Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally was ratted out as a wrestling fan by my brother this past weekend, while screaming at Survivor Series at 2 in the morning.

He posed me a question that I'm pretty sure every wrestling fan must have been asked at some point: "Why don't you just watch MMA or something? At least that's real."

So I thought I'd pose this generic question to you, the IWC.

Why DON'T you just watch MMA or some other such programming?

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
I do watch MMA. I tune into WWE (and TNA) for entertainment and storyline purposes, of course I can appreciate and point out stars that are actually good at wrestling and the technical side of ring-work, but ultimately I am tuning for the storylines, sort of like a soap opera I suppose.

I disagree with anyone who says "I only watch for the wrestling", if that was the case you'd go and watch NCAA or whatever. Or at the very least indie stuff and more specifically, the stuff over in Japan.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
I watch both.

I honestly don't know why some people don't see that as an option. They're two completely different worlds.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Because I like to watch Pro Wrestling? :confused: I watch MMA every now and then but I'm just more of a wrestling fan when it comes to MMA vs Pro-Wrestling. I've always been more of a nerd when it comes to my entertainment so something like Pro-Wrestling would just naturally be more interesting for me. I've always like the very larger then life characters and all the unrealistic moves are a beauty to watch.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Because MMA is a pack of bastards , they only put the good fights on PPV for like $50 , and its all around hard to follow or even give 2 shits about the fighters

Also because 90% of all matches seem to turn into 2 guys fucking hugging each other on the cage wall or the floor for entire round after entire round , REAL interesting right?

I love wrestling simply BECAUSE its fake , you should tell your dumbass brother that some TV show he watches is fake and then say (Lets just say Burn Notice for the sake of arguement) "Oh gee well Burn notice is fake so why do you watch that hmm? They aren't REALLY shooting people or REALLY blowing things up!"

People are fucking stupid , yes wrestling is fake , yes everybody fucking knows that... you're supposed to accept and EMBRACE that and accept it as a TV show , and if they don't understand that they're fucking stupid.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Simple, I grew up watching wrestling. Even though MMA is real, that doesn't matter to me. NBA is real competition too, i don't watch that either. Even though I know wrestling is scripted, I watch for the effort that the wrestlers put into it. I know somebody thats a pro wrestler, and he busts his ass to do it.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,249 Posts
I'm just not a fan of it. Just like I really don't enjoy watching other sports like Boxing, Nascar, or tennis.

·
Man Who's Got a Machine Gun
3,855 Posts
I do watch MMA. Wrestling is just a lot more appealing to me. The action is a lot faster paced. You'll never see a moonsault or a hurricanrana in MMA. Everything is either punching, kicking or wrestling around on the mat. They'll do the occasional slam (if you're watching Rampage) or judo throw, but those are rare. Wrestling is a lot easier to watch.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
It's boring

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a low attention span. That shit is boring.
Same. I'd like to see actual fights, but I guess I expect to see more blatant violence from them for them to be entertaining. I can certainly respect someone who is powerful enough to make someone else submit after keeping them in a hold for 3 minutes straight, but hell if I'm going to watch the whole thing.

·
We Are Legion
484 Posts
I watch MMA.. WEC, UFC, Pride w/e.

But do you really think you will get a non bias opinion on a entertainment wrestling site? I figure much of these above response are the types you would get on a MMA site talking about WWE, TNA or so on.

·
Registered
891 Posts
So I finally was ratted out as a wrestling fan by my brother this past weekend, while screaming at Survivor Series at 2 in the morning.

He posed me a question that I'm pretty sure every wrestling fan must have been asked at some point: "Why don't you just watch MMA or something? At least that's real."

So I thought I'd pose this generic question to you, the IWC.

Why DON'T you just watch MMA or some other such programming?
The biggest thing non-wrestling fans don't understand is the fact that we KNOW its fake, and that's what most of us actually like about it.

Pro wrestling is visually impressive. Real fights arent. Simple as that. The fact that these people can go out there and execute sequence after sequence of moves with the precision they do and at the same time AVOID seriously hurting each other or themselves (most of the time) is astonishing - but any 2 people in the world can inflict violence on each other.

If you watch an action sequence in say, a Jackie Chan movie - those things are visually impressive...but think about how many takes it probably took to get it 100% right with the timing of all the moves and counters. Now look a a Pay Per View match. It's like a 10, 20, sometimes even 60 minute action sequence done in one take with no edits. And at the same time they're trying to tell a story and have the pressure of keeping a LIVE AUDIENCE of THOUSANDS engaged in what theyre doing.

Now if your brother can't appreciate the art and talent in something like that, then theres no hope for getting through to him - because with wrestling people either get it, or forever look at it like oiled up men rolling around.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts