is I was always more of a WWF guy than a WCW/NWA guy but I loved Flair.

The Funk feud in 1989 put him in all time favorite contention. Winning the 1992 Rumble got him that spot. He's never relinquished it.

· Premium Member
20,269 Posts
All time, it's Bret Hart. He was my hero as a kid. I never liked super heroes and quickly stopped caring about the standard larger than life, cartoon gimmicks. I gravitated to guys like Bret, Shawn Michaels and Mr Perfect.

But it was Bret who always did the right thing, fought his heart out and loved his fans. He was a real life role model and hero without having Hogan's muscles or facepaint like the Warrior.

And then it happened; my first live experience. House show in November 1992. My parents surprised me with this, as well as a Bret Hart shirt and the pink sunglasses as an early Christmas gift. I was sold. Just sitting there in awe as Bret beat Ric Flair was just incredible... That's my homie.

· Registered
19,744 Posts
Shawn Michaels. He could make me laugh, he could make my cry, he convince me he was a *** but then five minutes later convince he was the greatest man that ever lived. And he had some alright matches.

· Crowley's Minion
1,222 Posts
John Cena, hands down one of the most entertaining guys and one of the best in the ring I've seen in 13 years that I've been a pro wrestling fan. Whilst people may scoff at this and think it's crazy, I've always found myself not only entertained but impressed with his ability to go from jokes and laughter to a damn hard worker in the ring and on the mic.

I honestly believe that a lot of people over-look Cena because of their hate for his gimmick and the whole Super Cena thing. No doubt he's coming towards the end of his career and an obvious HoF induction but I wouldn't be surprised to see the guy go till he's 42 or something until he has to give up because of all the hell he puts himself through.

· Registered
289 Posts

Jericho's promo came across really well against The Rock because The Rock was genuinely entertaining on the microphone that night and got people excited. Jericho was saying outlandish things that you simply couldn't agree with. The Rock was an idiot and boring and couldn't draw and had no personality, you simply couldn't believe it. So although Jericho buried the entire roster, The Rock was a representation of how talented the WWF was at the time and Jericho's inaccuracy allowed the promo to run smoothly. Jericho came across slightly delusional and hung with The Rock on the mic and The Rock kicked ass and owned Jericho.

Then this happened.

Undertaker cut a 5 minute promo about taking Big Show on a ride to the desert with the motorbike. It's 120 degrees in death valley, the snakes and the lizards are there and Big Show is only allowed to have enough gas to get to the middle of the desert but not enough gas to get back. Undertaker asks him, 'it's 120 degrees, how are you going to survive?' Big Show apparently said he'll cut Undertaker's flesh and make a coat out of it whilst Big Show eats his remains. JR and Lawler and pretty much saying 'ummm wtf?' with their commentary. Undertaker said back to Big Show, 'that's good big man, but I don't sleep'. Undertaker drove off and picked Big Show up a few days later and Big Show had a rattlesnake scarf and a motorbike on his shoulder.

Undertaker cut basically the shittest promo of his life.

Chris Jericho probably planned the promo before knowing how shit Undertaker was going to be that night, Jericho comes out, HUGE POP! … Here's the transcript of what he said.

Jericho was basically God after that and no promo in my opinion can touch this, no one has ever embarrassed the Undertaker legit like that and gotten away with it by becoming the first ever undisputed champion. This is why Jericho's GOAT to me. :faint::p
I always laugh at fans who swallow this up as if it were a shoot. Do your really think that the guy just walked into the WWE and just on a whim cut this promo on Taker that would be insulting or embarrassing WITHOUT it being a work? I know fans like to see it that way but it wasn't. Taker was a major heel back then and Rock was cutting a bunch of promos on him in this sort of vein. The whole idea was for Taker to go out and tell this long, rambling story that put everyone to sleep simply so Jericho could come out and shit all over it to huge pops. And it worked beautifully. Taker put Jericho over HUGE here... don't kid yourself and think that it wasn't scripted. When had Taker ever told such a long story about motorcycle rides in the past (or ever since)? The promo was "the shittiest promo of his life" because that's how it was designed to come across.

I don't believe for a second when Jericho tries to play it up as if it was some sort of work in his book like "I was so afraid it would get me heat" like he's this huge daring badass that took a chance against Taker. And I like Jericho too, but really.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.