Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :)

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was one of the popular superstars in his day, he was over with the crowd, he was good in the ring, and had good mic skills that fitted his gimmick, and he was the first winner of the Royal Rumble.

But despite all that, Duggan never got a run with the WWF title or any belt for that matter.

Why ?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
He didn't need a title to be over and back in the day the IC title was usually used to raise somebody up a level or two and the World title was saved for the true stars who drew money. Duggan while over and marketable never really ticked any of the boxes to need a title.

·
There's only one of me
1,220 Posts
Hacksaw won the first-ever Rumble, so I was surprised that he didn't eventually win the IC title around that time frame. Figured that was going to propel him a bit, but it never happened.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,460 Posts
Hacksaw was incredibly over, and didn’t need the assistance of the WWF Title or IC Title to get over. Plus, who would believe Jim Duggan as WWF Champ in the late 80s of the WWF. He couldn’t beat Savage or Hogan with a pinfall.

Prior to the WWF, Duggan has a more serious run in Mid South Wrestling with Bill Watts, where it would have been much more believable for him to have a run as Heavyweight Champ, as he had a more serious character, and the atmosphere of the company was different. At this point in time, Duggan did enjoy a run as the promotions Heavyweight Champion, being the last holder of the Mid South North American Heavyweight Championship before the switch to the UWF.

·
HEADBANGA
22,481 Posts
He wasn't the champ because they already had a super patriot hero in Hogan. Duggan was more of the everyman who was more of an underdog than anything else (at least what my memory remembers).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
And Steve Austin's career in WCW never recovered.
That was a wired win. I don't even understand why they had to do that.
Austin was scheduled to win. Hogan told Duggan not to do the job and had a bitch at Bischoff who was pandering to his every whim.

Bischoff then promised Austin his win back, Hogan told Duggan not to do it again. Austin then got injured, eventually getting his win back in a meaningless match the following year, at which point it didn't matter as Duggan wasn't US champ anymore.

It makes it even more pathetic, that Austin was scheduled to join the 4 horsemen and be primed for the world title.

·
Premium Member
44,049 Posts
Jim Duggan never needed a title. The fans already loved him, which made up for his limitations as a worker.

As a character, he was a loveable goofball, everyman babyface that could effectively be used to pop the crowd, rub off on other babyfaces by associating with him (through Survivor Series teams or something like that) or get heat on a heel. I argue that Duggan did wonders for Slaughter heading into Mania VII, Yokozuna heading into Mania IX, and a very young Shawn Michaels in 93. To this day, I still remember Slaughter beating him up, Yokozuna injuring following their knockdown challenge, and the moment where Shawn weaseled away with the IC Title and Duggan taking over the show and refusing to leave until Michaels came back to face him was an early Raw moment, and was followed up really well with their Lumberjack match (which IIRC, happened the next week).

Some people look back on him winning the 88 Rumble as a mistake, but personally, I have no issue with it. That was before the Rumble really meant anything, and they gave the win to a massively over babyface where nothing was really on the line, so as an introduction for the Rumble, it worked fine.

However, giving him a title just seems to stretch beyond what the character is meant for. That's one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of him winning the US Title in WCW. He's kind of like Junkyard Dog in that regard. Why put a belt on him? The fans love him, he's over, and you can use him far more effectively in other areas.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Also, the last WCW TV Champ. I mean, technically, he found it in the garbage and started defending it, but still counts apparently.

Three months later.

2:25

He defended it for two months and then they scrapped it again.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Most of the answers have been covered. All I can add is much like the Sheepherders/Bushwackers Vince turned Jim into more of an over the top comedy act then the serious guy he was before hand. In the end he did not have much gold but had much green and I would think that is more important to him.

Reactions: jpickens
1 - 20 of 30 Posts