Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
before everyone hates my post I have made the effort the last 2 months to watch TNA religiously and give it a legit shot to earn my fandom. It did not.

Of course all negatives should include positives, and for TNA I found multiple positives.

Pros:
#1. Bully Ray-This guy has really embraced his character and for a guy I saw wrestle in 1994 in ECW in a smelly gym-I'm glad to see someone like him make some money. His character is spot on.
#2. Wrestling-Overall, I give a slight edge of actual wrestling to TNA compared to its rival WWE.
#3. PPV Quality-TNA really tries hard to deliver here. It feels like TNA performers understand fans are paying to watch what they are seeing. WWE just doesn't seem to care and is too busy protecting their "Superstars" to ensure their not injured. With TNA-They go all out-like Era Attitude WWE back between 2001-2005.
#4. Sting-The Undertaker of WCW/TNA-Still entertaining.

Of course, and here comes the hate..The negatives:
#1. It's NOT LIVE: WWE Raw is a must watch for WWE fans. It's live, unpredictable. It's just far too easy to google search TNA results. Yes I know SD! isn't live, but it has its nitch-it's the kids WWE show airing on friday at 8pm. 8-12 year olds will tune in religiously, and the ratings show this as SD! is one of the top 3 ratings draw on SyFy.

#2. Production-Overall, when watching TNA it just comes off very cheap. I'll elaborate by subarticle:
A: TV, Announcers and Display: The laser shows, same arena and terrible announce team is the biggest issue. Tenay should be gone-at least bring someone in better. TAZ is terrible as well. Yes we know Booker T, King etc are no better but it is what is it.
B: Music-This is what bothers me most-Wrestlers for TNA come out with terrible music. ALL OF IT sounds like cheap garbage. Add in the laser show from 1998, and their you go.
C: ALL ANGLES ARE A WORK SHOOT: Shaky camera, "blaming the company".. It's just terrible. All backstage angles are treated like a "secret hidden camera". For a company that claims "wrestling matters" its apparent "storylines that suck" are just as important. Just have a segment-not everything needs to be portrayed like its a shoot.

Haters begin.

·
Self High Five!
146 Posts
I agree with the announcing. It really is awful!

Tenay and Tazz do nothing to get you pumped for the matches, sometimes there will be a big move and a couple seconds of 'dead air' which is the worst. Atleast sell whats happening in the ring. I would much rather see those 2 gone, instead of the whole get rid of Hogan/Bischoff thing...

I've said it before. Bischoff as main announcing could work. Look at the early days of Nitro when it had just started, he used to pump the show up all the time, and make it feel like you had to watch it, like it was the greatest show ever. Where the big boys play and all that shizz.

Maybe he's not the greatest announcer compared to some, but he's already at the company, and has plenty of experience from WcW. Give him a chance!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hello everyone,

#1. Bully Ray-This guy has really embraced his character and for a guy I saw wrestle in 1994 in ECW in a smelly gym-I'm glad to see someone like him make some money. His character is spot on.

Disagree he is overrated when it comes to the IWC.He should be putting people over

#2. Wrestling-Overall, I give a slight edge of actual wrestling to TNA compared to its rival WWE.

Agreed.

#3. PPV Quality-TNA really tries hard to deliver here. It feels like TNA performers understand fans are paying to watch what they are seeing. WWE just doesn't seem to care and is too busy protecting their "Superstars" to ensure their not injured. With TNA-They go all out-like Era Attitude WWE back between 2001-2005.

Valid points here but overall WWE PPV's>>>>TNA ones

#4. Sting-The Undertaker of WCW/TNA-Still entertaining.

True

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why any should care if you like tna...............................................................I thought people watched wrestling for the wrestling?...right?

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
Bully Ray puts a lot of people over. Iirc someone did W/L records from impact on here and Ray was towards the bottom. He's more than happy to let his opponent win in feuds. It speaks volumes for the quality of his heel character that he can win so little and yet still be seen as a threat or a good opponent for a face to go over against.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Bischoff just got written of television from the conclusion of the Garett feud. What do you want him to do, just casually make his way to the commentating booth?

If there was any possibility that Eric was going to commentary, then they wouldn't have booted him from TNA (kayfabe).

·
Registered
270 Posts
The one thing TNA could do better that they don't even try is something very fundamental that made ECW very successful, and that is hiding the things that make you look like "2nd best". There's no way they could ever compete with WWE in production values like lights, pyro, and things like that, which is why it comes across as "cheap". TNA shouldn't even attempt it, and instead just simply focus on what they are good at, like their in-ring wrestling performances. Watching TNA really looks like a poor man's WCW Nitro, and that's not a good thing. They would save a lot of money cutting cost in that area too. ROH does a fantastic job with this type of mentality, actually.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
The fact that TNA keeps promising changes and to better the product while still ignoring keys issues that make the product suck balls is quite halirious and sad at the same time. How hard is it to give Tenay, Taz, and Hemme their pink slips and offer something WWE isn't? Imagine a mainstream pro wrestling promotion with the likes of a guy like Mike Quackenbush and Excalibur calling the action while Lenne Hardt does the ring announcing? JUST THAT RIGHT THERE would give TNA a WHOLE new feel to the product and damn sure different then WWE.

But TNA is a 21st century wrestling company with a 20th century business model and outlook on the business so I am not surprised they have tossed their money at Hemme, Taz, and Tenay to be the voices of their product.

The one thing TNA could do better that they don't even try is something very fundamental that made ECW very successful, and that is hiding the things that make you look like "2nd best". There's no way they could ever compete with WWE in production values like lights, pyro, and things like that, which is why it comes across as "cheap". TNA shouldn't even attempt it, and instead just simply focus on what they are good at, like their in-ring wrestling performances. Watching TNA really looks like a poor man's WCW Nitro, and that's not a good thing. They would save a lot of money cutting cost in that area too. ROH does a fantastic job with this type of mentality, actually.
TNA has done a good job on cutting out the roman candle shit. But I do agree the setup needs a massive overhaul. For YEARS pro wrestling on television has consisted of: a ramp, giant screen(s) playing an entrance video for the wrestler(s), and a stage. A new standard is needed. I was watching some old TNA the other day when they had their two ramp entrances and I thought that the heel ramp looked much better then the face ramp (and I always thought that) and how much better the entrances would have looked if TNA combined the little lighting they had instead of spreading it out. Same thing applies today. I would love to see TNA get rid of the standard wrestling entrance setup and do something a bit different.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
I find TNAs storylines boring, I only care about A Double vs Bully Ray. Probably worse than Smackdown currently, and that's saying something with ADR and Sheamus tanking the shows popularity like only RVD could. The company is seriously underperforming, apart from Brock and D Bryan all my favourite guys are in TNA, yet the show still isn't that interesting, it's gotta be an art in itself to be boring despite guys like Joe, AJ, A Double and Magnus running wild on that program. Honestly, that's all the arguments I need, no need to breakdown several irrelevant details, if the storylines are a DUD nothing else matters. You could have the greatest productions, a great live audience and the best commentators ever and it would still be boring, you can put a strawberry on a pile of shit, but it will still be shit.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Bottom line is TNA destroyed everything that made it original. They mistreat the X- Division guys and abandoned the 6-sided ring.

TNA looks second-rate because it attempts to be something it isn't. Its not WWE so they shouldn't try to bring a WWE feel to their product. They keep changing the name (its weird we still call it TNA but the name is officially changed to Impact Wrestling) and he motto to attempt to legitimize the company. You can name a pig Brandon, its still a fucking pig and that's what TNA has to realize.

When TNA lost focus on being an alternative and instead decided to be competition (which is partially the fault of TNA marks & WWE haters) they lost A LOT of the things that made them special and different.

The tagline is "where wrestling matters!" but they have taken a completely WWE approach to wrestling and that's by putting it second to silly segments and multiple long winded promos. Wrestling mattered to TNA 6-7 years ago, not now.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Of course, and here comes the hate..The negatives:
#1. It's NOT LIVE: WWE Raw is a must watch for WWE fans. It's live, unpredictable. It's just far too easy to google search TNA results. Yes I know SD! isn't live, but it has its nitch-it's the kids WWE show airing on friday at 8pm. 8-12 year olds will tune in religiously, and the ratings show this as SD! is one of the top 3 ratings draw on SyFy.

#2. Production-Overall, when watching TNA it just comes off very cheap. I'll elaborate by subarticle:
A: TV, Announcers and Display: The laser shows, same arena and terrible announce team is the biggest issue. Tenay should be gone-at least bring someone in better. TAZ is terrible as well. Yes we know Booker T, King etc are no better but it is what is it.
B: Music-This is what bothers me most-Wrestlers for TNA come out with terrible music. ALL OF IT sounds like cheap garbage. Add in the laser show from 1998, and their you go.
C: ALL ANGLES ARE A WORK SHOOT: Shaky camera, "blaming the company".. It's just terrible. All backstage angles are treated like a "secret hidden camera". For a company that claims "wrestling matters" its apparent "storylines that suck" are just as important. Just have a segment-not everything needs to be portrayed like its a shoot.

Haters begin.
I agree on points 1, 2a and 2b. Show needs to be live but I acknowledge its probably too expensive. Still nonetheless being live and on the road would make it seem a lot more like must-watch TV. I also agree that the announcers are awful. They really need to shake things up. Tenay is just about tolerable if he's with someone good. The only time Taz is good is in Kurt Angle matches where he provides insight into him as a wrestler. Definitely needs more energy though. Also, I agree the music isn't great. Everyone has a generic late 90s/early 2000s theme. TNA need to get with the times, as do WWE for that matter. I disagree on that last point though. I think the worked shoot angles are a lot better than just your prototypical backstage interview. They're something different and I think they serve their purpose well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its the little things that matter as far as production values go.

I hate the crappy little railing that goes round the crowd, but it could easily brightened up with some banners going round.

I wish the commentators were in view, half the time I forget they're even there... Maybe in the middle of the crowd, although I respect that may involve mic problems. Agree with guy who suggested Bischoff to replace Tenay.

Music, yes, is awful. I know people don't think its worth the licencing fees, but with a clustered roster of wrestlers with very similar music, its vital to establish yourself as an individual.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
id have advertising all over the show.

like how soccer matches have advertising hoarding round the pitch.

Id have that in stead of guardrails and shit.

make it look more sport like, like UFC ppv's.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
id have advertising all over the show.

like how soccer matches have advertising hoarding round the pitch.

Id have that in stead of guardrails and shit.

make it look more sport like, like UFC ppv's.
A genuinely awesome idea. The revenue they could generate would from advertisements in the ring, on the guardrails etc would be great for the company. It would also give it that sports feel that wrestling abandoned decades ago.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I can't hate on OP's post. (although I still like TNA) I agree with mostly everything. Although I actually do like the way they do the backstage stuff. And I disagree about the PPV's- ring action wise, they usually deliver. But seriously who wants to order a PPV in the fucking impact zone, where they tape every other show from? there is no 'Big show' feel to it, that would make people want to cough up the money to buy it.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Substantial opinion. I prefered the production values of 2009, before the shaky camera, which while interesting is very overused. Commentary could be much better too. They've got Don West yet pay Tazz a six figure salary.

X division should be something special. They pay these guys per night and WWE rarely sign non-muscular guys, so why not bring in the likes of El Generico, Prince Devitt, Kenny Omega and Jack Evans on a part time basis? Tag division is something WWE doesn't book properly, so they should flesh it out. For example, put Crimson and Gunner into a team because they aren't ready for the main event. I'd also sign John Morrison and MVP (if he's willing to quit Japan).

TV is more consistent than in years, only now it is bland! Make it a bit more exciting. If we are going to rehash, don't do another Hogan/Flair, book a new Main Event Mafia led by Bobby Roode. That group name brought some of the promotion's biggest ratings.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I really don't get why people complain about the show not being live. Most fans don't know whether it's live or not. And in imo reading results don't really spoil anything because they're just a brief summary of the show.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts